Opera alerts EU to hidden Windows browser-ballot

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Dermot7, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I think this could be at the root of Opera ASA's problem. We're all in the same boat though. I don't know that much about the history of personal computing or the Net but I'd wager MS did a lot to make personal computer use as widespread as it is today. Admittedly the MS hegemony can be a problem sometimes. Perhaps with more spirited competition this can be improved. I think this all goes back to a time when MS did something underhand to Opera, someone tried to explain this to me once. I have a feeling it was about scripting, Webpages & browser compatibility. Unfortunately my knowledge of these things is a bit limited. In fact my entire knowledge of computing consists of CLAIT/OCR*, ECDL** & Windows Vista for Dummies!

*OCR (Oxford, Cambridge and RSA Examinations)

** ECDL (European Computer Driving Licence)

~ In other words I'm just about computer literate.

I honestly think you're right.

You'd think! o_O

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hmm, destroy perhaps the best example of the Free choice, the one thing that may best represent their supposed ideals. Good show, FOSS Nazis, good show.

3. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Eh... what's this FOSS nazis FUD about? See, if you don't have Opera available in your distribution, then it's:

1/ Licensing problem, because it's simply not allowed to distribute the SW like that on installation media

2/ Wrong choice of distribution on your side if the browser package is missing in their repository altogether. If you want Opera and other proprietary stuff, then choosing Debian or Fedora is simply a wrong choice and move somewhere else - they prefer shipping FOSS-compatible stuff only to providing more choice to their users.

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

A licensing issue would fall on Opera's shoulders and be their fault again that they aren't getting as much exposure. Again, I haven't dealt really with said FOSS zealots so whether it is FUD or not I have no proof. I was commenting that if they truly wanted to kill the Linux desktop, it would be like them marching their own selves to the gallows and wrapping the noose around their own neck. Linux IS freedom, supposedly, so what would be the point?

5. doktornotor

Sure... as it is with other proprietary stuff. Honestly, I understand why they don't want to opensource the thing because people would be amused to death to see the code. (Google for IPv6 issues in Opera and careful or your pants could get quite wet from laughter. The developers simply don't have a clue, there's a fabulous thread about this on Online Armour forums).

See, there are morons and people with rather extreme views in both Linux/FOSS and Windows/proprietary camps. Doesn't mean they represent the majority view.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well, if that were true, I hope Opera gets its stuff together because IPv6 is coming sooner or later. I know less about it than they do so I best not judge, lol. I know there are extreme people in both camps. There always have been and always will be.

7. doktornotor

Well, here are a few quotes from a developer of Opera so that others can enjoy the LOL.

Check opera.linux group for the entire phun. With "pros" like this, no EU or even the God almighty will help Opera to gain more market share. :blink: o_O :thumbd:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2010
  8. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

IPV6 issue in Opera was fixed long time back in Opera.

@dw426

FOSS Nazis are dangerous though, in their zeal, they are willing to pull down Linux desktop if needed.

9. doktornotor

Oh really? :p Well last time I checked about two months ago they "fixed" it by making IPv6 completely non-functional (at least on Linux). I didn't bother w/ the 10.50 betas and in general feel no need to bother w/ Opera any more at all. They should focus on getting more professional developers, fixing bugs and useful development instead of integrating nonsense like P2P or webservers into their browser (ingenious move to make inevitable vulnerabilities a whole lot worse) or this EU political agenda (which got beyond ridiculous with the complaints which this thread is about).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2010
  10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I'm glad Opera fixed that, I knew nothing about it up until now. Linux has enough problems (Stateside) without people trying to pull it down because of some insane idea that proprietary anything is somehow evil. If everything were completely open and free, no money would be made, businesses and vendors couldn't survive.

11. doktornotor

You need a different business model w/ Linux/FOSS. You earn money by providing added value (i.e., services) - not by selling licenses for the code itself. I don't see RedHat or SUSE complain too much that they can't earn their living like this with RHEL/SLES. And you can utilize the crazy community people as free betatesters and coders (see Fedora). And I don't see them going to the EU and alerting the Commission about evil MS either.

And honestly - why should they - their support is generally top-notch, which not many people can say about the Redmond one. :D Trying to compensate for your poor products by pushing a political agenda is not a viable way to do business (except for the Hollywood and recording label monkeys who find it easier and cheaper to bribe the legislature to criminalize users who violate their intellectual "property" instead of adopting their stone-age business models to one that'd be viable for 21st century).

12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

There's pretty good points being made here actually. I'm gonna steer us back in the direction of the topic now though :) Hopefully this ballot thing can get resolved soon and let the EU get back to more important things than a browser war (I know that wasn't what the EU originally got involved in, but it seems to me that is what it has come down to).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.