Opera --> New Stable Version Released!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by BoerenkoolMetWorst, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I checked out the latest version because Facebook (shame on Zuckerberg) is unbearable slow on Opera v12, and once again I must say: what a joke! I couldn´t even make it work. I also had problems with the latest version of Mozilla FF v29. I know that XP SP2 is quite an old system, but there´s no excuse for this. :thumbd:

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  2. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

Try blocking some scripts on FB, for example to speed up YouTube I have been blocking these scripts with my urlfilter.ini:
    Code:
    http://s.ytimg.com/yts/jsbin/www-*/watch.js
    http://s.ytimg.com/yts/jsbin/www-pageframe-*.js
    http://s.ytimg.com/yts/jsbin/www-*/watch_transcript.js
    http://s.ytimg.com/yts/jsbin/www-*/channels.js
    http://s.ytimg.com/yts/jsbin/html5player-*.js
    I don't know which one slow down YouTube to a crawl on my PC, but believe me YT is much faster now, almost like a few years ago.

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  3. anon

anon Registered Member

4. pegas

pegas Registered Member

5. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Be advised. The latest version of Opera places 2 tasks in your system task scheduler. These tasks scan for updates on system boot, and at specific times during the day. The boot one actually slows system boot. I disabled both tasks, as you can simply go into Opera:About to check for updates.

upload_2014-6-4_16-20-41.png

6. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Yes but by this way you completely killed the sense of newly presented silent updates in Opera 22. I wonder why ... Just curious as I didn't notice any boot slowdown.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  7. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

I am addicted to 11 second speed boots. Which is why I disable Esets boot stuff as well.

8. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Everything over 11 seconds is slow?! :eek: Don't say you're addicted, you're in fact obsessed to keep it below 11 seconds! :argh:

9. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Pretty much. I obsess about PC speed, no question about that! If I install an AV product that drops my application load time by even 0.5 seconds, I uninstall it. Web page loads are generally under 0.20 on my machines, and if they rise to anything higher I need to figure out why. So Opera adding 7 seconds to boot time feels like an eternity, and isn't really needed. 7 seconds isn't much if your computer cold boots in 2-5 minutes, but at 11 seconds that's 60% or so reduction in boost speed. It's all relative.

10. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Isn't it too exhausting to be a slave of the PC speed? :isay:

11. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Latest opera update is bad IMO. Causes CPU spikes, slows browsing, stalls out.

Going to have to roll back to the previous one, and disable autoupdates apparently. Anyone have a download for the previous stable one?

12. pegas

pegas Registered Member

No problem with v22. In fact with every new build the more I like Opera... Smooth, fast, fashionable GUI...

13. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Of course you won't see issues. I run streamlined systems, highly optimized, and audited. You are running on an old legacy dual core, that probably takes minutes to do anything. No offense.

Every single change in performance, even a fraction of a second is noted, and recorded. Fact is, this version does several things to reduce performance. One of them is it installs 'tasks' in task scheduler, one of which tries to upgrade it on every boot, slowing boot slightly. The second of which is this version appears to cause spikes for some reason. I just tested it on a clean, performance benchmarking machine, and it's doing it there as well.

14. pegas

pegas Registered Member

np, it's old but still good for everyday working usage but it's true that I like more my Sony tablet and iPhone

15. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

16. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Bookmarks..... :D:D:D

17. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

With the 64-Bit Blink being compiled, the first good fork that runs with 64 builds I will switch to. Yandex, Opera, whatever.

Opera I like the Speed Dial but dislike almost everything else. Chrome I hate the sync, spying, and other rubbish on it. Yandex is close to being good, but I wish they had more normal plugin compatibility, and a better speed dial.

18. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Yeah, I know, many users eagerly awaiting it but I for one got used to speed dial and stash and I love them. :)

19. blacknight

Sure, but more of 750 bookmarks are not easy to manage with speed dial. :(

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  20. pegas

pegas Registered Member

750 bookmarks? For such amount it's equal if you use speed dial/stash or bookmark manager. Typing into the address bar a few first letters and choosing from the whispered bookmarks should be faster than whatever else, imo. Yeah don't blame me, I have roughly hundred bookmarks. :)

21. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

Are they all still live? :rolleyes:

22. blacknight

Not for me. I have managed them in folders and sub-folders and, in Opera 12, I find at once what I need with the mouse. :)

23. blacknight

Yes. All or almost all. Naturally, many of them are not the same that I had 10 years ago.

24. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

25. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

Good for you.

There was an application years ago that scanned IE Favorites for dead links and marked the obsolete ones for deletion.
    That was a great tool.

All browsers should have this functionality.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.