Opera 6.05 released

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mike_Healan, Aug 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crockett

crockett Registered Member

Hi guys; nice to see you :D

Amazing how this thread looks like it won't ever die :)

Tinribs, I didn't know about the Orbit skin for Opera. I just dwld it and you're right - looks great ! I think I'm gonna use it for some time and see which one I prefer.

Rgds, Crockett :cool:

2. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

Noticed something a bit strange today, Opera is using upwards of 28 meg according to Task Manager ? Its not the Orbit skin as I tried the default after a restart, normall it uses only 13/15 meg, this is with only one wondow/tab open o_O
    In fact I'm finding Mozilla using about the same so something is up.
    Nothing new installed, nothing different, any ideas guys?
    Minimised it still drops to practically nothing,but this is worrying as its turned into a hog in line with Moz.

3. crockett

Hi Tinribs:)

Hard to tell...:doubt:

Do you perform these checks regularly ?

You don't seem to be positive about the fact it all started with the use of Orbit skin ?! If not, when do you think it first started ?

Root, any suggestion ?

Rgds, Crockett :cool:

4. root

root Registered Member

Right now Opera is using 17 megs, with a peak of 58 megs. When I read this post yesterday, I looked and Opera was using 48 megs with a peak of 217 megs. I was using taskinfo and I'm on Win2K SP3.
    Now, I tried clearing my cache and a couple of other things but it makes no difference. Why only 17 megs now? I've been online for hours, but I haven't downloaded anything today, but yesterday I had.
    Maybe temp download files? I don't know. I'll keep an eye on it and when I see it get high again, I wil run windowwasher and clear out everything and see if it drops it.
    Since I have 2k it really doesn't impact me. Thats why I have 2k, instead of 98lite. It is interesting though.
    BTW, skin doesn't affect it much.

5. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello all,

I believe, as in root's statement, this is from the cache and temp files.

When I start Opera "fresh" with all cache and temp files cleaned, I show 10 to 11 megs being used.

As I continue to browse and/or download files/images, this number seems to continually grow.

I have "automatic" enabled as to the cache in Opera but have not tried to limit it to a certain size under preferences>>History and Cache. I will try in the next few days to limit the cache size and see if this helps to control the amount of ram/resources that Opera uses.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Kent

Note: Just in the time that I have composed this reply, previewed it, added this note, and posted this reply, the size has increased from 10 megs to 15 megs.

6. crockett

Hello guys :)

Nice questions/suggestions, thanks Tinribs, Root and Kent.

I'll pay attention to it too. I think I'm gonna try the fixed-size option...

Rgds, Crockett ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.