Opera

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Phazor, Oct 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phazor

Phazor Registered Member

I really dont mind IE but keeping on top of all these security issues and bugs is getting to be a pain in the you know what, let alone wondering when microbob is going to put out a fix for the darn thing and after this weeks bugbear attacks (thank goodness for Nod32) Im seriously thinking of giving Opera a run, and eventually changing my email client. So i have a few questions

1. Wondering if i should be concerned about the cydoor thing with opera. -Comments!

2. Correct me if im wrong but i would be less vunerable to virus attacks and security issues with opera

3. All in All do you feel the same or more secure on the internet using Opera over IE?

4. How many of you use the pay version verses the free version.

5. If you were going to use a credit card over the net, which would you use Opera or IE.

6. Is it just because operas user base is smaller than IE the reason you dont hear about as many bugs and security issues with it as with IE. Or is it truely a safer browser.

7. is it possible to drop IE totally or would i still need to use it? Explain!

8. Is opera faster or slower than ie?

Sorry to ramble on

2. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi Phazor - wow, great questions. :D

i'll try and answer a few of them..LOL!

1. Wondering if i should be concerned about the cydoor thing with opera. -Comments!

- i use the paid version so i cannot comment on the "ads" in the free version, but on this page here on the Opera site, titled "Is Opera spyware?", you'll see their explaination regarding the ads: http://www.opera.com/support/supsearch/supsearch.cgi?index=453

2. Correct me if im wrong but i would be less vunerable to virus attacks and security issues with opera

- IMHO, i believe it is less "attacked" than IE, also, many of the vulnerabilities in IE do not exist in Opera as Opera does not support ActiveX or VBScript from what i have read on their site.

3. All in All do you feel the same or more secure on the internet using Opera over IE?

- i feel more secure surfing with Opera since it has more security options...i think it puts more control in the user's hands.

4. How many of you use the pay version verses the free version.

:D

5. If you were going to use a credit card over the net, which would you use Opera or IE.

- Opera doesn't have the "lock" icon like IE does to show you are in a secure site, but i would probably use Opera the next time i make an on-line purchase, which is rare anyways. LOL

6. Is it just because operas user base is smaller than IE the reason you dont hear about as many bugs and security issues with it as with IE. Or is it truely a safer browser.

- i believe the user base has grown considerably since the release of Opera 6. Their Forum is quite active and growing daily.

Great source of information from many experienced Opera users: http://my.opera.com/forums/

7. is it possible to drop IE totally or would i still need to use it? Explain!

- i don't think so, at least not without causing some problems since it is part of the OS, but other's might have a solution if that is what you wanted to do. i use both myself...Opera 6.05 & IE6sp1

8. Is opera faster or slower than ie?

- oh! much faster! i am on cable and i still notice the speed of it is quicker than IE....just seems "lighter" too, and the d/l's go much quicker.

Sorry to ramble on

- no, don't be sorry, these were great questions Phazor.

take a look at this thread here https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=2992

there is many questions and answers in the thread there by members who are using Opera, and you will find additional information there that may help you with your decision. :)

snap

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Hi Phazor.I'm not an expert on browsers,but I have both IE6 and Opera.I know the answers to some of your questions.I had a lot of questions before I finally tried Opera.Crockett knows a lot about browsers and other members also know a lot more than I do about it.Question 3)I personally feel more secure using Opera.4)I use free version.No complaints here.7) I have heard that you can not uninstall IE6.I did hear that sp1 has a patch in it that allows uninstall of IE6 :cool:Speed..I clean my internet history daily.IE6 works faster than it used to_Opera is still faster!I'm on dial-up connection and I still notice a difference.From my experience,it was worth trying Opera.I haven't regretted having Opera yet.No compatability issues.And I have 3 browsers on my pc.

4. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

Some good responses, I used to use it religiously,still use it sometimes.
    It is more secure than IE and with its mail client its more secure than OE (tho lacking features v7 should address)
    But I have to say I have progressed to Mozilla (but thats not the point of this thread)

Opera isa damn good browser,its lite, quick and pretty stable with some good features, I highly recommend it above IE.

5. root

root Registered Member

Hey Snap. re: no. 5, Opera has a lock symbol to show if a site is secure or not. On my button set it is to the left of the address window. Different configurations or button sets may have it a different place.
    Bottom line is Opera if faster, more secure, more versatile, easier to configure, and more fun than IE could ever hope to be. Use it in conjunction with a safe email client and you don't have to worry about 90% of the patches M$ comes out with.
    If you ever need ActiveX you will need either Neptune, or IE for that. I have no need for it.

6. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

~adjusts her glasses.....points~ There it is! guess that tells ya how often i need the secure locked sites eh? LOL! Thanks root! where'd i be without you! :D

thought i'd add a li'l something i read on Opera's FAQ about the upgrade to version 7....looks like it's not going to be a free up-grade, except for those who purchase Opera now during their campaign. A li'l disappointing but understandable. So there's a great incentive Phazor, if you purchase Opera 6.5 now, you'll be entitled to the upgrade when version 7 is released! ;)

snap

7. crockett

crockett Registered Member

Hi guys:)

Phazor; cautiousness is a good thing, but it may be time to 'get your hands dirty' and go and see for yourself the Opera browser's features and capabilities.

I think you'll be surprised to see you'll receive the answers to the vast majority of your questions after a couple of hours' use.

I also believe you won't believe your eyes and will stay with it as did many who got to give it a fair try.

Should you finally decide otherwise, Opera is easy to uninstall/get rid of.

Sure, Opera 6.05 is ad-supported. There are a few different attitudes you can adopt as far as those ads are concerned. But Opera sure ain't no spyware.

In fact, you may find Opera is arguably one of the best pieces of currently available software...

Rgds, Crockett

8. Phazor

Phazor Registered Member

Sorry i havent gotten back to this post, but ive been busy with alot of things and i never got back to the opera thing.

So anyway im going to be taking the plunge here shortly, and still had a few questions.

1. Do i want to download the java version or not? Seems i read a post somewhere about JRE and the version to get was different or something then what you get with opera?

2. Read a post that someone was actually blocking the ads with their firewall? Can I, and How..

3. Using Adshield with IE right now and i love it, can i use it with opera to block all those banners and stuffs....?

4. Cookies. read somewhere also that you cannot view, or maybe delete your cookies with opera, as its stored somewhere that you cant find it, unlike IE.?

Sorry about all the "read somewhere" things but ive been busy and have been off and on the net the last couple of weeks and reallly cant remember where i saw this stuff but i do remember it as i wanted to find out about it.

Thanks

9. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I'm not an Opera user myself, but a lot of people have been posting about it being a very good browser and explaining some of the ways it functions. I think you are correct about Opera storing its cookies differently than IE. According to the post linked below, Opera stores its cookies in its own file with its own format, so external cookie managment tools would not be able to directly manipulate the cookies in the way they would in the IE Cookies folder. But, it sounds like Opera has many cookie manipulation capabilities itself, including an optional tool to view and edit cookies.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,3878141~root=security,1~mode=flat

10. root

root Registered Member

So anyway im going to be taking the plunge here shortly, and still had a few questions.

1. Do i want to download the java version or not? Seems i read a post somewhere about JRE and the version to get was different or something then what you get with opera?

==> I would download with java until you get a little used to doing things with Opera.

2. Read a post that someone was actually blocking the ads with their firewall? Can I, and How..

==> That would be with Outpost Firewall most likely. I think some of the others are starting to add filtering, but I'm not sure which ones.

3. Using Adshield with IE right now and i love it, can i use it with opera to block all those banners and stuffs....?

==> Not sure about Adshield. There are lots of ways to approach filtering contents.

4. Cookies. read somewhere also that you cannot view, or maybe delete your cookies with opera, as its stored somewhere that you cant find it, unlike IE.?

==> There is a small program that is free and can be used to manage cookies and the cookies can be read just as plain as day. It also will clear the cache and visited links.
    Opera has a setup to allow you to accept only cookies from certain locations, and once you get it setup it is wonderfully easy to control cookies. There are several options available, and I have not had to clear a cookie in weeks.

As you mentioned, there is no getting around the fact that Opera is soo much safer to use than IE. With the advent of version 6, there are very few pages that do not render correctly.

Try it - you'll like it. :)

11. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

I use them all....right now I'm kinda stuck on the PHOENIX browser that's come out of the Mozilla group. It's a standalone browser - no mail client - no bloat. They are also developing a standalone email client called Thunderbird.

While you're trying out Opera, give Phoenix a try!

Here's a little about the latest (0.3) release.
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/phoenix/phoenix-release-notes.html

This explains the Phoenix project:
    http://tinyclick.com/?PHOENIX

However, they also have nightly builds you can download at:
    http://tinyclick.com/?PHOENIXDOWNLOAD

Don't mean to hijack the Opera thread, I just think as long as someone is "shopping around" they should know of the Mozilla and Phoenix open source projects at mozilla.org as well. But Opera? It's great too!

John
    Luv2bSecure

12. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello all,

The program mentioned by root is Opera 4 File Explorer. You can read more about it here: http://www.westelcom.com/users/jsegur/Default.htm or direct download link: http://arago5.tn.utwente.nl/opera/tools/o4f101us.zip . I use it with Opera 6.05 and love it. Also as root said, it is free.

I also use Cookie Pal with Opera. It also works with IE, Netscape, and is configurable to work with just about any app that uses cookies. You can read more about it here: http://www.kburra.com/cpal.html or download a free thirty day trial here: http://www.kburra.com/downloads/cp1setup.exe .

Regards,
    Kent

13. Tinribs

You may be aware that Opera 7 is expected soon, the opera homepage has also just revamped with new layout and colours which alot of people think is heralding the new version pretty soon. I post this just in case those interested in buying Opera may want to keep the adware version and hold off for a little while before purchasing. (even though I think a free upgrade for registered users is offered) :)

14. root

root Registered Member

Hi John. I have Mozilla 1.2a and can't get java to work.
    If I download Phoenix:
    1. Does it come with any plugins like java, flash,acrobat?
    2. Can I save my Mozilla bookmarks and copy them into Phoenix?
    3. Is it better to download the last nightly build?
    4. It says version .04 is coming out Monday and I'm a 56ker, should I wait for that?
    5. Is it tabbed and if so, will the addons like the google toolbar install, and the tab browser extensions work?
    6. Any major shortcomings you are aware of?
    Thanks.

15. Tinribs

If you like Moz root then I would stick with it, not sure what your Java problems are as I have not had any problems with it, not one single crash with Moz.
    Phoenix is good but I like an integrated mail client and until Minotaur is released I'll stick with Moz

16. root

root Registered Member

Don't need the email client as I use Poco and will stay with that.
    I can't get java to work with Mozilla and I have tried everything.
    So, I may try Phoenix.

17. luv2bsecure

Hi root!

The page at http://www.mozilla.org/projects/phoenix/phoenix-release-notes.html will answer most of your questions. They stress Phoenix IS Mozilla - same trunk.

They are still ironing out the "preferences tab" last I knew - I need to get the latest and see the progress myself.

No harm in downloading and seeing what you think!http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/phoenix/releases/0.3/phoenix-0.3-win32.zip

Yes, it has the tabs, not sure on the bookmarks (I use a third-party bookmark manager), very stable.

If you try it out - let me know!

John
    Luv2bSecure

18. root

root Registered Member

Thanks John. I'm downloading it now and will let you know, probably in a new thread.
    Sorry about hijacking this thread. :rolleyes:

19. luv2bsecure

Aha! He admitted the hijacking! You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be held against you in a court of law.

Root, I am the one that first broght up Phoenix. So, I am the guilty party in the hijacking. Sorrry. :oops:

My virtual wrists are out for the virtual cuffs.

See 'ya!

John
    Luv2bSecure

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.