Opinions on Bit Defender IS 2008?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Simon6776, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon6776

Simon6776 Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Is anyone using the above, and how do you find it? I have heard that there may be a problem with torrent clients, which has been posted on the BD forums, in that some torrent clients seem to cause BDIS 2008 to deactivate all it's protection! Further to this, I use uTorrent and last time I tried a version of BDIS, I couldn't get the firewall to allow port forwarding for it.

The reason I'm asking is that I have a license for BDIS, and am looking for a temporary alternative to F-Secure, which currently has a problem with the right click scan on Windows XP (it doesn't work). FSIS are apparently aware and will be issuing a fix, but I thought this might be an opportunity to check out what else is out there.

How do the various components of BDIS compare to FSIS? Is protection and detection as good with each?

TIA,

Simon.

2. dNor

dNor Registered Member

Total Security 2008 installed for a while now and it's been running fine. I found it on their website (don't understand the question?). I use torrents qutie a bit and uTorrent has been working great, with ports forwarded. Protection still seems to be fine when using uTorrent, maybe I'm an exception?

3. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

UTorrent 1610 working fine with BD IS 2008.

4. Simon6776

Thanks, I know where to get it from, I meant how do you find it, as in what do you think of it? ;)

I was looking more at BDIS 2008, not the Total Security product, as I don't have a license for that, and don't need the extra facilities either. :)

5. dNor

dNor Registered Member

Oh I see, sorry. It's been great so far. The main complaint I have is that during updates it requires a reboot sometimes, which is annoying and unnecessary.

I understand. As TS is just IS with a few more components I figured I'd give my insight on uTorrent, since they would have the some issues.

6. Simon6776

Thanks!

7. bobmitch

bobmitch Registered Member

I have been using it for a couple of weeks, now. Love it!!! I used to use Trend Micro PC-Cillin Internet Security 2008...and it became very "heavy" on the system and tended to slow things down. Then I got the chance at Total Security 2008 from Bitdefender. Having uninstalled TM and installed this suite...it was like putting a more powerful processor in my machine. I went from 895 mb of ram used to 370 mb. System resources vastly improved with BitDefender. Only misgiving is the Parental controls...they seem to make Vista load slowly...and seem locked up on bootup. Once I disabled (since I don't use)...things were great. I highly recommend BitDefender Total Security 2008. Lots of protection and tools galore.

Bob

8. jlo

jlo Registered Member

I bought 2 licences a few months back but just found it very buggy on both my Wifes Vista laptop and my Visa desktop with regular problems with the firewall and on access scanner getting disabled for no reason.

I put in numerous request to support, was told to send in a log file which I did each time and I never heard back from them.

I believe the issues have been fixed but I migrated my licence to Dr Web. I am still very impressed with there detection rates and if its stable on your machine I would be very happy with it.

Just my view.

Best wishes

Jlo

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

you do realise your licence for bitdefender still works, migration to drweb does not cancel your existing AV licence.

10. jlo

jlo Registered Member

I did not realise that. May try it again sometime.

CHeers.

Jlo

11. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Hello dNor

The reason why you sometimes have to reboot is because product upgrades are also being downloaded during the normal update procedure. You can check it when you right click on the BitDefender icon near the system clock and click on info.

Hello Simon6776

I use BitDefender Internet Security 2008 but I don't have any serious problems. The only thing is that the Antiphising part sometimes get disabled but that is solved by unchecking and checking the option again.
    Also no problems with an bittorent client.

I can't compare with f-secure because I never used it.

12. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i actually REALLY like bd2008. if it was a bit lighter and a bit smoother it would have been my final choice as far as price vs performance ratio and detection rates, it has a nice layout and a lot of great features. the one thing keeping it from my system is it "roughness" meaning to me it was very buggy. i had times where the firewall would be off id turn it on then it would be off again next time i checked, things like that. overall i really like bd2008 though it is a nice package.if they could make it a bit more solid id have it right now

13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

bitdefender suite is extremely light already, hmm

14. zfactor

it was more "rough" than heavy... i mean it almost seemed kinda choppy in a way. just didnt run smooth. seemed to make programs open a bit choppy.. hard to describe but the system wasnt smooth and seamless with it running like it was with avira or even kis runs more seamless on my pc's...it was not at all a issue of it using to many resources, sorry if you didnt understand my point.

15. Simon6776

Thanks for the comments so far. :)

I have to say, it is slightly worrying that certain components can seemingly be disabled, and surely this would weaken the whole system? Is there any sort of warning given when something is switched off, or is it a question of keeping check? I would find that quite tiresome and would be less than confident in the suite if bits of it keep dropping off.

That said, it is lighter than FSIS, and I like the general layout, but some of the options are a little hard to find. Haven't done a full scan yet, so can't compare speed or detections, although I hope this isn't like the Bulldog suite, which found hundreds of false positives.

16. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Registered Member

I just switched to Bit Defender Total Security 2008 and liked it so much, I bought a 2 yr license. It's nice and lite with no real slow downs and it seems to be doing VERY well in most of the security tests(at least the AV part). I used to use KIS, but Version 7 just bogged my PC and browsing down. Then I switched to ESS, but that's presently too buggy. For the person above who had support issues, be glad they responded and actually fixed the bug. That's more than I can say for ESS.

So far, the only 2 issue I had were...

1. I got a notice that a part of BD stopped and had to be restarted(which it did). I have not had any issues of things being disabled.

2. Initially, when I tried to use Citrix software to connect to my office, it blocked Citrix, unless I completely turned off BD. However, what I discovered is that, for some reason, with Cisco VPN running(that connected fine), BD would not ask for access for Citrix, when I ran it. But when I ran Citrix without Cisco VPN running, BD DID ask for access. Once I granted access without VPN running, Citrix worked fine with VPN running.

17. zfactor

well this and the bulldog suite both use the same bitdefender engine for detection so i would assume they would both flag the same fp's.. maybe not but both are bitdefender engines. even though im now using kis7 im def going to give bd another go when i have some more time to sit with it for a while i did really like the full suite

btw where is everyone finding these 2 year 25$ lic or whatever price they are ive read a lot of people on here found these really cheap bd2008 lic's id like to grab them at that price in case i want to switch later on. thanks

18. Simon6776

I got my license for BDIS 10 (OEM) from Ebuyer. :)

19. zfactor

20. Simon6776

Yes, but not for the Total Security version.

21. dNor

dNor Registered Member

About a month ago their site had a huge discount on multiple user and year licenses. 3 user/2 year for TS was cheaper than 1 user/1 year for IS. It could be different now. :eek:

This site also had IS 3user/2year for $20 after rebate with free shipping but it expried. It seems BD discounts are pretty common and happen a lot though.

22. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Hello zfactor

Your licence must not be expired yet otherwise you have to buy a new licence with a discount. For the rest what Simon6776 wrote is correct. But you can only upgrade from BitDefender Antivirus to BitDefender 2008 but I suppose that you already knew that.

Best regards
    Niels

Hello Simon6776

Normally you can't kill the realtime protection processes in taskmanager because of BitDefender self protection service that should be running. To check that go to start,run,type devmgmt.msc press enter. Go to the view (display) menu click on show hidden devices now expand non plug and play compatible drivers double click on the entry called BDSelfPr it should be enabled click on the driver tab status should be started (running) and system type should be set on request. Press on apply and ok. Yes,the status in BitDefender Security Center will change to critical warning if you have the graph bar you will see a red cross when certain parts are disabled.

Best regards
    Niels

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  23. Simon6776

Hi Niels,

Yes the BDSelfPr entry seems to be fine, but the one above it, BDRSDRV has a yellow exclamation mark by it, and when I click on it, it says "This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24)". Is this something to worry about?

Simon.

24. s4u

s4u Registered Member

I think BD 2008 is a pretty decent program. Works smooth and fast. Only cleaning is not that good

25. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Hello Simon6776

That is a remaint of previous BitDefender version. Version 2008 doesn't have that entry that is also the reason why you see a yellow exclamation mark. You could disable it by rightclicking on it or even uninstall it by right clicking on it and choose uninstall (remove). But if you are using a version prior then 2008 then you have to enable registry control.

Best regards
    Niels

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.