Opera --> New Stable Version Released!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by BoerenkoolMetWorst, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Pharao

Pharao Registered Member

2. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

No that is not it. There is random font substitution. Javascript has no effect one way or the other. Reloading the page a few times works.

Attached Files:

3. Pharao

Pharao Registered Member

No need for me to reload the page.
    That's how it looks here: http://i.imgur.com/75vlmw3.jpg

Starting to wonder if it isn't maybe something on your end (any extension/filter)?

Edit: Have you maybe "Fit to Width" enabled?

4. MisterB

No fit to width. It is a random font substitution that sometimes puts in garbage fonts that are illegible. I clone my Opera installations so all of them are the same. Extensions are ABP, Scriptkeeper and Ghostery. That's it. Fonts are always normal in Xp with the same installation. I'm sure it has something to do with css but I haven't found what yet. I checked it with Opera dragonfly and it is affecting <h1> tagged elements specifically on Torrentfreak.com

5. MisterB

Ok, I just checked it using Opera Dragonfly in Xp where it does work and in Vista where it doesn't. Dragonfly is launched by right clicking over the text in question and selecting "Inspect Element" That gives the complete .html source and .css style of the area of the webpage in question. Dragonfly doesn't work at all in Vista on the sites that I get the font issue on, all I get is a message that "This window has no runtime". Hmm.

In any case, such power browser features are why I continue to use Opera 12. This is a feature that is mainly useful for either web development or analyzing web pages for such things as malicious scripts or badly written style sheets. Nothing like it in Opera Blink which is a consumer orientated browser.

6. pegas

pegas Registered Member

That's meaningful justification I have ever heard from Opera Presto users. Thanks. :thumb:

7. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

You're kidding me right, Opera Presto is the least attacked browser, probably because it isn't that popular. So it's actually good for security.

Same over here, and I see some sites were even fixed and now work correctly with Opera Presto. Actually, if you're a good web-designer you should make sure that your page is compatible with all of the big browser engines IMO.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  8. Pharao

Pharao Registered Member

Did you say fixed? :)
    Many sites did sent garbage code when the Opera UserAgent string was detected.
    Browser sniffing for Opera Presto doesn't pay anymore, so they removed it.

9. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Well I guess security through obscurity (obsolescence) is an option in this case.

For me, Opera Presto is extremely sluggish feeling, and breaks a lot of pages.

10. Rasheed187

A lot of exploits are geared only towards IE, Chrome and Firefox, they don't even work on Opera Presto. Also, Presto is actually quite fast, and I wonder what type of sites you visit, because almost all of mine work correctly. The only thing I noticed is that Gecko and Blink are way faster on sites that use a lot of AJAX/javascript, for example Facebook is a nightmare on Opera Presto. BTW, I wonder if Opera Blink also has the sandboxing capabilities of Chrome, does anyone know?

11. Rasheed187

Seriously, I didn't even know that. That might explain why some sites all of a sudden work more smoothly when I change the browser ID. But yes, some sites that didn't work correctly, now do. Sometimes I also mail web-masters, and most of the time they are willing to fix stuff. An example is this site, they changed some code on it, causing the streaming stock quotes to stop working, but they fixed it.

http://www.belegger.nl/koersen-AEX.index

12. MisterB

Turn off disk caching and set up a small memory cache--around 50mb. Disk caching is for slow internet connections. A fast connection doesn't need much caching. That will get rid of the sluggish feel.

Opera has always been secure in that it is not deeply tied to the system like IE. That applies to both Presto and Blink.

13. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi can i set 50mb of cache?
    thanks

14. MisterB

In the menu I get 60mb. I have mine set to 100mb.

15. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i haven't this menu
    where can i set the cache size?
    is there a screenshot?
    thanks

16. mantra

mantra Registered Member

opera presto is 12.12 ,isn't it?
    thanks

17. Rasheed187

Another example of a site (link 1) that used to work perfectly before some moron decided to use extensive AJAX scripting, now it causes Opera Presto to use high amounts of CPU usage. My solution was to switch to another site, see link 2. It's not as automated but I still like it better.

http://www.tvgids.nl/lijsten/verticaal#channel=1
    http://www.tvgids.tv/zenders

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  18. Rasheed187

I'm not sure what you mean, the latest version is 12.17, but all Opera versions have this security advantage. And all old versions have problems with JavaScript heavy sites. A question about Opera 26, how to make a URL pasted in the address-bar open in new tabs? Another thing I noticed: when trying to search from the address bar, it also searches for your bookmarks, not a problem normally, but it automatically selects the bookmark URL, making it difficult to search for the keyword.

19. MisterB

It's in the advanced tab under history.

20. mantra

mantra Registered Member

how can i know what shockwave flash plugin version do i have installed ?
    i'm running opera v26
    thanks

21. pegas

pegas Registered Member

In plug-ins list in Opera. Btw, can I ask why do you need shockwave flash? Are you playing games or ...? One the biggest mistakes of PC users is that they need this flash but Adobe's flash player is enough in the most cases.

22. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    to watch some youtube videos , or newpaper videos

23. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Then I believe that you don't need it. I uninstalled it a couple of months ago and since then I never stumbled upon a site where this plug-in would be required.

24. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Adobe released Flash v16 stable also in a PPAPI version, Opera supports it since v24 and should prefer the PPAPI version if both PPAPI and NPAPI are installed. So Opera users can now enjoy a sandboxed Flash if they install the PPAPI version.(Unfortunately, it's not available for download on the clean installers page that isn't allowed to be linked here, only the normal download page:
    https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/)

I haven't had the Shockwave player for years, normal Flash is good enough

25. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i always installed only flash,but firefox report it as shockwave flash
    i download it here _http://get.adobe.com/it/flashplayer/ ~ Removed Rest of URL As Per Policy ~

may i know what the gain of ppapi ? that can it work under sandboxie?
    i can run firefox and flash under sandboxie too

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2014
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.