Opera beta 10.53 released for Linux

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by linuxforall, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

2. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Finally, a release of Opera that doesn't look like crap in Linux. About time.

Docky doesn't seem to like it for some reason.With the .tar.bz2 archive (I'm not installing the .deb until it goes final), Docky refuses to allow me to pin Opera to a dock, and the display icon for it seems looks very pixelated. No complaints so far with the browser itself, however.

3. linuxforall

Figures cause now Opera uses its own engine and not native qt as before, it looks quite slick and runs real good as well but still needs work. Been installing the alpha deb since its introduction, never faced any issue, I do a sudo apt-get --purge remove opera before installing a newer one. Thank heavens there is no registry in Linux.

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  4. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

What do you recommend when Opera 10.53 goes final. I am waiting for the final and am wondering whether one can simply upgrade or whether a clean install is called for. In the past when for instance installing a new Ubuntu and hence a new copy of Opera, I simply replaced the ~/.oprea folder with a backup of this folder made just before the new install, saving me a lot of time ( modified toolbar etc.). I would be going from 10.10 to 10.53.

Thank you in advance.

5. linuxforall

Hi Ocky,

Safest way is the --purge remove and it makes sure no files are left behind except for your profile and mail at /.opera This has always worked for me reliably. Try out the beta, its quite good really.

6. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

OK, Thank you linuxforall.

7. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

I forgot how I installed opera in lucid (short-term memory thing, don't ask), but I had an entry in synaptic-third party software for opera beta updates. Just finished downloading now.

8. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Every time I open Opera 10.10 (64 bit) in Ubuntu I get several entries in the log file viewer like this :-
    operapluginwrap[11586]: segfault at 0 ip (null) sp 00007fff92d55ce8 error 14 in operapluginwrapper-native[400000+27000]
    Probably meaningless as there are zero problems.

Does this also occur with Opera 10.53 ?

9. linuxforall

Yes it does, its harmless but its a known bug.

10. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

linuxforall, yes Sir, it is pretty fast.:D Just installed side by side on Karmic on 2nd hd.
    Only thing I don't like is the default skin and menu bar missing so changed that (at the expense of some screen real estate). Followed instructions on Opera forums to install side by side .. in a nutshell:-

Opera has been installed successfully. To start, run
    │ /home/walter/.local/bin/opera-10.60 (you might want to add this
    │ location to your PATH).

│ To manage installed Opera Widgets, run
    │ /home/walter/.local/bin/opera-widget-manager-10.60.

│ To uninstall Opera, run
    │ /home/walter/.local/bin/uninstall-opera-10.60.

Opera 10.60.jpg

Remember to select the libflashplayer.so and not the ....alternate.so under prefs>advanced>downloads>swf if using the 10.1x version of flashplugin-installer from the repos. on a 64 bit OS. See here http://my.opera.com/ruario/blog/problems-with-nspluginwrapper-and-flash-on-64bit

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  11. linuxforall

12. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

They are very nice - but my menu bar is too dark. I also like this one .. don't know if it's optimised for 10.60 ( looks maybe a little yesterday's story like) :)

Ibis Inspire.jpg

13. linuxforall

Thats another favorite of mine Ibis Inspire, its regularly updated by its author.

14. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Now have Opera 10.60 bld.6355 - Java is supposed to work but I have no idea how to enable it. The Java button in Tools>Prefs>Adv>Content is missing, so I can't set the path as with 10.10 version. opera:config shows Java = Enabled. system is using : java version "1.6.0_20"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_20-b02)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 16.3-b01, mixed mode)

During install I chose global.

Can you help ?

Not to worry, just added the path /opt/java/jre1.60_20/lib/amd64 and it's working.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  15. linuxforall

If you install via deb file, it works automatically. In my case I just installed and pointed to http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

16. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Can you do side by side installs with the deb file ?
    All's fine here and I find myself using 10.60 more than 10.10 :)

17. linuxforall

I guess not, however I did try to go back to 10.10 but just couldn't resist 10.60 anymore. So now my default is 10.60, so far no crashes and mail seems to be working quite well.

18. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I was never all that keen on Opera's widgets, now I see they are separate applications i.e. no longer run in browser. I don't know whether they work in Linux.
    Seems crazy, they will continuosly be running as processes, and what about security ? I will not succumb to this widgets nonsense :)
    What do you think ?

19. linuxforall

No security issue as such, there is nothing inbound and widgets are quite useful on their own and its an easy way to implement them, btw new Opera out today with html 5 support.

20. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Is there somewhere I can test html 5 besides Opera's demos ? 10.60 sure is great, I should have dived in earlier. :)

21. linuxforall

Join Youtube's html5 beta program at www.youtube.com/html5

22. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I posted about this in Opera forums and someone replied as follows:-

linuxforall, does that make sense at all ?? Still happens with 10.60 latest snapshot.

23. linuxforall

Ocky, I saw your post there, you can fix this by disabling the plugin paths /usr/lib/mozilla/plugin and the other path /usr/lib/opera/plugins and just leave the path for flashplayer plugin enabled. You loose vlc and totem plugin but flash works fine and this message stops. I still don't buy the Opera dev or Ruario's take on this issue as Chrome doesn't give me this message and Flash works fine on it as well.

24. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Thank you very much - that did the trick (also disabled xulrunner path). It was rather annoying and seems to have solved the other problem mentioned in my Opera forum post. Bit of a nuisance - almost switched to chrome/chromium. I simply couldn't find any posts in the Opera forums mentioning this and am therefore doubly grateful for your solution, albeit a partial but minor 'crippling' of the browser. I usually download any videos to desktop anyway. I hope they sort this out soon.
    BTW. How does this site render on your machine(s). http://www.nasdaq.com/
    Check the menus, compare to Firefox where the page is shown correctly. In Opera forums they say there is no problem.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  25. linuxforall

Ocky the Nasdaq pages looks the same in Chrome and Opera here, I use Chrome as my alternate, in FF it does look better, try spoofing your browser as FF for that particular page.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.