operating files have been replaced?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by keith565, Jun 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keith565

keith565 Registered Member

Hi Guys.
    i am not very computer literate but can usually get by. however, this problem has got me stumped. every now and again my computer opens a window and says ' some of the files required for windows to operate properly have been replaced. it then gives you the option to either keep the new files, no or help. if you click no it then asks for a service pack 1cd rom, which i don't have. if you have any ideas i would appreciate any help you can give me.
    thanks
    keith
    o_O

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Keith, that must be XP eh?
    I don't run XP myself so hard to tell; doesn't the Help give an explanation about the file if it is a newer one and about installation by what and when?
    If it can tell you it is a newer version of the same file and it is a legal application you installed yourself you could say "yes" i guess.
    If the new files are older then what you had i would not accept them.
    Don't you have any install CD-ROM for your system? Or the SP1 2 3 4 .. how many are there by now for XP?
    I expect in worst case you can always do a system-restore to a former situation before your installation of the new software?

3. MCT

MCT Registered Member

the way i see it, u have 2 options

Option #1... using your xp cd, run System File Checker (SFC)
    start > run > type: sfc /scannow
    Note: There IS a space between sfc & /scannow & using this command will replace any modified system files, u may have 2 download updates again

Option #2... u can disable windows file protection (WFP) (this should stop the messages)

To disable your WFP, add this to a reg file (put it in notepad, save it as a .reg):

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWinlogonAdd]
    "SFCDisable"=dword:FFFFFF9D

To re-enable your Windows File Protection later on, modify "SFCDisable" to read 0 by navigating to that key using regedit.

Hope this helps :D

4. keith565

xp was pre-loaded on my computer. i tried using sfc but it came up with files need to be copied to DLL folder. when i clicked ok it came up with the same message as before, 'some files that windows require to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions'. are the master cd's copied when the computer was first booted up be of any help. i downloaded spybot this morning but it only gets a third of the way through then i get the missing files message again and it stops spybot. this is most annoying. the computer seems to be running ok although probably a little slower than usual.
    thanks for your help.

5. Arin

Arin Registered Member

if you have some security breach disabling SFC will get you into more trouble. just re-install your OS, apply the service pack and those patches. keep us posted.

6. keith565

this computer is used by 3 people at home and to reinstall ths os would take weeks due to the amount of programmes and files. i will let it run as is untill it runs out of steam. i thought there might be a way of getting xp to reinstall the changed files.
    thanks anyway chaps

7. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear Keith565, i didn't say anything about formatting and installing freshly. i was suggesting to do a re-install. you won't lose your programs this way. just run the setup file from your XP CD and it'll do the trick.

8. keith565

as i said before, xp was pre-installed on the computer when i bought it. so i have no disk. the only disks i have are the master copies xp asks you to do when you first boot up xp on a new computer. is there another way of doing what you suggest. sorry but i am not that good with the technical side of computers. but thanks for being patient.

9. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear keith565, i'm not sure about those master CDs. can you get SP1 from any friend or download it from Microsoft?

10. keith565

Hi Guys
    i can't download sp1. it says i already have it, which i do. so i contacted microsoft UK and they are going to send it on disk. i will leet you know if it solved my problems. thanks
    keith

11. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi keith565,

This may not be the cause, or solution, but it's something to look into if the Microsoft Rep you were speaking to hasn't already suggested trying it. But some older programs do replace windows files, as do some of the new programs. Newer versions of programs, like Spybot Search & Destroy v. 1.3 do require you have the latest Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 run-time files.

You might want to try that?

You can find it here: vbrun60sp5 <--it would be the #1 there that you would want.

Regards,

snap

12. keith565

thanks, i tried your idea but the computer is still acting like a right pain in the preverbial. just have to see if the disk works or it will need to be a full format. i hate computers (when they are not working) lol. cheers

13. keith565

hi guys.
    well as i might have thought. i got the sp1 disk from microsoft and when prompted by my computer, i put the disk in and the computer said 'wrong disk inserted please insert service pack 1 cd', so i ended up formatting the HD.
    thanks for all your help. even though it still meant a format i do appreciate your time and effort. and i learned a few things in the process.
    cheers
    keith

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.