opinions of vista atm?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lodore, Feb 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello,
    i was wondering what people's experiences with vista are like atm
    1.is the UAC driving you nuts? or did you turn it off on the first day?
    2.had any bsod yet?
    3. is it stable?
    4. had any random freezes?
    5. any programs that you use alot and not vista compatible yet?
    I know its in the early stages atm but i just wonder how things are going for your pc or laptop with vista on it.
    I still wonder why that person in the link from the other day would dump mac and get vista it seems insane. dump a operating system that has proven reliably for a operating system that has only just come out of beta its not really a good test.
    I am normally the first to hate apple but after reading about it recently I think apple is definatly ahead and has had most of vista's features for years and is more reliable. if only i could afford a mac and dual boot OS X with e.g. open Suse and run windows in parallels for mac for testing secuirty software it would be almost like heaven:D
    lodore

2. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Re: opintions of vista atm?

1. Turned off UAC. Though it turned it off so I could use Ad Muncher instead of it being annoying.
    2. No BSOD.
    3. Stable yes. Well minus crappy creative drivers that make playing any audio take 50%+ CPU usage. Had to go to KX drivers.
    4. No.
    5. Ad Muncher (works, but have to turn down security settings), some laptop fan control software

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Re: opintions of vista atm?

1. turned it off with vlite
    2. i think just one
    3. yeah
    4. no
    5. comodo and prevx1

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i found out that xp home oem is £50 and vista premium oem is £73
    so its £23 more for vista and aero and the rest.
    is it stable enough atm?
    because i was thinking is it worth getting vista premium for £20 more when i get my cheap dual core pc?
    i mean £20 isnt much more for the features in vista even if its just for aero or just a few features.
    I wouldn't need vista for the secuirty thou.
    on the other hand i could just buy xp home for £50 and then use third party software and tweak it the way i like it.
    would aero work well on a nvidia 7600 gs or gt?

for those people who have vista premium atm would you go back to windows xp? or would you never go back to xp and keep vista?
    lodore

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Aero runs fine with my 6600gt so im sure itll be fine on a 7600gs/gt.

ive gone back to xp just because i like tweaking.

6. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

vista is running very well on one of mty fathers office pc...there have been no BSOD's,no hang-ups nothing...

7. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Being a former HIPS user so it doesnt bother that much, but will turn it off when Prevx1 is compatible.
    Nope Yes. yesterday (2/24)I had my first BSOD. I installed Port Explorer in Vista. It gave me a BSOD during restart, but only once. Maybe windows did repair something in the next reboot?
    Yes
    No
    Drweb AV
    Prevx1
    ShadowProtect
    Comodo Firewall

*edit* updating.

I have had Vista installed for a couple of weeks now and starting to like it more and more now that my favourite apps (like Prevx1, FDISR) are starting to get compatible. Drweb takes it´s time, but AVast Antivirus is doing a pretty good job too (probably a keeper), and it is free. So no worries on the AV side anymore.

I have now, with Prevx1 being compatible and found a decent AV and Firewall (Look´n´stop) compatible with Vista, disabled UAC and Vista is much nicer to use. Fast and pretty. :)
    Now I am only waiting for games (and nvidia drivers) to become compatible and most of all Directx 10 compatible.

My only worry is that every time I start Vista something in svchost.exe scans all the files in my harddrives for 5-4 minutes. I cant figure out what it is. I have disabled indexing for the fast file search, windows defender and never download malicious software removal tool.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  8. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Hello sukarof..... http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/175801

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.