Opinions on Avira Personal 2013?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by drhu22, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

I tried this method in one machine with the latest free avira for a friend that just refuse to use anything else. It doesn't work anymore, funny how Avira rapidly block those circumvent hacks yet neglects other important areas :gack:
    the tollbar is a lot more important to their wallet, more than customers :thumbd:

2. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

No one answered whether you could run avwebgrd as a service yet, re my previous post.

Anyone?
    (maybe its a dumb question)

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

You do have a bizarre ethical code: You try to hack somebody else's product, and then you resent the owner of the product for doing something about it. Furthermore you are not a customer technically speaking, you are just a free user. Customer=a person who purchases goods or services from another. User=a person or thing that uses.

4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i agree when it comes to free products. i have zero issues with them putting a add or something in a FREE product. personally i dont use any free stuff unless there is no other version. i always pay for the lic fee to use it if i like it. now on the other hand if i had to deal with adds in paid software that i will not do. a lot of people do not agree with me on this and think even the free products should be add free but you are being allowed to use it for FREE there has to be some way they make something even on free users which if a company soley gave out free product and did not make zero revenue from those products they would not be here to provide that item or service anymore.

5. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

My bad, the registry actually works, thank you 7anon.

6. er34

er34 Guest

As it was mentioned, you are not a customer - you are just free users of the code, the brand and the program.

The point of having free program is to make the brand AVIRA more popular, more known among the users and among potential customers so that people trust the brand. And if a user has AVIRA free at home (free = zero $ and zero Euro), then this user could offer AVIRA business product to be used at the workplace. And here is exactly where the efforts of AVIRA company actually pays off. AVIRA company offers the most expensive business product (their business products price is the most expensive - if one of the most expensive*).

Since the above described strategy does not work 100% as expected and since AVIRA wants more money from their big mass of users - they decided to cowork with somebody (like ASK**) to make money from their free or paid users. ASK gives AVIRA money for any toolbar installed and that is why they try to keep it on your machine. Let's say that 20 000 users of AVIRA install the toolbar and ASK gives them 50 cents for each => this counts 10 000 euros for the company - for doing pretty much nothing. And the users are even more. Nothing more than ... business! AVIRA company knows how to do business.

* I have made investigation because my company was once AVIRA partner - their business products are the most expensive - I could not find more expesinve than theirs. And the price is a lot higher (50%+) when compared to vendors like ESET or Avast, for example.
    ** AVIRA could work with other vendors like Google - for example Avast does the same - Avast promoted Google toolbar or Google Chrome - which also gives the company $. But Google's reputation is (yet) not that bad among the masses. AVIRA decided ASK - perhaps this would give them more money.

7. anon

anon Registered Member

1. AVIRA free at home / AVIRA business product to be used at the workplace.
    IMHO, logical leap .

2. Crapware bundled in paid products? For me it's unacceptable.

3. AVIRA company knows how to do business? Only time will tell.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Maybe you do, I only hope it is a bit more constructive than what I've read so far about Avira.

9. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

ot posts removed. Be civil

10. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

does avguard.exe really need ~150mb in the RAM?

11. anon

anon Registered Member

Avira Premium on Windows 8 Pro 32-bit:
    Avira On-Access Service (avguard) = 7,0 ~ 34,2 MB RAM.

12. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

Thanks, ugh, memory leak

13. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

I always liked avira before, they had great detection rates and removal. Now recently I really don't know what to think. The decision to bundle crapware with their product confuses me (avast! offers web protection for free, they can to) I have seen their detection rates slipping slowly since about 09 and recently there has been some major inconsistencies in the free product when I used it. I was doing testing on a virtual box and before I tested a link/sample I checked it through VT first, and if it was detected I would download it anyways for whatever reason but most of the time that sample that was detected on VT was NOT detected on my machine with the latest definitions. That combined with the crapware bundled in and a seemingly disregard for their free product pushed me away from them.

IMO I might seem ignorant in saying this to some but it is my strong belief that it is the year 2013 now, EVERY solid footed AV/AM company out there should offer atleast 1 free product that is wholy supported and meets the demands of a AV nowdays (Web protection/email ect.)

14. javagreen

javagreen Registered Member

I don't mean to interject, but I respectfully disagree with this assessment of yours.

"Free" product users are customers too, in the sense that they make up one of the most (if not THE most) important metric of a product's success - number of actual users of said free product.

If the free product user likes the product and the brand, they will gladly move up to one of the premium paid offerings and become a paying customer. It's foolish to dismiss them. Hell, that's why free products are put out in the first place.

15. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Not forgetting also that "free" users are also potential paying customers so in that respect the free users should be given precedence irrespective of product or company.

16. ght1

ght1 Guest

I would never buy a product based on "freeware" with ads and toolbars. I don't support nagware! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.