Opera tunes up to overtake Firefox

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Sep 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Story

2. toploader

toploader Registered Member

personally speaking the banner never bothered me - though one wonders what took them so long to remove it - opera is a good browser but i'm now a firefox devotee thanks to the plethora of extensions available.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have been using Opera since the free offer. I like it, but I opened an Opera email account. I did not realize that was what I was doing, and thought the site required me to open an account to send an email to a member. I did not want Opera checking my mail as I use Mailwasher and OE.

I could not find out how to cancel the Opera account so I uninstalled it, and then installed it again. To my dismay nothing had changed. In the end I uninstalled it and have not installed it again. Until I can learn how to disable the Opera email I do not want to fool with it and have the window come up regarding email.

Otherwise I liked it, and especially liked the ability to close it and later open it with the last sites still there logged in.

I'm back to Firefox.

Jerry

4. toploader

toploader Registered Member

yes starting where you left off is one of the good features of opera, jerry - let's hope they incorporate that into firefox. :D

5. TimaN

TimaN Registered Member

If Opera takes over of your email account, you can open Opera and go to: Tools > Mail and Chat accounts and delete all not needed accounts that Opera created. That should resolve the problem.

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Tima,

Great, that solved it. I have reinstalled Opera. There must be "things" left even after uninstall, as it came up with all the former information, and the email account. I deleted it, and that will take care of the problem.

However, it appears that Opera is very difficult to remove completely. I used the control panel, and then searched to find anything left behind. I deleted those entries, but when I reinstalled Opera it remembered the sites that I had last used, my email, and bookmarks.
    Does that make sense?

Thanks,
    Jerry

7. Notok

Notok Registered Member

You can use the Session Saver extension which does that and more.. saves even if you crash, lets you choose each time if you want to open the last session or start new (this feature is disabled by default), and even saves the history so you can click 'back' or 'forward', just as if you had never closed the browser. It can even save multiple open windows and open them in new windows again or as another tab in the same window. :)

Opera is very nice in some ways, I have it installed and use it occassionally, but Firefox is still my favorite.

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Notok,

Many Thanks. I installed it, and it is what I hoped for.
    Jerry

9. Arup

Arup Guest

I have been a long time Opera user since version 2x, only now with version 8.5 I switched to M2 mail as well and am pleasantly surprised. It really works good, the reason I was not using Opera mail before was my familiarity with the Outlook interface which Thunderbird also provided, recently with the upgrades, TB caused lots of problems, loosing mails, taking forever to open mailbox etc. and I had to take the plunge and am happy that I did so even though Opera doesn't do outbound HTML mail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.