Opera Web Browser

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by crockett, Aug 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crockett

crockett Registered Member

Hi everybody;

I was wondering if some of you ever tried to trade Opera for Internet Explorer ?!

If not, why, and if yes, I 'd like to know your general opinion about it.

I personally tried Opera and never could possibly imagine to get back to Internet Explorer.

Surprisingly, very few posts are to be found on security forums regarding this free software.

Waiting to see if anyone is interested by this post before going on with the subject...

Regards, Crockett :cool:

2. root

root Registered Member

I switched to Opera for good at version 6 and haven't looked back. Tried using it for years but kept having to use IE off and on. Now I have 6.04 and don't touch IE.
    I really don't understand why more of the security conscious people don't use Opera. The personal bar and tabs alone make IE look like a model T.

3. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi Crockett!

i started using Opera 6.03 about 3 months ago...(registered--didn't want the ads) and i liked it right away....still finding it hard to break the bad habit of opening IE though, but i like the way the pages look when i have Opera open :)

root, i haven't updated to version 6.04 yet...is there any noticeable changes or bugs in the recent version?

oh, i still can't find any cookies to delete with O4FE....~LOL~..but that might be because i use the option "Delete Private Data" when i close the browser. (not sure)

4. crockett

Hello Root and Snapdragin :)

Thanks for replying. Can't figure out either why so few people seem to be willing to try that program. Definitely a wonderful browser, and much faster and secure than IE. Precise configuration, and I really like the 'Preferences/Quick Peferences' double interface capability.

I once asked JacK what his opinion was about the security aspects of Opera. In Optimix's forum (www.optimix.be.tf), he answered that "Opera was definitely more secure than IE, especially if used without SUN's Java Runtime Environment" 1.3, even though "JRE already was more secure than IE's Java Virtual Machine".

The improved JRE 1.4 is already on the web, but still not embedded as the JRE-default version with Opera. You have to download it separately and then install it in Opera.

But in riding Opera, I was extremely surprised to find out that surfing the web without Java was pretty much easy. So I never use Java anymore, except when absolutely needed (very few cases). Java is required for surfing your bank account's site and such other sites.

You can find infos about 6.04 improvements by following these two links.

http://www.opera.com/pressreleases/en/2002/07/20020701.html

http://www.opera.com/windows/changelog/log604.html

By the way, I never bought the adfree version of Opera, since it is so easy to firewall-block the always-the-same url's where the ads are downloaded from :D

Even before that, I didn't think the ads were annoying, nor that they would appear very often.

Crockett :cool:

5. root

root Registered Member

The thing about buying Opera, is not only getting rid of the ads, but you get an extra i/2 inch of realestate back for the desktop and the ad line is shrunk to half its original size.
    I think going to 6.04 build 1133 actually cleaned up a few more pages, so that I find very few pages that do not display correctly now. I also install Java 1.4, but didn't notice any difference there.

6. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

One could make a serious case for rewarding/thanking a software maker for making a superior product by purchasing it, you know.

Attached Files:

7. crockett

Hi Spy1;

Thanks for replying.

I absolutely agree with you on the point that registering definitely IS a good way of showing appreciation for a software.

I thought long and hard about registering Opera, and haven't quite made up my mind yet. BUT it's always a heavy and important decision to put your name and credit card number into the hands of other people over the Internet - not sure I will ever get used or like to do that, or find it an easy thing to do.

Personal infos, once released, are never coming back and you never know where they will end up.

I also must say that I checked the software-and-user agreement to make sure I was not going against it by firewall-blocking the ads.

To be complete on the subject, I always take great care to stay in touch with Opera's development team any time I can and mail-report any bug or problem I may encounter while testing it on different OS and configurations. I also put emphasis on reporting how Opera behaves in some testing environment I may come across while surfing the Web.

One final point if I may. I also do believe it is strange and unfortunate that most software-proposing sites don't talk about Opera any more than they actually do. IMHO, Opera should at least be mentioned as a very plausible alternative to other browsers, especially to the so-much-too-much-talked-about IE. So I consistently try to contact various webmasters to talk to them about Opera and its various features and qualities, trying to convince them this software definitely has a place on their lists.

Maybe all this doesn't sound like much, but I hope and believe it can make a (small ?!) difference. Anyway, that's my way of trying to give something back to Opera's team.

And I also still do agree that registering would be another very good way too.

Root, I had some problems trying to switch Java 1.3 and replace it with 1.4. Did you have an easy time performing the operation ? Also, I didn't find it easy even to download 1.4 from SUN's sites... Which precise address did you get it from ?

I tried an on-line test a few months ago on [Opera + Java 1.3 + Javascript activated]. I got some surprising results to say the least - the test still can be found at http://www.leader.ru/secure/who.html

I contacted the development team about this, and they told me the problem was related to 1.3. If interested, I can be more specific about that later...

Regards, Crockett :cool:

8. root

root Registered Member

If I remember correctly, I downloaded it from here. I do seem to remember having to download it twice.
    I also believe I uninstalled 1.3 first and cleared out the plugins directory of references to java 1.3.

9. crockett

Hello again;

Root, it seems you're a rather experienced Opera user.

Could you let us know which currently available plug-ins you think should be downloaded by Opera users to create as rich a surfing experience as possible ? Maybe video players, or music palyers ?

I don't mean superficial add-ons, but the real enriching ones. Or do you think no add-on is necessary or possible ?

If you use any, which one is your favorite and why ?

I think some Netscape softs are used for that purpose, but am not sure about this... If so, are there any specific problems you may know of ?

I've put a big load on you this time, haven't I ? Hope you don't mind ;)

Rgds, Crockett

10. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:) Hi Guys! I am, as of today, an Opera user! I'd be very much interested in any plug-ins. I d/led v6.03 and it came with Java. This browser is a LOT faster than IE and easier to use too!

They deliberately make those ads to be annoying, don't they? Well, I found a way to block them! Something very simple. The banner/box in which the ads appear never moves. A piece of opaque electrical tape works great! Flashing pictures give me trouble when I'm reading. Problem solved. (Electrical tape won't harm the glass on the monitor and can be easily removed/used again. And, please do not grouse at me for it!)

11. crockett

Hi Prince;

I'd like you to be particularly aware of something, i.e. that JRE 1.3 is the version which comes along with Opera 6.03 when you download it selecting the 'JAVA-included' option.

As written before, JRE 1.3, although reputed as less flawed than its M$ counterpart, has some flaws of its own, according to the Opera team itself.

SUN develops Java Runtime Environment, not Opera. Opera is developed by its own team. The corporations are different, and Opera allows for use of JRE as Java machine.

Anyway, if you use Java 1.3 with Opera, make sure you disallow Java when you use Javascript, or disallow Javascript when you use Java. When JRE 1.3 is used in conjunction with Javascript, it seems one can use Javascript to access and exploit some flaws embedded in JRE 1.3.

If you want to use Java and Javascript at the same time, make sure to first of all download the new Java Runtime Environment, i.e. version 1.4, from the SUN address given in Root's previous post.

This is all important - make sure you follow through on this. JRE 1.3 contains flaws which had to be corrected - and this lead to JRE 1.4.

Rgds, Crockett

12. root

root Registered Member

A great place for skins and add ons is right here.
    More buttons here
    I especially like the minimalist2.11 button set. Comes with a great skin.
    I have the Sunjava 1.4, and I use Quicktime. Of course you need the adobe acrobat. I use media player instead of Real because Real has become a purveyor of junk, spam, spies etc. Real player will invade your entire system just as IE does.
    Can't think of much else right now. If I do I'll post it.

13. Prince_Serendip

Hi Root and Crockett! Thanks for the links. One problem though. It seems that you have to have v6.04 if you want to d/l Java Runtime v1.4. Also, I'd like to be able to use my own downloader instead of the one supplied with Opera. It's Star Download. How do I set that up?

Found another wrinkle. I went to Patrick Kolla's site and the English Translation button will not work with Opera. Had to use IE. Another thing, Opera comes with prepackaged links and though my old IE links had an Opera icon beside them, they were unavailable. I have hundreds of my own links. So, for now, Opera is an alternate browser until it meets all of my expectations for the way I like to surf!

14. Prince_Serendip

Hi Guys! I solved the links/favorites/bookmarks problem. I still cannot d/l the Java v1.4. I tried again with IE. It gives you an "Error: Cannot connect to host" message. So, what's the safest way to use Java v1.3? Not use it at all? Any other alternatives?

15. root

root Registered Member

I just downloaded Opera 6.05 and it still has Java 1.3 in it so I went ahead and downloaded the whole java version, uninstalled Java 1.4 and Opera 6.04. Did a fresh install of Opera 6.05 w/Java 1.3.
    Works great! :D

16. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

root - i had just installed overtop 6.03 when i d/l'ed 6.04; kept the Java 1.3 that came with it....but i didn't know there was a 6.05 out? wow...i was just there last night LOL!

i keep java turned off unless i'm needing it for something i'm working on, but i don't surf with it turned on as a rule.

i was kind of amazed at all the plugins that were listed when i went to http://leader.ru/secure/who.html and tested what information Opera gave out------seems it doesn't give out any of the plugins that are loaded if Java is disabled....but when it's enabled.....ooooh wow! what a list! and the only thing i am sure of that i d/l'ed myself was QuickTime.

i think i'll go d/l 6.05 but just try a over-install on the 6.04....hopefully it will go as smooth as last night. :)

*corrected the versions...LOL...i am getting my versions mixed up....this is not a good sign, hope i don't reinstall 6.03 again. ;)

17. crockett

Hi guys,

Prince, not sure I understood what the problem was with the favorites and bookmarks you mentioned.

If it had to do with transferring your IE favorites into Opera's bookmarks, it's extremely easy.

File/Import/Internet Explorer Favorites. That's it ! :D

Root suggesting to try downloading JRE 1.4 using some download manager. I'll try later today. I don't know why it might be so difficult. Links-problems with SUN's download-site !?...

Crockett

18. root

root Registered Member

Go here to download Java 1.4 JRE. Select the top link that says Windows (U.S. English only). I'm downloading it again as I type this. No DL manager, just Opera.

19. parkersxs

parkersxs Registered Member

I have noticed in a couple of forums that issues with possible flaws in Sun 1.3 and 1.4JRE. I am not qualified to comment on it further but I did notice it revealed information even behind a proxy. But again I just narrowed the variables and made a conclusion. It could be wrong. As a precaution I installed IBM's version of Java. Seems to work fine. Even though, as someone else eluded to, it's probably a good idea to turn off java and js. Bravo Opera!

20. crockett

Hi Parkersxs;

Very interesting.

Could you give us some precision on IBM's Java version ? Did you already use it with other browsers ?

Any flaws you may have read about ?

I almost never use Java, but it's quite displeasing to see it is so difficult to download for one who wants to.

Root, the link you propose to SUN is the one I already tried. Just tried again. Unbelievable - still wouldn't work despite it working fine for you. I just can't get the download initiated. Size mismatch (0%).

Mind-boggling...

Crockett :doubt:

21. parkersxs

parkersxs Registered Member

Hi Crockett
    If you are interested,here's the link:

http://www7b.boulder.ibm.com/wsdd/wspvtindex.html

Click on download and it will take you to a screen where you have to log in with some information; not a big deal. When through, it will take you to the developers page. Go to the flavor of jre you want and download. Remember to grab the installer (and merge utility if you do split files). All are Sun Standard compliant. Has worked fine for me with both Opera and Mozilla. Hope this helps. I believe it's IBM Java 1.3.1 or 1.3.0.

22. crockett

Hi;

Thanks for your link.

Rgds, Crockett

23. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

At the risk of showing my lack of experience/knowledge here,I have a few questions regarding Opera.I am considering replacing IE6 with Opera.What will I lose if anything as far as messenger and mail services?Will I be able to use msn services like hotmail and windows messenger?I have Roboform auto filler and it is under the explorer bar at top of screen,will I still be able to use that form filler?How hard is the install process?Does Opera work well with all known security programs?Does it work with trillian?Do internet sweeper type programs work with Opera also?I have a H/P pavillion with xp home as os.What do you all think?I am security-conscious and no doubt Opera is more secure.Is it worth the change in regards to,could I screw the installation up?LOL Thanks for any patience to this long-winded,million question post.

24. crockett

Hi Tester;

I try to answer some of your questions in a post I wrote today, but you'll have to go to 'Opera 6.05 released' to read it...

See you there.

Crockett :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.