Opinions of F-Secure??

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by jdong, Jul 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdong

jdong Registered Member

I'm sorta (ok, VERY) new here, so forgive me if a topic like this has already existed... Tried searching, only got a few mixed tidbits o_O

What do you guys think of F-Secure? I'm a current F-Secure user, former Dr. Web, McAfee, NOD32, Norton, KAV, GAV, you-name-it-AV user...

2. trippinhard

trippinhard Registered Member

hi jdong. ok ive done pretty much what you have tried a looot of av's , and ill probably be going back to f-secure. I love how it detects a virus inside a folder (archive) on entry , whenever im downloading something malicious f-secure curupts the file (like it will download extremely fast) and then f-secure pops up tellin me it has a virus. it has outstanding protection with those 3 engines. I think i would rather have one program to cover it all or 2 than have 3 just to be safe , only reason i left is that on my old machine whenver my system rebooted within windows f-secure would not reappear so i would have to reboot again and it did cause a little slow down on some things, but i will probably reformat and put it back on. hope this helped

3. Bdiamond

Bdiamond Registered Member

I liked the program but, on my machine, had some minor but annoying problems with interference between the resident scanner and other programs. Generally this was manifest as difficulty opening them.

There were, however, major problems if any other program was performing any sort of scanning function.

I am just running a very plain XP machine. I could "live" with it but think, over time, it coule be fairly annoying.

Bdiamond

4. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

well john you know what i think of f-secure....here's another opinion: http://forum.gladiator-antivirus.com/index.php?showtopic=1744
    again i must say that most troubles people have with f-secure are because of wrong kind of settings.. you can configure it so that it slows your system...

5. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

bdiamond try to disable f-secure when you do searches or scans with other programs.. your trouble is because when f-secures real time protection is enabled you're double scanning all files, first with f-secure and second by the other program.. you'll only have to disable the real time protection

6. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

It did well here http://www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/default.asp?id=59&mnu=59
    has anyone tried the F Secure internet security suit with the firewall .?

7. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

yes i'm currently trialing it. the av is just a colourful gui added+ cofigurating is like kav lite: normal medium high. there is an option to configure it traditionally like in fsav5.41, different settings for each component..
    i somehow didn't like the firewall, it's like an application based with the ability to create custom rules.. like zapro but it doesn't have the privacy features like zapro(which i like much) try it for yourself

8. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Naaa thanks :) It looks good , but I will stick with what Iv got me thinks. I dont use zapro but were impressed with e Trusts firewall which is like zone alarm pro . but only $19 the second year of liscence. $ 39 the first ITs privacy settings were real good .

9. jdong

jdong Registered Member

ok, thx for the input, guys...

From all the AV's I tested, FSAV is best.... at least on my system.

I've heard a few horror stories about FSAV on others' computers, but since I've never had any problems, I'm a happy user!

10. TAG97

TAG97 Registered Member

Hi jdong, what did you like and not like about the other six?
    Regards
    Tim

11. jdong

jdong Registered Member

Good Question... I'll break it down:

**Dr. Web**: Poorly poorly _POORLY_ designed interface, realtime protection settings changes need restart!?!?!, not-too-good English translation...

McAfee: The whole Security Center thing, plus the baby-ish designed new version (beta :cool:

NOD32: Excellent speed (ok, AMAZING speed!), good detection/heuristics. But I can't stand their new-password-every-month idea... Still a good AV, and will always be in my mind...

Norton: Lack of unpackers, no 'prompt-on-infection' mode for NT/2k/XP, Quite resource intensive (with no special purpose!)

KAV: best engine of all, but their RTM has a few bugs (like killing defrags, random freezing, etc). Good, nice, powerful AV.

GAV: Discontinued :(

Some-other-AV's:

Avast: Good and free; still lacks unpackers, defrag interactions, too.

AVG: Lacks unpackers; cool free AV, seems on the slow side... :-/

eScan: Nothing special; just a shell-over-KAV...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.