Opera --> New Stable Version Released!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by BoerenkoolMetWorst, Aug 27, 2013.

1. woomera

woomera Registered Member

because the development of the opera is too slow, its like their devs are slow in the head or simply dont care about their product since theres always people who try unknown product just so they wanna feel different from others, even if its a useless product.

2. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I too. It seems that developers give more attention to Opera.

3. pegas

pegas Registered Member

If they (web developers) pay attention to something, then surely to Blink, Gecko, Trident and maybe WebKit but nowadays definitely not to Presto. If you feel performance improvement with Opera 12 on certain pages it is just a mixture of coincidence and the positive impact of web pages customization to the said web engines.

4. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Ok but - someone will not agree - I tried - on Seven SP1 - many versions of new Opera since 23, and I find all them a bit less fast than 12; I'm NOT an Opera 12 fan boy - I'm not a fan boy definitely - I only would want that new versions work for me as 12 do.

5. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes I agree, it's just pointless, after 2 years still a crappy bookmark system, no "per site" control (which is a native feature of Chrome), and no "tabs on bottom" option. It also feels quite heavy, and does not run correctly inside Sandboxie.

6. Rasheed187

I agree, web-developers are of course not focused on Presto, but they probably just optimized code for other browsers, and by fixing stuff, Opera 12 also profited from that. But when sites do not run correctly and smoothly, I never blame Opera Presto, I blame web-developers who are complete idiots. For example, Facebook.com is heavy on every browser, even on Chrome, it's just a badly designed site.

7. pegas

pegas Registered Member

I particularly blame Mr. Zuckerberg for establishing Facebook. I hate it.

8. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Another stability update today
    27.0.1689.76 – 2015-02-24 – blog post
    • DNA-33021 [Autorun network installer] Installer should take language parameter from opera.com
    • DNA-33161 [Autorun network installer] Clickonce .NET framework requirement is too high
    • DNA-34176 Exception when closing second full screen window ☣

9. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Opera 28 stable has been released. Bookmark syncing is here!

Blog post including download links and changelog is here.

10. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Opera 28 is working fine here...

11. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Opera 28 release notes:
    http://www.opera.com/docs/changelogs/unified/2800/

Strange that the release notes are never linked in the blog post. Only the detailed changelog, but that contains changes from every v28 build(incl beta and developer) compared to the previous build. This is way better if you just want to see what's changed in 28 stable compared to 27 stable.

12. pegas

pegas Registered Member

This new version goes pretty well. It appears to be even faster than 27 and considering that 29 will bring also speed dial sync (already included in the developer build), I'm getting to be almost satisfied. :)

13. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Me too, but I really interested in Vivaldi future releases...

I think I may change to it if everything goes well...

14. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Yeah, I'm tempted too but you know it took me quite a long to get used to the Opera Blink and once I got used to it I should leave it? Hmm, I'm not completely sure, at least not now. However I'm keeping eyes on Vivaldi and maybe one time ...

15. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

:) Same here!

But Opera seems to take a long time to implement obvious features and other stuff, so if I see Vivaldi getting better...

16. pegas

pegas Registered Member

That's true, indeed. But my problem is that as I'm already used to the new Opera, I don't miss an inbuilt email client, IRC chat, deep customization etc. So Blink gives me now almost everything I need but never say never ... :)

17. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

This is an interesting situation for sure, product of a corporate divorce. I like Vivaldi--what diehard Opera Presto user wouldn't like it. It is just that is more potential than reality right now. At the same time, Opera Blink has improved considerably since last year. Apart from integrated bookmarks, they've added the ability to globally disable javascript and whitelist specific domains. That is cool, really cool for those of us who see javascript as one of the biggest security issues on the web and being able to control and limit it as an absolute necessity for secure web browsing. It also passed a browser leak test of WebRTC even with WebRTC enabled. That is an interesting result. There is also better font control which is one of the things I use in Presto. So the new Opera is still nothing like Presto but Opera has restored a few key things from the old Opera. That combined with the fact that I can clone and copy an installation without reinstalling and disable the annoying automatic updates makes it a usable browser for me. I still plan on using Presto for a long time to come--I'm posting this with it right now--but Opera Blink has made it into my list of acceptable browsers in its own right and not as a Presto substitute--more as an alternative to Chrome which is a complete no go for me. I will use it alongside Presto, Firefox, Seamonkey and Vivaldi in the future more than likely. The web is way too big for just one browser

18. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Me too. O29 Developer brings some goodies as well that I've been waiting for. With those features in place, the only thing I really miss is tab stacking. Vivaldi to me is too bloated (my problem with Presto as well.)

19. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

The extension sidebar in O29 Developer basically fulfill a lot of my wishes (bookmarks tree, notes...)

sidebar.PNG

20. Rasheed187

I will check out Opera 28, to see if it really is that good, but I doubt it. Opera 12 will be my main browser for years to come. If a site does not work correctly, or if I need to do some "general browsing", I open up Firefox. Hopefully someday Vivaldi and Opera Blink will become much better with all or most features from Opera 12.

21. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

It seems that we will get it first with Vivaldi...

22. MisterB

I don't think blink is going to be anything like Opera 12 in the future. The direction it is going is for a simpler browser. What they are doing, slowly but surely is responding to complaints and addressing specific issues. Javascript disabling is the big one by far. Well, bookmarks too but bookmarks are a convenience while javascript disabling is a real fundamental security improvement and means I can consider use Opera Blink with a few extensions in as a secure browser for doing online transactions. Ironically, I'm using Firfox 24esr for that purpose at present. I found I liked the new Firefox much better than the new Opera but more for general surfing so I kept the pre Austral Firefox and started using ESR releases so I wouldn't be tempted to do casual surfing on the same browser I'm doing business with.

Vivaldi pretty much has the intent of doing a new browser based on the old Opera and I hope this works out. What has obviously happened is that there are a lot of users of the old Opera out there who didn't like the change and you and I and a lot of others squawking about it online and declaring our love for Opera Presto has motivated a better state of affairs where we have both a new browser based, at least conceptionally, on the old Opera and the new Opera making a few important concessions to those who complained about it being too simple and dumbed down--most of its former user base in other words.

23. Rasheed187

Yes, I still wonder if it was really necessary to kill Opera Presto, none of the other browsers come even close when it comes to usability. Both Firefox and Chromium based browsers feel a bit heavy even on newer machines.

But anyway, I've checked out Opera 28, and to me it's still junk, it does not work smoothly with Sandboxie, "Opera Crash Reporter" keeps getting loaded for no reason, and there is no smooth bookmarking system. I think Vivaldi is already better.

http://www.ghacks.net/2013/10/22/disable-opera_crashreporter-exe-process-windows/

24. MisterB

The bookmark extension works better for me than the built in bookmarking.

I'm not running it sandboxed. I found that I can tweak a lot of things I don't like with the opera://flags menu. I'm definitely not running it out of the box, I have a customized installation that is a bit hacked at the file system level.

As I said before, it is no substitute for Presto but it is making progress as a substitute for Chrome. I've been working on the systems of a couple of people who are elderly and not into computers the way I am and I'm surprised that they feel the same way about Chrome as I do: They don't like it and find it very pushy. They don't have any problem with Firefox. I think they would find a default installation of Opera Blink a bit pushy too but not as much as Chrome.

25. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Meh, Opera still doesn't support adding your own search engine to the default search engines, still the same in v30 developer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.