Opinion upcomming Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by rrrh1, Jan 14, 2016.

1. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Nice that ubuntu can now use the cinnamon desktop.Although i quite like ubuntu mate...So many distros to choose from lol

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

It works well, mostly. lol

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

True, nothing is perfect. Works for me anyway... ;)

4. Daveski17

My political views are irrelevant. Canonical didn't break the law (at least in my country) and constantly trolling about their 'spyware' is FUD and inaccurate. You just aren't getting this are you?

5. Daveski17

And the plus side is that it isn't Win 10. :)

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Haha.. Well, I won't go down that road with you, but yeah, on the plus side, it isn't Win *anything*... :)

I have a great image of Ubuntu here with Unity, Gnome 3, LXDE and Cinnamon DE's all installed and working great. It's fantastic!

7. Daveski17

I just wanted an alternative to Windows on a laptop. At the time I bought the Lenovo it was pretty obvious Win 8.1 was going to be replaced fairly soon. I nearly bought a MacBook but I kept hearing weird stuff about defective screens. I was running Trusty on my old laptop, which was on its way out, so when I chose a laptop with an OS installed it was a no brainer.

8. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

You just said you could understand "it" (my annoyance was implied) if Canonical did something "unforgivably awful". This implies that if they did something "unforgivably awful" (which falls into what you consider "political view"), it would be OK for me to complain.

I'm not trolling, and it's not FUD. Everybody is certain they spied on their users, they even disabled that feature in the next release (which is a plus).

If I maintaned a LOCAL-search package on a distro, and somewhere down the road decided to push a commit that allowed me to see what the users searched with that package and alsot to make money on it, it would simply rain knives on my head, people would call that a spyware without even blinking. Sure, I could create a "Privacy Policy" that I know almost nobody will read, but that's not the problem I had with the Ubuntu spyware. What I'm against, and I've said this many times, is that they were breaking the trust that existed in the Linux software community. In my example package, people never needed to read anything on it, because it didn't contain such features. So adding that feature to my package would be a bad thing without a doubt, because many users will never know that their searches/IP/etc are being sent to someone, and many of these would never agree on allowing that. That's why it's unethical.
    I just don't understand why some people don't consider it spyware just because it came from Ubuntu.
    And I don't mind such feature if it's opt-in, if the user sees a very well displayed letter that explains WHY Canonical is asking for that feature to be turned on. Everybody needs to eat, so at least ASKING FIRST would be the right thing to do.

I don't understand why sharing my opinion on this is so forbidden, according to you. Sure, it's annoying, but it fits on this thread, like people or not. YOU may find if inappropriate, but then again, that's your opinion, and I respect it, so I decided simply not to answer anything related to this subject anymore, at least not here. We may disagree on many things, it's just not worthy to do it here. Feel free to yell at me via PM, though ;)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  9. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

So no one is going to provide @rrrh1 a legitimate answer?

xxJackxx at least provided a link to an article that was informative. But from a novice users perspective, or someone that lacks the vocabulary of linux, that article does not mean much. What is Zfs file system for example? Gnome desktop? This good/bad?

Maybe a better question to ask is (as rrh1 requested, a viable alternative);

-In the current and future state of things, is linux generally moving in a direction that will be more accessible to new users, ie; simplicity / functionality / security and privacy.

-Can some buy a printer/keyboard, mouse, graphics card/ plug it in and expect it to work?

-How has it evolved over the years, adoption of schools or organisations?

-High end software development for linux, Adobe, AutoCAD, antimalware software, security options and implementations that dont require much knowledge or a command prompt.

regards.

10. Daveski17

I don't know why this is such a problem for you that you need to troll constantly about it. It is bordering the pathological. I'm not the only person on this thread that has noticed or commented on your behaviour. The ethics of Shuttleworth's decisions and how Canonical implemented them aren't the issue here. And yes, you are trolling.

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, understood. I have been contemplating what I'd do if I had to purchase again today, and that is one of my alternatives.

12. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

I only expressed myself on how I think Ubuntu could be a better alternative to Windows 10. This thread asked for opinions. I gave mine.

Unless you show me your degree on psychiatry or psychology and actually do a complete session with me, your "quick prognosis" is completely futile, irrelevant to the discussion, and clearly a cheap attempt of provocation.

I know that, and I know I am annoying when it comes to spyware. We all know that, and I'm completely OK when people say I'm annoying about it.

Not for you, maybe. My first post was about my opinion on how I think Ubuntu could be a better alternative to Windows 10. Some people dislike my point of view, but I have to say not many show such a "fanboyistic" behavior to the point where every response has to have a "hurr durr you're trolling" comment. We already discussed our points of view about this subject in another thread, there's absolutely no need to continue this discussion here. I hope you're actually reading up to this part.

When someone has a different opinion and we disagree on something, and this person extensively explains his/her poit of view, I don't call them "trolls" even if they say their views out loud a thousand times. I reply to the comments in question, and show my own point of view. It's called "mature debate".

13. Daveski17

The fact I could acquire a new laptop for a third the price of a MacBook that didn't have Windows preinstalled was the revelation. I think Canonical are going in the right direction with Ubuntu. I think it will be a while until they are a serious competitor to Microsoft or Apple though, if ever.

14. Daveski17

You really can't see that this is trolling, can you?

15. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

And, it seems it's always an "Archie" who berates Ubuntu the most (not all Archies, mind you...just the occasional one dangling too close to the precipice). It's been that way as far back as I can remember. I never could understand where all that negativism was coming from. BTW, yes, I used Arch before.

Bob

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yes, so far I have pretty much ruled out the iMac (which I had been considering) due to the high price tag compared to Win and Linux. I agree that Ubuntu is a solid contender and a good choice and that they appear to be making it even better nowadays.

17. Daveski17

I think dangling too near the precipice must make all the blood rush to the brain lol.

18. Daveski17

When I replace my desktop I will probably go for an iMac, but I don't plan on ditching Win 7 for a while. If I had to replace this laptop I could pretty easily get another one preinstalled with Ubuntu.

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, I have seen a few sources for preinstalled Ubuntu that look good. Heck, I don't even know whether I'd buy a desktop or another laptop yet. Let's hope our existing machines last for a while.. :)

20. Daveski17

There seem to be a few Dell laptops around with preinstalled Ubuntu at the moment.

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Most of the sites I saw that would build you a custom machine offered either Ubuntu or Mint, which makes sense I guess. It's nice to have at least a few alternative choices in a mostly Win World.

22. Daveski17

Yes, I've seen places this side of the pond that build custom laptops with a choice of Mint or Ubuntu. Amazon have offered laptops with Ubuntu 14.0.4 LTS and the Mint equivalent.

23. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Life is good... :)

24. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

25. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I was wondering why this thread is so long so fast. Now I know.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.