Opera Portable?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Does anyone use Opera Portable? I have been giving it a bit of a test on an old flashdrive. The spellchecker extension seems much better & it is fast as a portable browser. I'm quite pleasantly surprised. :)

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Have you compared that with the "portable" from portableapps.com. I understand that there's some difference (detailed by John Haller somewhere). I can't get the link because PA is having some maintenance work in progress.

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

5. Daveski17

It's never the same ... ;) (Oh & I forgot, the adblocker seems to work properly as well. I may have meant that instead of spellchecker in the OP! I'm a bit tired & I was fiddling around with the default language which seemed to keep changing back to US English. It doesn't now).

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  6. Daveski17

I knew of the original, but I was informed that the Portable Apps had some advantages. I'm not sure what they are exactly though.

7. Daveski17

Hmmmmm .... slight niggle ... I set the preferred language for Opera & Web pages to British English, & just as with any other customisations that I make to it, it works well & stays that way. However, when I reopen the browser after closing US English is the default again!! o_O :mad:

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Daveski17, this is what John T. Haller wrote in this Post last year. Just FYI.

9. Yakuman

Yakuman Registered Member

10. Daveski17

Thanks for the link JRViejo, I appreciate it. :) :thumb:

11. Daveski17

I'll see how the Portable Apps version fares. It seems that the official Opera portable has some complications. I have an old LG flashdrive that was never used much & I thought that although it isn't very powerful it might be useful as a portable browser if nothing else. SeaMonkey portable worked fine for a while but the #2.0 series is starting to show its age. I had some problems with Firefox 4 & the WMP plug-in & Chrome wouldn't let me download any extensions for some strange reason. Both versions of Iron have given me some slight problems so I thought I'd give Opera a trial run.

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Daveski17, you're welcome! Take care.

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I use the offical portable version.
    I used to use the other portable version but dont see the point now an offical one is out.

14. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I see it labeled as unofficial not official.

"Opera@USB is an unofficial mod of Opera, which adapts the venerable browser for installation on removable drives (USB drives). However, with Opera 11, you don’t need to use a 3rd party tool to use Opera in portable mode."

15. Daveski17

Has anyone tried External Scripts? It looks like an alternative to NotScripts.

16. Yakuman

Yakuman Registered Member

I was referring to the screenshots...not the first first paragraph. After all, that was the point of the entire article :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.