Opera noAds Extension

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by vasa1, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

How's this?

Opera noAds Extension

2. Doritoes

Doritoes Registered Member

Currently, the Opera 11 Alpha Extensions API is too buggy to be reliable (to be expected for Alphas). For general users I recommend waiting at least until Opera 11 gets designated as Beta or Stable because some of the important API functions are not working right now (ie: finding the current focused tab, scriptStorage in Private Tabs, and BeforeScript does not fire reliably for inline scripts). Also, the auto-update process is not finalized and it is not clear how that works so you may not get updates when an extension author publishes new versions.

The Opera devs also have to allow extensions on HTTPS pages by default or else make it easier for the end user to use it on those pages. Right now, you have to go into Opera config and change some settings manually along with setting a non-zero value for the scriptStorage.

You may experience some problems using the noAds extension right because of the above reasons. Also, there isn't any API to block images so noAds is hiding the ads using CSS.

I found this stuff out in the process of porting my NotScripts extension over from Google Chrome to Opera. It's on the Opera Extensions Gallery if you search for it. It just got approved this weekend.

3. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

It was about time for Opera to add an Ad-Blocker...:D
    (except for manually adding Fanboy's list).

4. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Nice! :thumb:

I might actually use opera now.

5. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

If, post Firesheep, https becomes more common, ad blocking could be an unintended victim! I know that Privoxy doesn't block on https pages.

6. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Unless I'm mistaken, NoAds is just a user script repackaged into an extension, and hence suffers from all the same limitations.

It's an extremely poor implementation right now compared to even Chrome's adblocking extensions, let alone Firefox's. urlfilter.ini is still the better choice by far, at least for now.

7. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

NoAds
    I hope it works for Opera users...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.