Opera Dropping Presto In Favor Of Webkit?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mman79, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Re: Opera officially announces gradual transition from Presto to WebKit and Chromium

Can't you be happy for my sake Dave, now that I got a new browser to try out :D

Oh what is that suppose to mean, i'm writing this in Safari you know :rolleyes: :D

3. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Even though I am sad Opera is resigning on Presto I understand their decision. Development of Presto has been economically unsustainable for Opera. It can be read between the lines of the official announcement. We can scold or whatever else but their budget has been run out. The end of story.

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Re: Opera officially announces gradual transition from Presto to WebKit and Chromium

Sorry SweX, I hope OperKit is good for you.

Ermmm ... no comment. ;)

5. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

this just well... sucks....

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I do not understand why people think that just because opera is using the webkit engine they may as well use chrome. safari has used webkit for far longer than chrome and chrome is not the same as safari.

I do not think opera would change engines on a whim.

Opera could well be even better after this change since they can use their resources to improve specific features rather than duplicating standards with their engine.

surely is apple keeps on declining ideas from third parties then they could be thrown off the board of webkit open source project?

7. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

They will move to Chromium (maybe you're confusing it with Chrome?) as well as to WebKit!

http://www.opera.com/press/releases/2013/02/13/

"...this year Opera will make a gradual transition to the WebKit engine, as well as Chromium..."

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  8. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i hate chrome and chromium personally and hate this move. as a opera user for years i think this is stupid

9. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

I'm sad about this move also... First because we lose a browser option, and second because I'm afraid that the new Opera will not be as configurable as it is now. All in all, a really bad move.

10. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

And the final end to Opera arrives, at least for the hardcore users. Opera will regret this I think, at least in the short term. The bigger issue has already been mentioned though, we're headed straight back to the days of "Works best with". We were nearly there anyway because I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of the biggest sites are designed with WebKit in mind. So yeah, now we'll be down to what, 3 real choices in the browser world? I hate to dump all over Opera, I haven't read all the links yet, but I assume they're doing this to try and keep going and to at least attempt to make the web a bit more tolerable under Opera. But it's bad news regardless because they pretty much are waving a white flag and again it'll only make the web a worse place overall.

11. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Chrome has gotten crappier with time, and I'm not head over heels in love with Firefox. For some of us we may be down to one browser, lol, and that's only if we at least halfway like IE 10.

12. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

I believe dropping presto will prove to be a mistake, at the very least Opera will lose it's identity, but I fear it will get much worse than that. :(

13. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Well, as Mozilla stated, their job will get more difficult as well since they were trying to keep to standards as well instead of WebKit taking over. Opposition to this poor practice is drying up. I also see Opera as a company changing dramatically over the course of the year and especially once the deal is done. I can almost guarantee the Opera browser in short time will neither look nor act like the Opera we all know. It wouldn't shock me in the least for its current configurability to be stripped way down or cease to exist, much like its soon to be Chromium family.

14. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

I'm very sad about this confirmation... Opera user since 2007, always fond of Presto, very fine browser engine...
    Opera lost its appeal, I'll stick with current presto builds until the inevitable day it become unsuferable, maybe in 1.5 or 2 years.

RIP presto. :(

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  15. PressAnyKey

PressAnyKey Registered Member

Why?

You don't have to read between the lines. You can read Opera's financial statements. You will find that the company is more profitable than ever.

16. PressAnyKey

Why? If they get even more users because there are no more site compatibility problems, Opera will be very happy indeed.

Actually, I don't think it makes a difference one way or the other. Presto sure as heck wasn't making a difference, so replacing it won't even be noticeable in the short term.

How will Opera lose its identity? The identity is in the user interface and branding.

17. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Are they seriously? I avoided this topic, assuming it was just referring to their iOS port.

Is the desktop version really moving to webkit? Very good move, if so. Moving to an open project is a good thing. It's why projects like Firefox exist.

18. rinem

rinem Registered Member

Its the only way Opera can survive. Theyre obviously great coders but investing time in Presto when everybody loves the speed of chrome with its webkit is lost effort and its getting Opera nowhere.

19. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

That's not the problem, the problem is coding for nothing but WebKit and now that Opera is going to it there is even less reason to not do so. That is what may lead us right back to the old days of "IE only"-types of experiences. Besides, moving to an open project isn't always fantastic. Opera could very well end up as just another Chromium clone (I doubt that, but it's not impossible).

@PressAnyKey: Read the rest of the thread in regards to the problems the web may have with this move. In regards to Opera regretting it in the short term, obviously you've not been around Opera fans enough. Opera stands to lose many "hardcores" who won't be happy about Opera "selling out" (their line of thinking, not my words). Whether it solves the problems Opera has on many websites remains to be seen, though I'm in the camp that thinks it may indeed solve some of that which is of course a good thing.

20. PressAnyKey

What reason is there to not code just for Webkit now? Presto certainly didn't prevent that from happening.

What is a Chromium clone?

I did read it. Please explain. Clearly, Presto is not relevant to web developers, so what difference does it make if Opera starts using something else?

What about all the people who may finally start using Opera because it now works on all sites?

21. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

The issue with coding only for IE is that IE is a closed project controlled by Microsoft. Webkit is open.

Losing competition is the issue, but Opera was never in the running anyways.

22. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Hungry, the big question is if by switching to WebKit Opera will retain all its facilities or it will be dumbed down? I don't have an answer for that, but I have a feeling that it's going to be the latter.

23. DrBenGolfing

DrBenGolfing Registered Member

Excellent! :thumb:

24. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Try reading more of the topic:

25. DrBenGolfing

DrBenGolfing Registered Member

Looks like Windows 8 owns Apple if they have to issue touch patches.
    "With Google's WebKit developers open to the use of Pointer Events, it's likely that WebKit will, at some point, gain support for the spec. Microsoft's contribution could well help speed this process along. Firefox and Opera are likely to implement the spec too, given their involvement with the standard. Should this happen, the ball will be squarely in Apple's court: it can either support actively-developed, royalty-free, interoperable Web standards, or it can stick with Touch Events and ignore the work being done."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.