Opera and mozilla went dead after win updates.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bigc73542, Mar 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I went to windows update and downloaded a couple of critical updates. Well after I rebooted I tried to listen to some midis on the web and all opera did was show a lot of writing that looked a lot like russian instead of playing the tunes. I went back to the site and tried firefox and it does the same thing. The question is has anyone had this problem with the critical updates causing this problem.o_O

P.S.
    Internet explorer workes just fine.

2. shunned

shunned Guest

could this be related:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=25140;start=new;boardseen=1

3. bigc73542

I can't say for sure but it is suspicious that both quit right after a windows update. What is also curious is that internet explorer works just great. I won't go as far as to say that it is an intentional thing, but it is curious.

4. Shunned

Shunned Guest

BIG

This would not be the first time M$ tryed to take over consumers choices....use M$ products or else.
    BigC you seem to be a real nice person an when I see things like this happening to good people I get so frustrated.

5. bigc73542

Good person o_O You trying to ruin my reputation. :D ;)

It isnt so bad. I have not used IE for a very long time, but there are better ways to secure it now and to tell you the truth it is just as fast as opera or firefox. I think I am going to give IE another chance. ;)

6. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

That has to do with the Windows XP Service Pack 2 which is still in beta .. I don't think it has anything to do with the problem in this thread. ;)

7. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Hey bigc, maybe I could try your link and see if it does the same thing here. I downloaded the updates (last week) and I have Mozilla and Firefox too. My os is winxp home edition though...

8. Shunned

Shunned Guest

LOL......

Hey I use IE....an like it very much....only I went way back to an older version......have tryed just about all the other browsers and returned to IE...
    ...I just don't need That Much extra speed that smaller browsers offer..(that statement sounds like I am old) lol

9. shunned

shunned Guest

Randy

please glance at this to see if its the same as the beta:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=25141

Let me know if you would please

10. bigc73542

I just sent you an IM *puppy*

11. bigc73542

I agree that it is probably not related to sp2 I have a couple of sp2 components but they were there before my problem.

12. shunned

shunned Guest

By Randy:

That has to do with the Windows XP Service Pack 2 which is still in beta .. I don't think it has anything to do with the problem in this thread :

Randy, thats what we are trying to find out.
    Hopefully you are correct....in fact, I really hope you are correct on this

13. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

I have never ever D/Ld a M$ Update and from what I hear from different threads I never will. For one thing I don't think in MHO that their intentions aren't always quite upfront and for another I would never allow any upload from anyone onto my OS that can't be uninstalled, why do they have Updates, patches etc., that once they are in your lovely little OS you cannot get rid if they knock your Computer sideways or delete things you needo_O?.

Cochise, :cool:

14. bigc73542

I fully agree that if possible all updates should be reversible. I don't like the put it in and your stuck with it mentality.

15. bigc73542

Well I seem to have found the problem that caused opera and firefox from playing midis and a few other formats. It seems that my install of sun java became corrupted. I strongly believe that the latest win updates caused the corruption. Anyway it is working again after a reinstall of sun java 1.4.1, If anyone else has this problem they might try what I did to get a remedy to the problem. Thank you everyone that tried to be of assistance on this issue.

16. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

That's interesting, Big C...how did you ever figure it out?

- HandsOff

17. bigc73542

It was just a process of elimanation. I deleted what win updates I could get to, didn't help a bit. Started reinstalling programs that would relate to any audio problems. Well to make a long story short I finally reinstalled jave which was one of the few programs both browsers depended on. IE still worked but it was useing MSvm. Reinstalled sun java and I was cooking again. Now I have to decide what to do about the win updates. o_O

18. HandsOff

This may be obvious to everyone else but it took me a while to figure out. You can apparantly have internet explorer and firefox running at the same time, however, if you try and intall microsoft updates while Firefox is running, it will take forever. Probably not good to do.

- HandsOff

19. bigc73542

IE being a microsoft browser in a microsoft os, and add that it is a part of the os and when push comes to shove or when anything that concerns the os directly such as when win updates are initiated The imbebed browser will take priority.

20. HandsOff

oh, I know...in fact you cannot even run the update page without IE. What I meant is that if you have firefox open say on wilders, then you go to the XP update page to check if there are any new updates without closing firefox, it will eventually return results....maybe ten minutes later...just thought I'd point that out as a hint at what might happen if you downloaded an update and/or installed it with firefox open at the same time. Admittedly, I am probably one of the few people absentminded enough to do it, but I would guess that it would potentially screw something up. (Not suggesting you would ever do such a thing!).

- HandsOff

21. bigc73542

I have downloaded win updates with opera open but before it installs the updates I have to click That I agree and that is when I shut down opera. but usually I go and get the updates and do it manually instead of useing win update page. ;)

22. HandsOff

I hear you, and maybe I am making a mountain into a molehill, but consider... When I am in the search for updates phase, that is even before the download phase and there is a conflict already. A search that normally takes from 1 to 10 seconds becomes a 10 minute ordeal.

I want to say that two different browsers are not truly independent of eachother while they are open. But i don't really know if I could get away with it.

My new premise:

It's bad luck to download an update with a competitors browser running :eek:

- HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.