Opinions of Comodo Firewall Pro 3.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by 3xist, Mar 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

the only thing i don't like about comodo
    is that i can search
    for example in defend+ in computer security policy
    i can type for a search
    but for example if i want to search for nod32
    i can't type nod32 , it doen't find it
    i have to type C:\programs files\nod32 ->so it the search feature works
    but it's boring

by the way i know there some nice skins ,but don't know where grab them

ps comodo rocks!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

2. Doodler

Doodler Registered Member

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  3. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

So because me and vettetech were screwing around everyone elses oppinion does not count?

Everyone knows im a comodo fanboy but all the other oppinions are users who switched from another firewall or really like cfp.

4. feck

feck Registered Member

Seems that Comodo 2.4 was a bit easier - to learn anyway. CFP3 took a while to get used to (at 1st I admit I was frustrated) but once it settled in it has been a great relief; knowing how tightly I'm protected.
    I think, like anything worth it's salt, it's worth the effort. I realized I was either gonna have to spend some time or some $$$, and decided I wanted a more "hands on" configuration anyway.
    Now it's a piece of cake. So either I've got Stockholm syndrome or it's not as tricky as I 1st thought. Others I tried seemed entirely too easy, and not to provide much in the way of protection.
    In my opinion CFP3 is without a doubt the best free firewall available.

5. feck

feck Registered Member

Oh, and I checked out that link from Doodler...I'm not sure what you're seeing there that warrants reporting, imho.

6. Doodler

Doodler Registered Member

IMHO, a forum should be a place for posters of all skill levels (novice to experts) to be welcomed and encouraged to ask questions and receive thoughtful and helpful advice and comments. If one wants a highly-regarded forum, then integrity is important and posters should be honest, polite, and take the high road.

Here we have a poster who repeatedly recommends a product, but apparently also has a relationship in the development of that product. That doesn't mean that poster shouldn't offer comments, but that poster should disclose his involvement. In addition, that poster boasts in another forum of being banned from Wilders, but comes back under a different name. And that same poster also boasts of being a "spy" in a firewall competitor's forum.

I have nothing against anyone. But I'm not okay with that type of behavior and I don't think it falls within the spirit of what a good forum should be about. And so yes...it causes me to wonder the true intent of why this thread was started.

7. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Vette has nothing to do with development of cfp. He works as a GM technician.

I don't understand what that has to do with this thread. Are you saying all forums should be boring.

Unless you didn't even read my post above.

Peter a moderator here at wilders is an admin at tallemu's forums, he does not tell that to everyone. There is nothing wrong with that so why is there something wrong with a member being here at wilders and comodo forums?

8. Seer

Seer Registered Member

There are (and was in the past) many Comodo threads which are really nothing more than a marketing - "Comodo is so great blah blah..." type of thing. But marketing is simply a trick to present your product in the best possible way to an audience unfamiliar with it. Note that the "best possible" will involve stressing the good and screening the bad aspects of a product.
    In case of security software, one needs to take an objective stand, and this does not go hand-in-hand with the principles of marketing.

Comodo approach seems to rely heavily on these principles (stressing of leakproof), and for this sole reason, even if their flag product is decent, I don't like this vendor and will not use their firewall until the approach changes.

9. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

A members status or affiliations are not open for discussion. I will have no problem in editing/deleting posts that continue in such a direction, or even closing the thread.

Please keep to topic "Opinions of Comodo Firewall Pro 3"

No more warnings will be made.

- Stem

10. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

Stem, have you given V3 a once over, and/or, do you have an opinion about the firewall?

11. HyperFlow

HyperFlow Registered Member

the thing I like about comodo pro 3 is that a person can bolt this thing down as tight as they wish or as loose as they like. it's very customizable and the D+ is second to non. it take a bit of time to learn all that can be done with it. it's a bit loud at first but after it learns the computer it's very quit smooth & lite as it can be. it has not slowed my surfing down any at all or any that i can tell but in all. I like this FW very much it does it's job and never gives me any trouble.:thumb:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  12. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I have only looked at earlier versions of the "3" release (due to lack of spare time).
    I do have spare time this weekend, as I have a need to look at a number of firewalls for ability to filter packets, I will add Comodo latest release to look at.
    NOTE
    Please be aware. I will be looking at packet filtering on open connection, not leaktests/hips

13. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

Thanks Stem.

14. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

If we are presenting the opinions of CPF3, let's see what I don't like about Comodo:
    1) It's hooking user mode functions like CreateDC and BitBlt. I don't want some graphic related functions to be hooked by a firewall (!). I suppose that they are trying to prevent screen capture made by some malware, but I think it's more paranoia then a real problem. What's worse, this hooking is made even if I disable HIPS and leak protection.
    2) Attack detection settings screws my high speed metropolitan link, on any combination of Traffic rate/Duration.
    3) Even with D+ disabled and no leaktest protection, I got "1 file(s) are waiting for your review". I thought this is a feature of D+, but apparently Comodo belives it should notify me about it.

15. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

Please, let us know what the results are for Comodo, ZA, Jetico2 and Outpost, if you have time and patience since you told that it takes 3 computers to test this or something like that.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2008
  16. 3xist

3xist Guest

Stem,

I would also like to know your findings for the latest CFP 3 version :)

3xist.

17. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

@Stem

I also would be interested in reading your findings on Comodo's latest D+ offering.

Personally and on first few days of review here locally it seems to have many pieces in the right place as regards coverages, the main problem just like with any HIPS is fine tuning the settings to get them stationed appropriately enough as to not miss important areas of concern.

As far as performance, i can say with some confidence that it so far shows me no signs of taxing resources and/or memory to the point of concern, and i run an enemic 512MB of CRUCIAL brand memory with a CPU rating of 1250 driving XP Pro SP2.

So like others, you can see where we would value some of your own insight and opinions of the latest D+.

Regards EASTER

18. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

He won't test the HIPS in Comodo.

19. Yoda1953

Yoda1953 Registered Member

Nice firewall, the hips is too much for me.

When in training mode it's acceptable but after that.....Jeeezzzzz. :blink:

20. HyperFlow

@ Yoda1953 I can see where you are coming from and all and i'm not being rood but C'mon I uninstalled comodo FW and put it back on and in less than 24hr it learned my pc D+ is in clean pc mode and the FW is in custom mode. and i have NOT had ANY and I mean ANY pop-ups from it. after it learned my sys i can not see where or unless your d/l programs one after the other or you got some kind of active trojan, mal-ware or some thing running on your sys but comodo is not that pop-up happy sorry but i think you would get the same reply from many comodo users.:D

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  21. Yoda1953

Yoda1953 Registered Member

Where I'm coming from. And an opinion is an opinion, OK?

22. HyperFlow

if thats what you call it...... c i can do 1 liners to:eek: & it should be this ! not ?

23. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

The D+ HIPS is definitely a very wild ride indeed. I'm content at this point to stick with EQS as goes HIPS because it would take way too much time to tone down Comodo's multi-alert system due to their HIPS alerts which are many.

Not to belittle them, but they obviously at this point are better at firewalls then HIPS at the present.

I always say a pure HIPS developer is a better bet then a firewall maker who is relatively new to HIPS and chooses to try to integrate one into their firewall, same goes for OnlineArmor.

Each respective field has it's own best specialty and it shows.

24. Bluenile

Bluenile Registered Member

Yep, I'm the same, unless I'm installing something D+ in Clean PC Mode is so quiet I don't even know it's there and so is the firewall in Train With Safe Mode .

25. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Settle down guys. Yoda expressed an opinion which is what this thread is about. It is not about opinions on his opinion.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.