Operation terminated -- read error

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by SMRosenberry, May 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMRosenberry

SMRosenberry Registered Member

I've been doing weekly full archives with TI V9.0 Build 2337 since the middle of February with absolutely no problems :) -- till now. :(

Last night's backup failed with the following error information:

Error (Code): 502 (0x101F6)
    Message: Operation with partition "C:" was terminated. |Details:|Read error (0x70003)

I ran a full chkdsk on drive C: (fix errors and scan for bad sectors) which fixed "minor" errors, and tried the backup again with the same results. If it matters, no new archive file was left on the backup drive after the operation terminated. Other particulars:

Computer: HP zx5000 Laptop w/ 80GB harddrive -- 65GB used
    Backup drive: USB Hard drive enclosure w/ 200GB Maxtor Drive w/ 60GB free (archives usually take 40 to 46GB)

So -- two questions:

1) What is an error 502, code 0x101F6, read error 0x70003?
    2) Teach me to fish: where do I find what the different errors and codes mean?

Ok, a third question while I have your attention:

Any pointers on how to get back to the glory days of painless backups?

Thanks,
    Steve

Last edited: May 8, 2006
  2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Just as important as making a backup, have you done a successful restore? You don't want to find out when it is too late that the restore does not work.

3. SMRosenberry

I had the opportunity to do a restore about month ago without any issues. I've also had no verification issue with any of the archives. I've also verified my rescue media and its ability to access the backup drive. Other than the current backup problem, I've had no other issues with TI.

So to get back to my current problem (which pretty much makes restoring a moot point), what are all those wonderful numbers telling me about my failed backups?

Steve

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello SMRosenberry,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

I'm afraid that the list of errors and error codes meanings is not available at the moment. However, we do have plans to implement such list in the future, but exact time frame for this is not decided yet.

As for the error message you receive, it usually appears when there are some errors on the hard drive that it being backed up.

First of all, please download and install the latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please uninstall build 2337 by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 3567.

Note that you should create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

If the problem still persists with the latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home then please check each partition of your hard drive by Windows utility: use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command
    "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drive. Note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

Please also download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then please try unplugging all unneeded storage devices such as external drives, card readers, etc.

If that does not help either then enable logging by running the Acronis drivers installation package (see above) once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file.

Please also provide us with the following information:

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Reproduce the problem and collect Acronis True Image log which can be saved from Tools -> Show Log -> Diskette icon;

- Let us know where you save images to;

- Does the problem appear both when the backup creation process is started automatically (i.e. scheduled task is started) and when you start it manually?

- Does the problem appear both when you create disk\partition images and file-based backups?

- Try creating an image when your computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD made with the latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home and see if the problem persists. Inform us about the result;

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Please submit a request for technical support. Provide the files and information collected in your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: May 11, 2006
  5. SMRosenberry

I ran chkdsk /f on the source drive three times without chkdsk reporting any real fixes (minor inconsistencies, unused indexes, and unused security descriptors). Running chkdsk also did not resolve the read error.

The read error did go away after defragmenting the source drive -- although defragmenting is one of those operations I prefer to do only after safely storing away a current archive...

6. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

chkdsk /r is a much more rigorous test. It read checks all the sectors. You should run it and see if it picks up anything.

You must be from the old school! Years ago I bought a tape backup unit to do a backup before I defragmented and one of the tape manufacturer's recommendation was to do a defrag first. When I was managing a computer installation we would never consider defragging anything without a backup first.

7. SMRosenberry

Actually, the first chkdsk was a "/r". That didn't find anything more than the subsequent two attempts. The defrag was a last ditch effort before trying the upgraded version of TI. I know my current version of TI can work with my current hardware full cycle (archive to restore), so I chose the defrag over the upgrade as the lesser of two evils.

Just a software engineer with enough experience to never trust my data to software... :shifty:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.