Operation Error: Unable to resize partition with bad blocks.

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by RainbowP, May 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RainbowP

RainbowP Guest

I am getting this error when attemting to shrink a 67gb partition to 45gb on a 135gb disk.

This is a HP proliant server with a Smart Array 641 controller. The disks are in a hardware raid 5.

Originally there were 3 disks in the array and 2 more were added at a later date and raid was extended to drives. The partition however was not extended. The extra 2 drives were given their own partition on the raid 5 array.

Due to corporate security policy I am unable to run any 3rd party software that sends information about the assets.

Any help/workarounds would be appreciated.

2. Danielcs

Danielcs Guest

I have a similar problem...

My HDD is a Maxtor 40GB and I have only ONE partition (NTFS), also with 40GB size.
    I'm trying to create a new 4GB partition but Disk Director can't even start resizing the big partition, it stops and gives me the message that it can't resize a partition with bad blocks.

My disk does have some bad blocks.
    I've run CHKDSK and it has found 63 bad sectors (252k) and marked them.
    It's been almost a week now and the number of bad sectors has not increased.

I'm using Disk Director 9 here, build 534.

Is this a problem with Disk Director or it really can't resize partitions with bad blocks?? Does this mean I will never be able to resize my partition again?! :(

3. RainbowP

RainbowP Guest

I am using the same version of Disk Director but CHKDSK finds no errors neither does Disk Director when I do a test. I need a solution fast.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello RainbowP and Danielcs,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition Managing Software.

In order to investigate the problem we need to get Acronis Report from the computer under consideration. Please read Acronis Help Post and send the report to support@acronis.com. We guarantee that the report doesn't contain any file content and will not be given to any third-party organization.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. RainbowP

RainbowP Guest

Unfortunately your gaurantee is not enough to satisfy our securtiy admins and thier sarbanes-oxley and other regulations that make my job impossible sometimes.

I searched around and found I am not the only one experiencing this. I am sure you have helped someone or have provided a workaround before.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

6. Acronis Support

Hello RainbowP,

I do understand your situation. In this case could you please do the following:

- Create Acronis Report (it will create one small - several Kbs - text file);
    - Open it with Notepad;
    - Choose "Edit" -> "Find" and input the word "bad" (without quotation marks);
    - Find all strings "BadBlockCount" and see what number is written on this string.

Please let us know the result of your test. Please note that Acronis Report doesn't send any information to Internet, doesn't create any registry entries, etc (however, you may trace it using appropriate software).

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. RainbowP

RainbowP Guest

Security admins say as long as they can see review the file being sent and strip it of any company data that it will be ok. I will generate the report ASAP

Thanks!

8. Acronis Support

Hello RainbowP,

There is no any company data in the report, it contains only partition structure, MBR content, boot.ini content. But since the file is in plain text you may look through it and delete the fileds you don't want to send. Please inform us in your letter that some parts of the report are cut off.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

9. scottsek

scottsek Registered Member

Was there a resolution to this problem? I'm having the same problem and would like to know what can be done.

Scott

10. Acronis Support

Hello Scott,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

The reason of this message is that resizing a partition with bad blocks may cause complete loss of data. The recommended workarounds are the following:
    - Clone the whole hard disk drive to a new one resizing the partition with bad blocks;
    - Create an image archive of the partition and restore it with resizing;
    - Copy the partition to another location.

It is highly recommended to replace the faulty hard disk drive as soon as possible.

Could you please check the disks?

- Go to the Command Prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd)
    - Enter the command: "chkdsk DISK: /r"
    where DISK is the partition letter you need to check. Please note, that
    checking the C: drive may require you to reboot the machine.

If the disk checking does not help then please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post and submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected report file to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.