Opera Dropping Presto In Favor Of Webkit?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mman79, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I don't think that NotScripts has been developed for a bit.

2. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Thanks but thats not free....its a trade off sort of thing..buy from elsewhere and get this free.:ouch: :ouch: :ninja:

3. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

That's not true.

depending on the deals available for your country there are some that are completely free that require no purchase.

new deals are coming and going all the time.

4. The Red Moon

Trialpay is not free..sorry jeffrey but thats the truth.o_O

5. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

Excuse me but I beg to differ.

many of their deals do cost money, yes.

but many of them do not.

i know this for fact.

Now none of those truly free ones may be be available for you country but that's nothing I can control :)

6. The Red Moon

im using the 30-day trial of admuncher and running ok so far.Ive never used trialpay so not entirely sure how it works but i thought you had to buy something from a partner and then receive a free product from them.:blink: :blink: :ninja:

7. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

Some of them are that way yes.

Some of them just ask you to sign up for something or fill out a survey etc...

costing you nothing but time.

The deals vary by country.

it's an option for those who with no other options.

8. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Using Opera 95%+ of the time.

When pages/sites don't cooperate I'm reaching for Comodo Dragon more than FF these days. CD is way better configured than chrome.

9. The Red Moon

Same here...I have opera and dragon both installed.Only been using opera for a day but its a nice browser.:thumb:

10. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Yeah, it probably has a lot to do with the page designers. Anyway, let's hope you're right :)

Interesting, I have never seen those, everytime I see a trialpay you have to buy another product.

11. Daveski17

If you 'right-click' on a webpage in Opera, you can choose the 'Open With' dropdown menu selection, which will give you a choice to open the page on any other browser on your computer.

Plus, if you right-click & choose 'Edit Site Preferences' - 'Network' - 'Browser Identification' you can actually have a choice of user agent for that specific page.

12. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Ah thanks, didn't know about that one.
    Yes, I use that some times, but if a site doesn't work in opera, changing the user agent usually doesn't work for me.

13. Daveski17

That's often the case, unfortunately.

14. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

In my windows 8 machine I use opera 64 bit. It is best in terms of resource usage and speed. Next comes IE. Firefox frequently consumes more than 80% of cpu and chrome is slow (I think it is a windows 8 specific issue). I hope whatever changes opera intends to make doesn't affect its quality.

15. Daveski17

I honestly very much doubt that they will drop the Presto engine for the desktop version. I don't find Chrome faster than Opera on Win 7 x64 or Vista x86. I also don't see any difference in speed between Firefox & Chrome either. I honestly believe that Presto is a better engine than WebKit anyway. I think that WebKit is seriously overrated for conventional (non-mobile) desktop computers.

16. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I don't know if webkit is better than Presto, i just know one thing. Opera should go back to its roots. It used to be known for speed, polished skins and elegance. If they manage to build on these characteristics again, they will have good future.

17. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

If it happens, it'll be interesting to watch the reactions. Imagine if they drop Presto in favor of Webkit and manage to pull it off before Chrome 64-bit gets released....

18. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

It wouldn't affect Chrome in the slightest, at least not in the short term. Chrome is an entirely different beast regardless of speed differences. Opera would have to be rebuilt from the ground up to be what Chrome is, so would Firefox. Besides, I've become more and more convinced that them going to Webkit would just make the current coding issues worse. Coders have gotten to where they're coding for Webkit with little to no attention paid to others. Coding for one, maybe two rendering engines/browsers was already a long occurring issue and it's getting worse.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  19. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

@Mman79

I wasn't comparing the 2. What I tried to imply is that it *might* be a viable option (not necessarily a competition) to those who prefer Webkit engine and wish to use a native 64-bit browser at the same time. Just saying...

20. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I see what you're saying. Yeah, it could be viable for sure. Only recently has Chrome made any progress towards 64 bit, while Opera has had it a while and IE 10 now is a proper 64 bit browser and is supported (Mozilla is screwing up by not supporting 64, but whatever). They have to know this move would actually solve problems though and not just cover it up like prefixes, user agent strings and all that does. I don't know, as we inch closer to March we'll just have to pay attention to the goings on over at the developer blog and Opera communities.

21. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

22. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

23. Daveski17

Yeah, Presto rocks (... when it isn't breaking pages ...) ;)

24. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

But we will probably see really interesting things when they start the talks about Opera 13.

This situation contrasts with Mozilla, which only creates high expectatives with talks about Servo (instead of the next version of Firefox - FX 19?) IMO. lol

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  25. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I've not heard a word about Servo in a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.