Opinion on Outpost firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by c0ltran3, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Good to see someone has done some homework. ;)

2. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Rasheed,
    This ResizeEnable job works in Win10. Amazing, considering it was written in 2003.
    In Outpost I resized the System guard window and was able to see all settings. Can't do copy and paste into Notepad, but can do complete long window screenies in each category.

Curiously, even though this little utility sets three hooks, Outpost, UAC, Defender, MBAM were totally silent. Hmmm.

I wonder if that part of HIPS settings are up to date, and geared to Win10. I also wonder how much they're needed considering how M$ claims they won't let you destroy the system.

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes, I have been using it for years on Win XP, and it also works on Win 8, it seems to be a universal windows hack. I really can't stand unhandy GUI's who can not be resized, so I love this tool. But normally speaking, a HIPS should alert you that it wants to install a global hook, so I'm not sure why Outpost stayed silent. On my system, SpyShelter did alert about it. And UAC will only pop up if you run this tool with admin rights.

4. act8192

Bit of retraction: Outpost does alert about new executable.
    But ...
    it fails to alert about the three hooks. Absolutely silent, even though is supposed to Prompt on Window hooking, injections etc.

I just put it on XP. Here, SSM alerted on each one of these: WH_CBT, WH_CALLWNDPROC, and WH_MOUSE, as expected.

ResizeEnableInjection-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2016
  5. act8192

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

This probably means there is something wrong with Outpost on Win 10, I would switch to another HIPS.

7. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

It seems that even the latest version (9.3) does allow telemetry connections to be made at Windows start-up ( like previously seen) ,in the first 3-4 seconds of Windows booting, when the firewall is in the initialization stages.pfSense picked up connections to telemetry IP right at system start-up, when the Outpost log shows the initialization steps and many connections are flagged with No Rule in the log.So No Rule = Passed traffic.Maybe the mechanical hard drives are to slow for this firewall :) So there is a window of 2-4 seconds of non protection at start up.Maybe with a SSD the situation is different.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.