Opera --> New Stable Version Released!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by BoerenkoolMetWorst, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

PPAPI is more secure and stable, it executes in a separate process in the browser and is sandboxed. NPAPI is slowly getting phased out.

2. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Lol, Mozilla making the Shockwave vs Flash confusion even bigger..
    That's the standard Flash you've downloaded.

PPAPI is sandboxed and generally more secure than NPAPI.
    Some more info here, check the Security and PPAPI parts:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NPAPI

I don't know if PPAPI works under Sandboxie, but I would think so.
    Firefox doesn't support PPAPI (yet?) but it worked together with Adobe to create some sort of sandbox, which is default for a few years now. You can confirm it's working by checking if the plugin-container.exe process creates a FlashPlayerPlugin_*.exe process when playing flash content.
    Here's some info on Firefox's flash sandbox vs PPAPI:
    http://www.insanitybit.com/2012/08/...aring-ppapi-flash-to-firefox-flash-sandbox-8/

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

@ BoerenkoolMetWorst

You seem to be a fan of Opera Blink, so 2 questions for you (and others):

1 How to make a URL pasted in the address-bar open in new tabs with Paste and Go.
    2 Does Opera 26 also have the sandboxing capabilities of Chrome Blink?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  4. Rasheed187

BTW, Twitter is also quite fast on Gecko and Blink, it performs poorly on Presto, I really hate JavaScript heavy sites. VK is still quite fast on Opera Presto, see link 2. That's what I call "good design". I also found this article (link 1), Opera 12 clearly can't keep up, but most sites still load fast enough.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/chrome-27-firefox-21-opera-next,3534.html
    http://vk.com/search?c[name]=1&c[photo]=1&c[section]=people&c[sex]=1

5. AutoCascade

AutoCascade Registered Member

It their quest to be different they have removed features from Chromium.
    Since it is no longer being developed how would you know there were no security flaws in it? The user base must be smaller than minuscule at this point so that no hacker would bother with it.

I really like the old Opera. Their current blink fork is terrible. In order to seem different they removed existing features from Chromium which borders on hilarity.

6. Pharao

Pharao Registered Member

That link 1 works fine for me with Opera 12.17. CPU usage raises at max 12% during page load.
    I assume that our experience differs because of the different hardware we are using.
    Problem is that most webmasters are testing their sites on quite modern machines.

7. Pharao

Pharao Registered Member

Opera Presto has not been developed since the last two years but was maintained for security updates until recently.
    Security flaws don't arise by magic. Most of the time they are introduced with new code.
    Think about it, Google has fixed recently more than 150 security flaws (some of them critical) on a single day in Chromium which gets praised as the most secure browser. ;)

8. AutoCascade

Actually the fast that Opera was still patching security issues 2 years after they rolled that out seems to indicate just the opposite of what you are trying to say.

9. Pharao

Pharao Registered Member

Nope. Look at what has been patched. :)

10. AutoCascade

Don't get me wrong I liked Opera it was a great product. It has to be lacking in browser security tools that are in use now as part of the product itself though probably nothing that couldn't be put into play by the user another way.

I did find it odd that on the old desktop blog and Opera forums, the same users who tolerated nothing poor to say about Opera are now in many cases the users who defend the poor fork of Blink.

Can it still be downloaded and would a profile still be available for download? I have a copy on an old XP machine I was thinking about trying to move it to this one.

11. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Not sure about your profile question. url filters etc? Save your old stuff and should be able to port it right into 12.17 as well as across computers.
    And yes, you can still get it and it works fine on XP and Win7
    http://www.opera.com/download/guide/?ver=12.17

12. AutoCascade

I had an Opera profile that sync'd bookmarks and such.

13. Rasheed187

I can also load the page but navigating to other channels and scrolling does not go smoothly. I get 25% CPU usage, which is high compared to perhaps only 5% on Opera Blink and Firefox.

14. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

1. Not sure.
    2. It does seem to have it, there are not mentions of sandboxing on the Desktop Blog(with one exception, but thats about the PPAPI Flash), but I found 2 mentions in the detailed changelogs:
    DNA-23636 Assertion failure in content::StartSandboxedProcess while running opauto with debug builds
    DNA-23652 [Linux] opera_sandbox missing from the goth test packages
    DNA-18014 DCHECK fail in SandboxedUnpackerTest.NoCatalogsSuccess unittest
    And when using Process Explorer it shows an Opera parent process with running at Medium Integrity level and all child processes run with Low Integrity, and it is possible to run Opera, like Chrome, with -no-sandbox flag, in which case all processes will be Medium. But with the lack of information from Opera I don't know if they have all the same capabilities.

15. Rasheed187

@ BoerenkoolMetWorst

1 It probably can not be done, the morons forgot about it, this says a lot about their mindset.
    2 Thanks for checking, I also saw this (Medium-Low Integrity) but that was because I am running it sandboxed via Sandboxie.

16. Rasheed187

I agree with this, I hate these dumb/no skill web-designers, IMO all well designed websites should run smoothly even on 10 year old machines. Only then you know that you have done a good job. BTW, here is another example were Opera 12 struggles, it sometimes freezes because of high CPU usage (link 1), but weirdly enough it has no problems with link 2. But to me the site-design is kinda crappy, it didn't have to be this heavy.

https://www.videoland.com/
    https://www.videoland.com/videoland-unlimited

17. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

That may not be realistic. As these machines become fewer percentage wise it is reaching a point where the economic cost of maintaining compatibility will become prohibitive. I see this more and more. Another example, of a commercial program is Intuits Quickbooks. New version every year, and the older versions do work, but if you use any add on services, the will only work for 3 years, and then you have to update. Aside from revenue, they don't want to have to keep supporting older versions. Unfortunately that is reality.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  18. Rasheed187

@ Peter2150

I don't see it as "maintaining compatibility", sites should be designed as simple and light as possible. Designers should not forget what the web is all about, making info easy accessible, and you really only need text, graphics and perhaps a little bit of JavaScript for this.

But nowadays, designers seem to think they need to add all kinds of bells and whistles. On top of that, a lot of website layouts are ugly as hell. Weird, because almost all paper magazines look good. Sometimes I think I should go into the web design business, surely I would become a millionaire with my "less is more" vision.

IMO all sites should load quickly on old hardware and should work correctly with the Gecko, Webkit, Trident and Presto browser engines. Even the forum software that Wilders Security is using has a serious flaw, with scripting turned on, it will cause ridiculously high CPU usage (Opera 11 and 12) when typing. Of course only on older machines, but still unacceptable.

19. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Rasheed

You are forgetting one thing when you say unacceptable. You do realize someone is paying for this stuff. They probably don't want to pay a premium for the few who don't upgrade. That is life. Ah would you pay to visit some of these sites?

20. Rasheed187

@ Peter2150

Basically, my rules of thumb is: if your site doesn't work smoothly in Opera 12 (Presto) and a 5 year year old "high end" machine, you should go back to the drawing board. Just look at the homepage of Tumblr, I noticed that it will make Opera use a high amount of CPU time, and besides that, the question that arises is: why? Just keep it simple! But OK, I will stop now.

https://www.tumblr.com/

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  21. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    opera Opera 27.0.1689.54 is out and it's even faster:thumb:

1)
    ps i noticed that it renders the thumbs in the speed dials every time i start it , could you confirm?
    2)
    and another weird thing , i installed the portable version , i copied everything on another partition and it lost all the password

could please confirm ?

22. pegas

pegas Registered Member

For all who want to revert to the modern speed dial thumbnails, as used in Opera 26, go to to opera:flags#experimental-start-page and select "Enabled" from the dropdown menu and restart the Opera. If needed, click on "Go back to the new start page" in the bottom-right after Opera restart.

For all who want to change the bar to vertical position, as used in Opera 26, upon enabling the experimental start page (see above), go to opera:flags#webui-navigation-bar, and select "Disabled" from the dropdown menu and restart the Opera.

23. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi Pegas
    really i did not get it
    in opera 26 , the spead dials are stored like jpg , it was instant
    in opera 27 when i start the thumbs are blank and start to populate and visualize the thumbs , it doesn't upgrade
    opera:flags#experimental-start-page doesn't fix

thanks
    sorry for my poor english

24. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Just curious if did you encounter the thumbnails reloading issue also in portable version?

25. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Tab menu is very useful!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.