Opera 7.50 Beta1

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by crockett, Dec 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crockett

crockett Registered Member

Hello ;) The title says it all...

Lots of improvements, as always with this browser's development crew.

Complete (impressive) changelog at http://people.opera.com/tim/changelogs/750p1full.html

Info on version and download at http://my.opera.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=dcc78a8bc838a3f6e12f59eac25a1695&forumid=31

Rgds, Crockett :cool:

Attached Files:

• 7252.gif
      7252.gif
      File size:
      21.1 KB
      Views:
  2. root

root Registered Member

Almost a totally new browser. Put me back to tweaking big time.
    Old skins and key works fine.
    Importing bookmarks takes a little work and the default toolbar settings leave a lot to be desired, but some really nice improvements anyway.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am trying the new opera and so far it is pretty nice. I am glad it installed in a new folder so I could just copy and paste my skin library and profiles. Everything that was not automatically transfered on installation.But looks like a keeper so far.

4. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

Hi,
    I install this new version, but I prefer the 7.23, because I can click on new windows, home page, etc. and in it version, those buttons don't appear in the main interface.
    I don't like the new interface, the only good is that use less resources.

5. crockett

Come on, Root :) We all know tweaking is the best part to you :D

Hope your're fine...

6. crockett

Hi :)

Getting used to the new Opera features and tweaking very quickly... How about other testers ?

This baby seems even faster than the previous versions ! Amazing... :D

Runs pretty well also... Hard to believe this is a beta 1 version.

Attached Files:

7. peakaboo

peakaboo Registered Member

hi C' :D

heard M2 got a gut lift in latest beta...

any perceptable difference for mail handling?

did you see how Opera handled the latest vuln which claims IE and some other browsers :cool:

http://www.secunia.com/advisories/10395/

8. crockett

Hi Peak' :)

Not noticed much difference for the time being as far as M2 is concerned, but I haven't been playing a lot with it yet. At first glance, seems to me the access to the mail functions have been made easier still - I now can access ALL features from the top menu bar.

Another general improvement I noticed is that now, finally, the sub menus in the bookmarks list are displayed so as not to interfere with the respective menus they're jumping out from.

I couldn't resist the temptation to try and do the test you mentionned above (I suspect you did mention it on purpose, knowing I probably wouldn't be able to sit by and wait and watch) :D So all right I went and tried it.

First (good) surprise: I got the Opera security popup shown in the attachment...

Attached Files:

9. crockett

I then nevertheless clicked on 'OK' to see what would happen, and... nothing did ! Opera 7.50 B1 simply stayed on the same page, the address bar not displaying anything new nor weird.

I also noticed the comment (see attach.) about the address which the 'blind' browser should display when pointing the mouse cursor over the link. And in the case of Opera, the entire fake address DOES appear: http://www.microsoft.com%01%00@secunia.com/internet_explorer_address_bar_spoofing_test/ in place of just www.microsoft.com

Attached Files:

10. crockett

I then decided to go through the whole process all over again. I deleted all private data in Opera (now reached through 'Tools' on top menu bar) and got myself connected back to the test site.

Same story, except for the fact that I now didn't get the security popup mentioned above.

It bothered me for a few seconds, but then I thought to myself that perhaps the first green light I gave Opera had simply been registered for further use.

So I changed 'secunia' to 'testing' in the "dangerous" link, and went 'paste and go'. I then got a new security popup, for the new address did not match any of the positive or negative Opera authorizations.

Same procedure and results when - third test - switching from 'microsoft' to 'pcflank' in the test address.

Complete success for Opera 7.50 B1... Now, THAT's a good Christmas present :D Don't you think ?

Rgds, Crockett :cool: (About to take a couple of days off, so I'll probably be offline for the next few days... Merry Christmas and a Happy NewYear to all !) All posters on this thread just got a Christmas Karma from me ;)

Attached Files:

11. peakaboo

peakaboo Registered Member

Hi ;)

karma good, back at ya :D

Happy Holidays to you.

The more I use Opera the more I appreciate the security aspects built in and not after the fact...

heard even Moz had some problems with the spoofed URL... maybe a firebird or Mozilla user can confirm...

got this from a post by Mikey @ spywareinfo:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.