Opinions of Comodo Firewall Pro 3.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by 3xist, Mar 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Do this. Its Comodo protecting its memory and its under your D+ log. Go to D+\Advanced\Computer Security Policy\Comodo Firewall Pro\. Click edit then click Protection settings. Click on the modify tab next to Interprocess Memory Access and add SAS.

2. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Do this, do that. I'm done with firewalls period. At least this week anyway. LOL. I really don't know why Comodo seems so troublesome for some. I have never had problems with any of the releases. It is however I believe, for the more PC savvy users.

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

sorry which version do u use?
    what' s about the packet filter of the 3 version ,is not top-notch?

4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I don't use Comodo (I don't like/want classical HIPS) but I played with one of the recent builds.
    I'm no expert, but pure packet filters and "old-school" firewalls seem to do deeper filtering of TCP traffic and they are much more flexible at writing rules for TCP filtering and other protocols filtering.

Comodo 3 is a HIPS first and foremost. Packet filtering isn't at the top of priorities. OTOH, packet filtering shouldn't be an issue for most home users.

5. mantra

mantra Registered Member

for example do u think are more secure outpost or look and stop

6. lucas1985

LnS is certainly a better packet filter (when properly configured). Don't know about Outpost, the last time I used it was too long ago.

7. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

Hi, Lucas.
    So what are you trying to say is that Comodo 3 doesn't have necessary SPI?
    What do you think about inbound protection of Comodo 3.0?
    How good it is, and what do you mean by UI flaws?
    To me, inbound protection is much more important than outbound protection in this very moment.
    Your opinions highly needed.
    Thanks.

8. lucas1985

Comodo does check TCP sequences (I think) but I don't know about the filtering of stateless protocols, ARP filtering, etc.
    I have no complaints if tests are something to go by. My testing was too short to include packet filtering. I'm sure that Stem and others have tested/are testing Comodo's filtering abilities.
    Zillon pop-ups, lots of places for rules, no easy access for the full ruleset, etc. It isn't easy to make a powerful HIPS while keeping good usability.

9. mantra

mantra Registered Member

but at last comodo pro 3 is better then outpost 2.7?

10. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

I wouldn't call zillion popups a UI flaw. There are lots of places for rules but that keeps it organized. It depends how you like configuring firewalls.
    For example NOD32 is strong, very configurable just like comodo and most people like it because of that. People just look at comodo differently due to it being a firewall and not an av.

And yes comodo does have many filtering capabilities but i think some of them are off by default to reduce browsing slow down which is why online armor may be slower online than comodo.

11. robinb

robinb Registered Member

explain what defense + is and does please

thanks
    robin

12. Dieselman

13. lucas1985

Outpost 2.7 is somewhat old, so the comparison wouldn't be fair.
    Don't get me wrong, Comodo is a good piece of software and it has potential, but it isn't "The Best Piece of Security Software" as the developers and fanboys want you to believe.
    IMO, there's too much hype surrounding Comodo.

14. Coolio10

There is no best. It all depends on the person.

15. Dieselman

No security software is the best. Be it a firewall or anti virus. The hype about Comodo is that its COMPLETELY FREE and it scores the highest by Matousec. It also has gotten Editors Choice by PC Mag and also CNET. You cannot complain about something that cost you nothing. Now if I spent $40 on a firewall and I wasn't happy then I would bitch. Comodo may not be for everyone but if you don't like then uninstall it and seek elsewhere.

16. robinb

robinb Registered Member

ok i installed comodo firewall Pro 3 and everything was fine except my computer (xp pro sp2) started to slow down. I read here opinions about defense + and when in and disabled it and now computer is much faster.

It takes a bit to configure and figure it out but once you get it set up I like it much better than zone alarm and it seems to use less memory and resources.

I put it on a test machine i use to test software and so it is doing nothing wrong.

robin

17. Dieselman

Comodo should not slow your pc down at all. Sometimes before D+ gives you an alert things are slow. Put the firewall and D+ in training mode for a week or so.

18. Doodler

Doodler Registered Member

Whether or not you choose to install Comodo Firewall Pro version 3 with Defense + activated depends on one big thing: Are you above-average in computer knowledge or not? Be honest with yourself in that assessment.

If you are anywhere between a novice to an average pc user, then my opinion is you will regret installing CFP with D+. It may be hard to define "novice to average", but I'm generally referring to someone who doesn't know a great deal about pc's, is an occasional user at best, and doesn't want to spend a heck of a lot of time having to learn how software works beyond just the basics.

I consider myself an average user. In early February I installed Comodo Firewall Pro version 3 with Defense + activated. I'll humble myself to this forum to telling everyone I spend hours and hours and hours trying to understand how the blasted thing worked but never felt like I could get my arms around it. "Wordward" summed it up well in a previous post when he referred to having to "Do this, do that". Yes...I read the tutorial and help sections and posted a bunch of questions in their forum. Despite that effort, for me CFP with D+ was rocket science compared to Nod32, SuperAntispyware, Spybot S&D, or CCleaner, all of which I currently use.

Nonetheless, I thought I would try to hang in there with CFP. But, as weeks went by, I slowly felt like I was serving it versus it serving me. For me, the last straw was when I tried running a routine CHKDSK on my pc (something I do every few weeks) and I had a major crash. I couldn't even boot in Safe mood, but luckily stumbled on Last Known Good Configuration (or something like that) and was able to get my pc up and running. Checking the Comodo forum I then discovered others were having the same problem and it appeared to be a bug related to CFP. It was time for me to kiss CFP goodbye and I uninstalled it a few days ago. But even the uninstall process turned into a nightmare. So much of CFP was left behind on my computer after the uninstall that Windows Firewall kept saying CFP was still installed and I couldn't revert back to WF. I checked out the Comodo forum again and, sure enough, there were a number of threads about that problem too. So I spent hours manually ripping it out of my registry and then had to reset Windows Firewall.

To an accomplished computer user, the experiences I just described are probably no big deal. But to those of us who are less skilled and, frankly, don't want the hassle, they are intimidating and like brain surgery.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but thought it may offer some guidance. In summary, if you are well-skilled with computers and believe you have a need for the super-robustness of a firewall and HIPS combination, then CFP with D+ may be a good option for you. Otherwise, I recommend steering clear.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  19. Dieselman

You claim setting up NOD32,SAS,CCleaner and Spybot are easy. This is true cause there isnt anything to set up. Honestly speaking I have installed and uninstalled Comodo several times on both my desktop and laptop and never had any problems getting it to uninstall. As far as CHKDSK. Why use it? I have never ever had to use it. I have had the same Windows install for over 3 years now with no troubles. If it ain't broke then leave it alone. D+ is no big deal. You use a program for the first time such as Firefox and click allow and trusted. Then you will never see the warning again. You can always but D+ in training mode till all the program you use most are used. Then switch back to clean pc mode. The first thing I do after installing Comodo which I did on my laptop the other day was manually add all my programs into the firewall and D+. That way there I am not slowed up my alerts. A firewall with HIPS takes setting up unlike a virus scan or anti spyware. As far as Comodo still showing in the security center. That happens with OA,TF and Comodo. Happened to me but easily fixed. Look at this post here. Proof that its not just Comodo. Ask ShaneR34.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=203940

20. Doodler

Doodler Registered Member

You are obviously infinitely more experienced and savvy with computers than I. So as I thought I clearly pointed out in my post, those at your skill level may find CFP v3 with HIPS perfectly acceptable. I certainly don't fault you for choosing to use it.

But for those who are less experienced and savvy with computers (humbly me...and perhaps most people), then I maintain that CFP with HIPS may be something to avoid. Indeed, you yourself said in an earlier post that "Comodo is not for novices". My post affirmed your statement and merely enhanced it, i.e., "novice to average" user.

Regarding the other programs I mention, they do have features that need to be set up. Your comment to the contrary is perplexing. In addition, whether or not I choose to use CHKDSK is my business. The point is, I don't think some third-party software should have a major bug that breaks it to the point where one can't even boot up his system.

Lastly, I am glad you have no problem uninstalling CFP. Again, that may be another indication of your remarkable skills. But take a walk through the Comodo forum and you'll find a highly-viewed sticky devoted to nothing but the CFP uninstall problem. In fact, the very first post there contains an acknowledgement of the problem and lengthy instructions to follow to manually remove CFP for when the uninstaller fails. (As an aside, it strikes me as being rather odd that Comodo themselves apparently didn't author those instructions, but rather a user of their software.)

21. 3xist

3xist Guest

Guys!!!

I created this TOPIC for OPINIONS. NOT "Ohh this Firewall is better" Topic. Opinions on Comodo Firewall Pro 3! The Arguments need to stop.

Cheers,
    3xist.

22. Eh_Greg

Eh_Greg Registered Member

23. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i'm using comodo and i have to say d+ is a nightmare
    pops up for every program i run , it doesn't leave me in peace:mad:

24. Dieselman

Use training mode. D+ will give an alert till every program is learned. Then you will not see that alert again. You can always add all your programs manually to the firewall and D+ which is what I do. USE TRAINING MODE.

25. Coolio10

Most people do not know how to use D+ effeciently because they do not read the helpfile.

A lot of people complain about D+ being noisy but i doubt they ever used the "treat as" rules. Every application i use commonly i just treat as trusted application and no more popups for that one application.

Others just pointlessly press allow until all the alerts finish.
    I believe comodo is the only firewall/hips that has predefined rules.
    I know agnitum also has predefined rules but its a firewall only.

Use what they give you to make life easier. They are in the process of easifying cfp with threatcast. As soon as comodo can be used by complete novices they will put in some amazing features.

OA has the "Run Safer" option and so does comodo but presents it in a different way by using predefined rules but knowone appreciates it as much as OA "Run Safer" because it is presented in a less complicated way. Its all about presentation of the features which is what OA does great. Comodo can probably do 95% of the things OA does but in a more complicated way.

So as i said before...READ THE HELPFILE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.