"Operation has completed with errors"

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by stingray55, Aug 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stingray55

stingray55 Registered Member

This is my first time with ATI, and I'm no geek compared to all of you... much of what I've tried to read on the forum is double Greek to me, I'm afraid!

I have a brand new Dell (yeah, I know ;-), 500GB HD, 4GB RAM, Dual Core Pentium 4. It came partitioned with a C and D drive, the D drive being small and called "Backups". I used Partition Magic to make D much larger and C smaller, as I wanted to have my data and email on D and use C just for Windows and Programs.

After removing much of their rubbish, and installing some programs of my own, I did a full backup image to an external HD (firewire). A couple of days later, an update to my Logitech Bluetooth mouse/keyboard (MX5000) went wrong and the Bluetooth went whoopsy. It doesn't matter what I do, I can't uninstall it and I can't get it back either. Something to do with the Widcomm program and BTtray.exe and a missing DLL; and the 2nd bluetooth driver no longer shows in Device Manager. Every time I now start up the computer, I always get an error message about Bluetooth tray, which is very annoying. So I thought I'd use the ATI backup to restore my C Drive. System Restore won't work anyway, for some odd reason, telling me that it couldn't restore.

I verified my backup file and it was fine. But when I try to restore it, I get an error message telling me: "Operation has completed with errors". When the computer reboots, it's the same as before and no restoration. I don't know what the errors are, as the ATI log doesn't show them.

I ran chkdsk e: /r (for the external hard disk where the ATI archive is), and then defragged. I've no idea if chkdsk found anything as I wouldn't know where to look. Defrag said it couldn't defrag the one ATI backup file I want to use.

I tried restoring again, just in case, but the same thing happens.

Prior to this, I still had the 3666 version, and when I tried the restore on that, it either hung forever on "analysing" and did nothing, or (2nd try) it told me "Error, failed to read from the sector xxxxxxxx (various numbers) of the hard disk 2", when I cancelled, it then told me "Error, failed to read from the sector 0 of the hard disk 2". I then upgraded to 3677. (That's why I then did the chkdsk as above.)

Is there any way I can restore using this ATI file, or do I have to resort to using Dell's own system restore and ending up with all their rubbish and having to re-install (and activate) all of mine again? Please, if anybody can help, lead me through it in "idiot-proof" language as much if not all of what many of you talk about is a total mystery to me... :D

I'm using the latest build, 3677.

Many thanks in advance.

2. Nosmas

Nosmas Registered Member

Hi stingray55

I have never used a firewire connection, but I had problems with my Western Digital External HDD USB2 drive and was getting error messages about failing to read various sectors and sometimes the drive wasn't being recognised. Researching the Internet I came across one suggestion that either the USB cable or the USB port might be the cause of the problem. I moved the cable to a different port and that seems to have cured all my problems - at least for the past two days. As I believe most PC's have only one firewire port you obviously can't move to another, but it might be worth checking the connection i.e. unplug the cable and re-connect or if you have a spare cable to substitute that.

Hope this may help

3. stingray55

Hi Nosmas, and many thanks for your reply.

Actually (if not amazingly) this new PC has 2 Firewire ports at the rear and one at the front. I'll try your suggestion and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks again.

4. stingray55

It didn't work... :(

It got through all the analysing (about 15 mins). The top window shows "Disk Partition Recovery From Archive - From file name...". The "Current operation progress" and "Total progress" bars remain blank, and stay blank. I left it for about half in hour in the hope it might do something, but it didn't. The C drive was whirring away but nothing at all seemed to be happening in the Operation Progress window. So I click "Cancel", but it doesn't. I click "Cancel" several times before it finally does and then it comes up with the "Operation has completed with errors". Nothing gets restored, everything is as was before the restore attempt.

This is exactly what I had the first time I tried to do a restore with v 3666, it sat there doing nothing for an hour before I gave up and cancelled.

I'm at a loss...

5. stingray55

Well, I've managed to deal with the keyboard/mouse problem so I don't need to restore back now, but still have the ATI Home problem which I'd like to sort out for the future. Otherwise, I have what is known to be a great program but which doesn't work for me?

Does anyone have a solution for me please?

TIA

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello stingray55,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

First of all, please validate your backup archive both when the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home is running from within Windows and when it is operating in Linux-based Acronis Rescue Environment, i.e. when computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created with the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home or Acronis Startup Recovery Manager (also known as "F11 feature") is used.

Let us know if your backup archive validates as corrupted in at least one of these cases. We'll provide you with the further instructions.

If your backup archive validates successfully in both cases, please place it to any storage device other than your External FireWire hard drive (e.g. any internal, external or networked hard drive, CD, DVD, etc.), boot your computer from Bootable Rescue CD created with the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home and try to restore this backup archive once more.

Let us know if the same problem appears. We'll provide you with the further instructions in this case.

If your backup can be successfully restored when placed to any storage device other than your external FireWire hard drive then the problem is most likely caused by the poor support for your external FireWire hard drive and an additional information is required in order to proceed with the investigation:

- Boot your computer from Bootable Rescue CD created with the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home and create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please keep your external FireWire hard drive connected and powered on while creating Linux system information.

Note that sometimes the sysinfo.txt file is not readable from under Windows. In this case please try entering the file name using capital letters (SYSINFO.TXT) or follow the instructions provided in this previous post of mine.

If you do not have a floppy drive then please take a look at this previous post of mine explaining how to save the sysinfo.txt file to USB flash drive.

- Let us know the exact vendor and model of your external FireWire hard drive;

- Use digital camera to make a shot or provide the exact text of the error message that appears upon the attempt to restore the backup;

- When does this error message appear exactly?

Then please submit a request for technical support. Provide the files and information collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

7. stingray55

Hi and many thanks for your reply. I'm abroad at the moment for a month or so and on a totally different computer. I therefore won't be able to follow your troubleshooting suggestions until I return home. I hope this is OK to wait a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.