[Opinion] The best free firewalls you can get for Mac and PC

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ronjor, Jan 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/download-best-free-firewalls-for-mac-and-pc/

2. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

nice, short - and useless article...

stealthed ports - lol
    nothing is more traitorous (< hopefully the right word) than this to a hacker - anyway - if some private computer seems of interest its hacked another way. best way ever are dropped packets by router cause they dont have any receiver.

too bad that article does not comment out the problems which the mentioned software - eg. ZoneAlarm is really stupid and Tiny needs dotNET which is vulnerable itself wether it gets updates or not.

furthermore the list aint complete, too bad.

2c

3. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

What about Outpost Pro, Jetico, Online Armor, Private Firewall are they stupid and vulnerable so much as you claim that for ZoneAlarm and TinyWall?
    What about other firewalls which I did not mention?
    What firewall, antivirus and etc do you use?
    What are your security options that you use on your computer?

4. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

5. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Where's the love for built-in firewall? :p

6. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Webroot SecureAnywhere has handled this perfectly in my view, i.e. let the Windows Firewall handle inbound connections, whilst monitoring outbound connections for any malicious activity.

7. Dumb_Old_Fart

Dumb_Old_Fart Infrequent Poster

omg so funny you use google chrome or ie to browse the web to?

Microsoft cant be trusted no firewall can be trusted

that said gizmos is the best list i have seen

a while back avg and lots others started deleting all that they said was free or stolen software without warning

well i have passed software so i got what i look over allot of review sites and most site all said comodo

so for years i have run comodo nice easy exclude list with files folders or even whole drive not hard to setup

it also warns asks before quarantine crap and it never deletes files

avg and other's delete no way to save gone

also allot of the high name fancy pay for firewalls tend on the resource usage side

its more about care dont use browsers listed i use old version of firefox 19 they currently are up to ver 27

i like old its simple its not as looked for(your not safe just because of that)

i go as old as the add ons i like will work in anti phishing Google and other search engine scramblers search engine lier you search say dishwasher or something it sends them jimmies house of chicken or other random and funny at times

like firewalls its no guarantee

being careful scan the pc weekly dont panic over Microsoft updates

i ran xp with no updates for years no service pack nothing

just common sense and some good scanners

8. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Intego NetBarrier for the Mac.

You can buy their AV product but its unnecessary; Macs aren't susceptible to viruses and malware.

Its hard to configure the ipfw-based firewall but NB is a good graphical front end to it and the only thing one really needs to lock down a Mac.

9. prnoid_ntrepreneur

prnoid_ntrepreneur Registered Member

what is the best mac firewall (both paid and free) and do you need it if you're using tor and a vpn to prevent any leaks or open ports?

10. anthon

anthon Registered Member

Little Snitch (not free) for OSX is a nice GUI firewall to manage outbound connections but OSX got 3 built-in command-line firewalls : ALF , PF and the old IPFW.
    ICEFLOOR is a GUI for PF and WATERROOF is a GUI for IPFW.

I'm not an expert but a vpn/proxy is more about hiding your real IP or encrypting the data traffic or even reaching a private network than protecting you from malicious attacks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.