Opera configuration??

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bigc73542, Aug 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Your welcome ice. ;) :D

snowbound

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Apparently you can download a version containing Java or one without. What is recommended here?

4. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Still trying to get used to this browser. :p

Me thinks it is time to hit that 30 days to loving Opera site. :D

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

how do you update it o_O i tried clicking on the "check for new release" but nothing happens :| i still have 8.02. should i download the new version and install it over the top of this version? a new version has come out hasn't it? 8.5, i think.

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i'd get the java version and disable it, and only enable it if you need it and on a site you trust.

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

for the last several versions I just install the newer versions over the top of the old one. It has always worked well.

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks BC, i think i'll try that way. thanks :cool:

9. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

I'd be interested to hear a bit about opera mail....who's using it? any good? how to configure? etc. I've currently got a pop3 through thunderbird, another through outlook2003, and a couple of gmails.....

10. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I used to use Opera mail but didn't like it much it can't touch thunderbird and gmail.

11. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Thanks Curt! That one's easily sorted then! :D
    Cheers,
    Brad.

12. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Since no-one has yet mentioned this, it is possible to configure Opera to warn you whenever you connect to a secure website (https://...). This can be important since the (encrypted) content will not be picked up by any third-party filtering applications, so if you are relying on such an application for handling cookies or Javascript, https:// pages will bypass it.

Some advertisers (e.g. DoubleClick) have placed ads on secure webpages (e.g. with banks or online stockbrokers) so making this change will alert you to these and allow you to stop such connections.

For more details, please see the Dangers of HTTPS thread.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2005
  13. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Actually opera`s gmail is the only one that i use.
    The only way to know whether or not it is for you is to try it.

I like the way i can have it in the tabs along with my web pages.

Also, it means that i dont have to have another program running.

14. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i was just at another site reading about keyboard shortcuts, i want to stop using my mouse completely and might unplug it for a week. anyway, i clicked an Opera link, at Neowin, thinking it would take me to a page to show some shortcuts, but it was a direct download and some shortcuts were installed in under a second. how do i uninstall them?.

this link below takes you to a page that has keyboard shortcuts, but not the one i downloaded. it is safe to go to. there's one with a very similar URL called MoreMail 7.5 for Opera 7.5. how can i find what i installed? i did a google search for the url, but nothing. and how can i uninstall it? thanks

here's the safe link to the page with the shortcuts.
    http://my.opera.com/community/customize/setups/index.pl?show=keyboard

this is the link i clicked at Neowin thinking it would take me to the link above, but it installed the shortcuts. i wouldn't go there as i don't know which shortcuts they are.
    hxxp://my.opera.com/customize/setups/setup.pl?id=1321&show=keyboard

i just had a look at Tools>Preferences>Advanced tab>Shortcuts and in the keyboard box it says Opera Standard, so do you think i might have downloaded something that was for an old version and it didn't install? even though it did say installing keyboard shotcuts with no errors when i pressed the link? i don't want them :)(

has anyone ever used these shortcuts at the link? are there any good ones? thanks.

Opera Newbie needs help =8O|

thanks in advanced, in need of an Opera wizard 8<:)

15. Tony

Tony Registered Member

16. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks Tony, i knew it wasn't malware and the page was save, but i was wondering where on my HDD the shortcuts were saved so i can delete them. do you know? actually, i hadn't checked my Opera folders, but just looked for a setting inside Opera. i'll have alook in the folders to see if i can find it and delete it from there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.