Opera 9.5 vs Mozilla Firefox 3?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Coolio10, Dec 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Well they are both amazing but opera has improved amazingly in speed. Opera has way more features than firefox while firefox requires extensions to get near opera. Yet opera still has way less mem usage. The only thing that separates firefox from opera is extensions. Opera will never have extensions because that requires open source. Let the battle begin?

Need to raise opera awareness! Also mention what browser you are using and what stops you from moving to the other browser :D.

http://my.opera.com/Rijk/blog/2006/07/04/top-150-popular-firefox-extensions-and-opera
    http://nontroppo.org/timer/kestrel_tests/
    http://www.cyber-knowledge.net/blog/2006/08/25/34/

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Im using Firefox and Im not switching because of extensions, Live Bookmarks, a couple of Firefox shortcuts.

Im really hoping Fx3 improves memory usage significantly.

3. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Used Opera back when you had to buy it to get rid of ads, but then I tried Firefox and the Adblock extension. Instantly hooked. Firefox 3 is looking good so far, speed has increased however I haven't really checked out the memory usage and leaks yet.

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Although Opera might be safer at this moment, I keep Firefox, because I like it.
    I run Firefox with NoScript, as a sandboxed application (Sandboxie) and as an untrusted application (DefenseWall) and it locks my Data Partition, which is very important.
    If Firefox, NoScript, Sandboxie and DefenseWall FAIL to do their job, my boot-to-restore will fix it during reboot. That should be enough and I see no reason to switch to Opera, because Opera will one day end up like Firefox with one patch after another. It's just a matter of time.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

opera for me.
    i used to use firefox as my main browser and sometimes used opera.
    these days i use opera all the time.
    cant wait for opera 9.5!
    opera is decent atm but 9.5 should be even better.
    i know in the end opera will have to patch and patch like firefox does now.
    but i use a browser because i like it.
    the only annoying thing is when it white screens for a while when you change site settings for example turning on javascript for certain sites that need it.
    i sometimes use portable firefox and everytime i load it up their is an update for noscript.
    lodore

6. wideglide36

wideglide36 Registered Member

Couldn't live without Roboform so I'm sticking with Firefox.

John

7. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I prefer using Firefox, mostly because of familiarity and the add-ons; however, I also have IE7 installed (but never use it) and periodically install the version of Opera that is current at that time.

I really do not understand this either/or mentality towards browsers. They're just tools, after all. I have a dozen or more screwdrivers in my toolbox so that I can have the right one available when I need it. The stubby little Phillips screwdriver doesn't define me any more than which browser I have available.

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

9. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Using opera 9.5 in Ubuntu 7.10 and am also having no problems. Very stable so far. Since safety is always a point of contention in these pointless but fascinating FF vs. Opera threads, I will share with you a link I saw on the PCLinuxOS forum for a new FF extension that purports to be a intrusion protection and prevention system. As stated on their site, it is still in alpha.

http://firekeeper.mozdev.org/index.html

10. Coolio10

Opera has had adblock built in. Right click then press block content. Then you can pick any content on the page for blocking at the same time, unlike adblock which requires many right clicks on each object. :D.
    Some also posted a adblock list for opera here :D.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  11. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

But you don't have to have those extensions in Firefox. That's the beauty of it. I have as few add-ons as possible in order to keep it simple. After all, at the end of the day, I'm only opening a web page and reading its content and that's what I require a web browser to do for me.

12. Coolio10

Yet firefox still uses more mem and takes longer to open and takes longer to load pages :D. HMMMMM :D.

13. OHM

OHM Guest

I use to use FireFox, because of the extensions.
    But after a while, I realized that it takes a lot of mem usage, in my computer.
    Opera is amazing. It has all the feature I need. And it's light and fast.
    I'm sticking with Opera from now on.

14. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Not quite ;) ( http://adserver* ) will block everything from that location.

15. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Firefox with the AdBlockPlus add-on and the EasyList subscription is far superior to anything Opera has to offer.

However, Opera is still a fine browser.

16. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i went from firefox to k-meleon and honestly i dont see a whole lot of difference mem usage wise so i think ill be trying opera now. i hope its better ive had ff freeze and lock up at times and see some crazy mem usage numbers..

17. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Its opera all the way for me. It just performs much better than firefox from my experience.

18. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I can't tell which is more secure, but on my system Opera is definitely faster and feels lighter. I have IE 7 for Windows updates, Gmail, and some rare situations where Opera still is not very welcome here in Korea.

19. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

After years with FF, now running Opera 9.25. I don't miss FF at all.

20. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

wow opera is soooo much slower for me than firefox is. it takes a lot longer for pages to load up. once they do and they are cached they load nice and fast but the initial wait is bad. is this normal and is there a way to turn that off where in the search bar it loads the whole thing before showing you the page.. thats def slowing things down here. thanks

21. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Thats the main gripe i have with opera too,and why i will never use opera as my no1 browser.
    ellison

22. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Are you on dial-up? Or perhaps just experiencing ISP traffic problems when you tested it? From my experience, and most others', Opera is usually faster all around, particularly 9.5, it has dramatically increased in speed.

I have historically used Firefox most of the time in Win and Linux, but I think when Opera 9.5 is final (if not already?) then I may switch for good... it's really nice.

23. Dina

Dina Registered Member

Ill use opera for sure. ive been on it for more than two years now.

while it's not perfect, i havent seen anything in firefox that'd make me want to switch.

24. dogma

dogma Registered Member

Ain't the discussion about the upcoming versions of Opera 9.5 and Firefox 3? There already are posts for battle between the current versions.

Maybe someone can give us the significant features of the upcoming versions. So that we can make comparisons between them and see if anything can potentially sway users of one browser to another.

25. dNor

dNor Registered Member

Says it all for me. Roboform is one piece of software I am incredibly glad I paid for and unfortunately it doesn't support Opera.

Otherwise I'd wait for Opera 10 anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.