Opera 9.5 vs Mozilla Firefox 3?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Coolio10, Dec 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Adblockplus alone is not superior to opera block content. Maybe with the filters yes but not alone.
    Adblock requires a dialog to open for blocking. Opera you can pick multiple objects and press done.

2. Coolio10

Exactly what i am waiting for. What are all you firefox guys gonna do when your extensions do not work with firefox 3?
    Yes firefox 3 has a way bigger improvement list.
    Opera 9.5 has 3 :D. And ofcourse the huge speed improvements and bug fixes.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007
  3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

4. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I agree it does seem to take a little while to open sometimes, but can't say I have had problems in loading pages.

5. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

By having very few extensions in the first place, this isn't an issue for me.

6. Arup

Arup Guest

Opera has wand password manager built in which works like roboform to an extent. Whereas the developers of Opera keep it lean and trim with speed as it always has been. FF OTOH has turned to a bloated slow monster full of holes. The security holes are inexcusable for a browser whose premise was a secure browsing compared to IE. Actually IE 7 now runs as fast if not faster than FF and the holes are patched up quickly by MS. Opera has kept its trademark, many feared that when Opera went free, its quality would deteriorate, its been the opposite actually. Like fine wine, it continues to mature. Even when they add new features and speed as in Kestrel, there is never any bloat or excessive compromising security holes.

7. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Firefox has the upper-hand in my case. Opera is a very fine, high-quality software (I use it or Maxthom on resource-constrained PCs), but I like Firefox a bit more.
    FF3 is looking sooo good.

8. Coolio10

You love firefox extensions right? :D

More than half of the new features in firefox 3 are already in opera.

I think developers may move from firefox to opera 9.5 when it is released. Opera 9.5 supports CSS3/SVG more than any other browser(except konquerer :D.).
    Opera 9.5 is improving under the hood while firefox 3 is improving uhmmm over the hood(dashboard?)LOL

9. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Right :) For example, the Zotero extension.
    And you can't be more secure than Firefox + NoScript.
    Read the release notes of FF3 B2 again.

10. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

If they dont work, they go bye bye and I look for an alternative (if necessary).

Im hoping all my extensions get updated.

11. dogma

dogma Registered Member

Can you save profiles in a different location like firefox (Profile Manager) with Opera?

Cause Firefox'x Profile Manager is the most important feature for me.

12. Coolio10

http://operawiki.info/OperaProfiles
    Has to be done manually but offers more customization due to .ini file. So you can keep browsing history of old profile but not widgets of old profile :D.

13. Coolio10

OH YAH GECKO AND CAIRO!!!!

Actually some guy made a userscript for opera which functions like noscript. Sure it does not have all the options and config but it serves the same purpose.

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=205858

14. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Both are good browsers but I prefer Firefox because of extensions. Plus, the ad blocking in Opera is horrible (at least the last time I tried it). I also still say that Opera has a convoluted way of handling cookies as well.

That said, Firefox will always stay on my machine, while Opera will not.

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have recently finally converted to Opera myself, using 9.5 now. Main reason is, it's just the fastest browser I've ever seen. Before 9.5 is was about equal with K-Meleon as far as I could tell, but now in 9.5 it just can't be touched. I am extremely impressed. So if you want speed, Opera is the one.

16. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Hi Kerodo,

I thought Opera 9.25 is the current release? I guess 9.5 is still in beta?

Maybe I should give the browser another shot, but I still love my Firefox.

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Hi Trooper, yes, the current release is still 9.25, however, you can download the 9.5 beta from the Opera site and give it a whirl. It really is much faster than previous versions, somehow they have made major strides in this area. It's worth a look for sure....

18. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

The wand is rubbish compared to roboform unfortunatley.:oops:
    ellison

19. Coolio10

Well compare wand to other browsers built-in password managers. Not so rubbish now is it?

Roboform is 1 product. Opera is a entire suite of web applications. So obviously it is easier to improve roboform whereas opera needs to improve every aspect.

20. Arup

Arup Guest

9.25 is no slouch but 9.5 is deadly fast. Wand works fine with no hitches, doesn't have all the features of roboform but then as a basic automatic password manager, wand does its job.

21. ellison64

Yes ....it is rubbish compared to roboform at present, regardless of the whys and wherefores.
    ellison

22. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hello,

I prefer Firefox to Opera because of NoScript extension. Opera, the last time I've tried it, didn't have a way as convenient as NoScript to block scripts. Scripts were enabled by default, and you had to go into the options to specify trusted and blocked site. You couldn't block by default and then allow site per site directly from the browsing window.

However I'm going to check this last 9.5 beta to see how things eventually improved.

Regards,
    gkweb.

23. Coolio10

How can you compare an entire browser full of features to a single product with a dedicated team?
    Roboform is not part of firefox. Roboform is its own company so you can't compare an extension of firefox to opera, You must compare opera to firefox.

Ok i will take the feature list of roboform. Opera has the basic features which is good enough. Why would you randomly generate a password? Harder to remember.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  24. ellison64

The thread title is opera vs firefox.Opera hasnt anything really better than firefox and vice versa.However roboform supports firefox...that gives firefox a huge advantage in my view.I installed opera 9.5 last night ,and it most definitly is not faster on my pc than either ie6 or firefox,although it seems faster on the gfs laptop than these other two.The difference is she has a top range sony vaio and i have an old p3.Perhaps opera performs better on better spec pcs?
    ellison

25. wideglide36

wideglide36 Registered Member

Coolio10

In your op you asked what would keep people from switching to the other browser.

Simple answer: Roboform

ellison64, I believe is trying to answer your question.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.