Opera 6.05 released

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mike_Healan, Aug 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. root

root Registered Member

Guys and Gals, I have found Sugates scans to be very unrleliable lately. It will give false reports of open ports.
    I tried it myself and it said I had several ports open, and I know I didn't. Doublechecked with many other scan sites.
    Others have been reporting similar problems.
    Sygate needs to look into why the false open port readings.

2. crockett

crockett Registered Member

Root;

Did you manage to enter Sygate's testing procedures using Opera ?

If so, how did you bypass the 'Access to this port is disabled for security reasons'-Opera message ? (http://scan.sygate.com:443/cgi-bin/probe/quickscan.cgi)

How could we even explain Opera refused to enter the procedure ?

Crockett

3. crockett

BTW, seems a lot of people are pretty much interested in Opera...

As for now, this thread plus the one entitled 'Opera Web Browser' amount for a total of... 688 views !!

Very happy with that :)

Seems we could send various software-sites webmasters a link to these two threads so they can see there's definitely a need for infos about Opera.

Paul, not sure if you would allow me to use a link to this thread as suggested above ?

Crockett

4. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Crockett,

No need to ask permission for that - happens all the time and it's just OK ;)

regards.

paul

5. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:) Hi Crockett and Paul! I d/led Opera 6.05 yesterday. I've been using v6.03 as an alternate browser for a couple weeks now. It has Java 1.3 and previously I was unable to get Java 1.4. I gather that Opera 6.05 comes with Java 1.4 (the coffee version). Good! (Java 1.3 likes to crash.)

One of the features I especially like about Opera is I can search my own bookmarks. I have hundreds of bookmarks and sometimes I forget which folder I put them in. That's really handy! You can also import your bookmarks from IE. It's an excellent browser!

6. crockett

Hi Prince; nice to hear from you.

Not sure Opera 6.05 does come with JRE 1.4 embedded.

Check it out in your ProgramsFiles/Java folder to make sure.

Could you report on it here?

BTW, second-thought about the possibility to send Webmasters a link to these two Opera-threads without it becoming kind of spamming. Not sure how it might be done...

Rgds, Crockett :cool:

7. Prince_Serendip

:) Hi Crockett! Installed and now running Opera 6.05. I cannot find the keys for Java and Javascript but it appears to be doing okay so far. I uninstalled v6.03 but it left the Opera Folder. I dropped the 6.05 into the old folder. I also uninstalled Java 1.3.1 only to discover on install that I didn't need to do so. Opera 6.05 comes with Java 1.3.1, NOT v1.4. Maybe the new one will work better than the last one did? Do you still have those links to get v1.4?

As for your secondary thought: Which webmaster? I'm afraid I have to admit to ignorance on that.

8. Prince_Serendip

When I made the above post the Post/Submit form appeared to freeze/hang, yet it posted it anyway. Weird!

9. crockett

Prince, hello again;

Please see this yesterday-posted quote as far as webmasters are concerned.

The link to JRE given by Root in a previous post was http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/download.html

French-speaking people can also try to dwl it from http://telecharger.01net.com/cgi-bin/Total.pl?searchstring=jre&system=windows&x=0&y=0

Guys and girls, since dwl JRE 1.4 seems to be difficult under certain circumstances or from certain OS or locations, please share the addresses you got your JRE 1.4 executable from if different from the two threats above.

Don't mention any further link if it was just a 'redirect'-one to an already-mentioned site.

Thanks,

Crockett :cool:

10. Have not read all your thread..but a friend who has and is not a member suggests to some.....

"Maybe you could tell them to just uninstall WHATEVER java they have...then delete the folder...and then download JRE 1.4.001 or whatever it was...and then go to Opera settings and "Find plugins" and enable java.

Also, they should go to IE and disable MS java and enable JRE java."

Hope that helps someone>

11. crockett

Hi everybody;

Found a list of worldwide mirror sites where JRE 1.4 can be dwl from.

Please follow the link http://www.tucows.com/system/preview/194327.html

12. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Well, i was not to happy with the scan results i received at Sygate's site, and with Opera not even allowing the scan, i thought i'd try some more tests, but this time i used PCFank http://www.pcflank.com/

While i was there i also did all the other scans with both browsers and i passed 100% on all of them. This sure looked better than the scan i did at Sygate; at least this time Opera allowed the scans, gave the IP# to scan (which is my router) and came out 100% using both IE and Opera browsers; no tojans, open or closed ports, no vulnerability to the exploits listed----everything came up stealth. :D

But i will just list the scan results concerning the browser tests since this thread is not related to firewalls.

Browser Test using IE6 w/all updates - all settings in the internet zone on disabled, 1st party cookies set to prompt, which i blocked anyways & 3rd party cookies blocked. Profile Assistant not enabled. Advanced Settings - disabled the ones i knew about.

Browser Privacy Check - The test checked if your web browser reveals any private information while you visit Web sites. Usually such information is: the last site visited, your locale and who your Internet Service Provider is:

Results: Attention! Your browser is not private. Privacy is 50%. While visiting web sites your browser sends information about previous sites you have visited.

Cookies check - :) Your computer does not save special cookies on your hard drive.

Recommendation - Your browser (or firewall) set to block cookies so there is no risk to your privacy.

Referrer check - :( While visiting web sites your browser reveals private information (called 'referrer') about previous sites you have visited.

Recommendation - We advise you to get personal firewall software. If you already have a firewall program adjust it to block the distribution of such information (referrer)

Browser Test using Opera 6.5, JRE 1.4 installed - all security settings on high, no java or javascript enabled, Identity set as Mozilla 5.0, display received cookies, which i refused anyways, third party cookies set to refuse, personal identification pages left blank.

Privacy check results - :) Safe! Your browser reveals nothing.
    Recommendation: - Your browser does not reveal any private information while you surf the Web.

Cookies check - :) Your computer does not save special cookies on your hard drive
    Recommendation - Your browser (or firewall) set to block cookies so there is no risk to your privacy.

Referrer check - :) While visiting web sites your browser does not reveal private information (called 'referrer') about previous sites you have visited.
    Recommendation - Your browser (or firewall) set to block referrer so there is no risk to your privacy.

i also did the Browser Privacy Test at http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/BrowserSecurity/ with both browsers and passed 100% because i refused each popup.

hope the above might be helpful, but i am still at a loss why Opera wouldn't allow the scan at Sygate.

snap.
    *just adding i don't use any cookie managing program, just the IE's and Opera's cookie settings, and i don't use any proxies.....my router is a D-Link and i have Sygate Personal Firewall 5 (free version)

13. Gnostic

Gnostic Registered Member

I d/l Opera 6.05 and installed over 5.11 with no problems. I d/l the java-free version. I like the clean look compared to IE and it is as fast as advertised (even over a modem). I like the pop-up manager and the built-in Google search. Printing is very important to me and Opera delivers without a hitch. It works well with ZA and my a/v and seemlessly uses Eudora. I have make it my default browser. I never used a more stable or fast browser.

14. crockett

:)Hi;

From time to time, I kept going back to scan.sygate.com to try to figure out why Opera wouldn't allow for the scans to initiate.

I switched back to Kerio PF 2.1.4 and tried again. At some point, running Mozilla, KPF prompted me, asking if I would allow for some communication to go through port 443 when trying to start the scanning at Sygate. I answered yes, and could go through the entire testing procedure.

I then switched back to Opera, not changing anything in KPF. This time, Opera agreed to enter Sygate's site, but next still refused to allow for the tests to be performed.

That's when it finally hit me (better late than never) ;)

When doing the testing on scan.sygate.com, port 443 is used for the exchange. But no encryption happens at any time, despite port 443 usually being used for encrypted communications.

I believe it to be the reason why Opera 'detects' something is 'wrong'.

To Opera, port 443 may only be used for purposes it was meant to, i.e. encrypted exchanges. Since the communication doesn't call for Opera's encryption tools being used on port 443, Opera considers it to be some kind of violation, and blocks the exchange.

So it ain't some Opera's bug nor some strange 'alien behavior', but rather a well working security feature.

Bravo Opera. What a great browser...

What else is left to say ? ;)

15. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

Sorry for jumping in a bit late but I cant believe I missed this thread!!

I have been using Opera for a long time now, I love it.
    Just wondering on the others views of the mail portion of Opera? I use it as my sole app but something has never 'sat right' in all this time,it just doesn't seem right,plus I dont like having the preview pane open, I have never seen how to disable it so a dbl click opens mail ala OE (yeuch)

16. crockett

Hello Tinribs;

Mail client is not the best part of Opera 6.05 and previous - no doubt about that.

The guys at Opera said Opera 7 will have much improved user interface and capabilities.

Having said that, presently receiving mail with Opera 6.05 has a nice flavor of security which is not to be found in Outlook or Outlook Express.

IMHO, it is currently only the outgoing 'compose mail' option which does not yet live up to Opera's high quality standard. Again, I believe this will be history once Opera 7 is released. It shouldn't be too long a wait...

Rgds, Crockett :)

17. Tinribs

Agree with you there Crocket, I love Opera, have recently given a good trial to Mozilla but I still find it sluggish and it feels 'heavy' somehow.
    But Opera I always return to, it has a few quirks now and then but thats just its charm and usually poorly scripted sites,plus its not M$crosoft and its part of my master plan to get away from them totally one day.
    Looking forward to 7 though.

18. Tinribs

Also on the earlier subject of inherent security, here is a link to look at, its a tad dated now, but have a read and especially pay attention to the 'referral blocking' section!!

What an eye opener, if I realised that was possible then I would have switched years earlier. :eek:

(Of course this may not be 'news' to all, but some here,including me, may be horrified.)

http://www.searchengineworld.com/opera/faceoff.htm

*edit, forgot the link :rolleyes:

19. crockett

Nice link, Tinribs.

Thanks,

Crockett :cool:

20. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

was just reading that too Crockett! :)

thank you Tinribs!

i wonder if they were to up-date that chart and compare it now to IE6 with all the critical patches (sp1) etc., if there would be any noticable change in some areas? would be interesting to see, for sure! ;)

snap

21. crockett

Hello :)

Right, Snap.

Would also be interesting to see if any further chart would be needed should the Opera team decide to make their product a pure freeware (i.e. no longer ad-supported).

Perhaps IE would then be in big trouble...

Funnily, one point I don't agree with in the chart has to do with IE and its cookie management features.

Sure it is not very simple, but as we all know it was part of a larger method to filter pages on several different criteria at the same time - Javascripts, Java, and so on, using 'Internet zones' to tailor-categorize each visited-site.

True, this method should have been coupled with some kind of assistant to simplify the process while real time surfing. That's one of the things ATGuard did when used in conjunction with IE back then.

In fact, this on-a-'zone'-basis filtering is the only feature I miss now I never use IE anymore.

22. Phazor

Phazor Registered Member

Was thinking of trying a different browser, and i keep jumping back and forth between opera and mozilla.
    I was really interested in opera a few weeks ago and when i got to reading through their site, i found the section on ads and cydoor, it really turned me off and i started looking into mozilla.
    I got pretty close to installing Moz and didnt, thought i would look into more and it seems moz has about as many bugs/fixes as IE.
    I then came across this posting and saw the link for the site comparing the browsers, now im really interested again. But concered about all the ads and the cydoor thing.

How many of you people use the free (ad supported) version and how many of you use the pay for version. (ad free?)

Seems too depending on what board you vist, it could go either way on which browser to use.

It sounds like from what ive read that you cannot really ditch IE anyway (is that true). That you still need to use it for certain things.

And is it that IE just seems to have more bugs/fixes because more people use it than any other browser so you hear about all that stuff and more often. Whereas with opera and moz you dont hear about fixes as much because its not as well known?? (hope i explained that clearly).

I guess im just trying to come to some kind of a conclusion as to whether or not installing another piece of software (Browser) on my computer and then have to patch/update and maintain it. Or just try keeping the one im using patched and locked up as tight as i can (with more software) without having two browsers on my machine..

Thoughts...Comments....
    Sorry to ramble on...

Phazor

23. crockett

Hi Phazor;

As regards Opera and Cydoor, please follow this link
    http://www.opera.com/privacy/adinfo.html

Opera won't slow down your system, so don't be afraid to give it a try.

Many of your questions are already answered in this present link's previous posts or in this second one:
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=2919

Feel free to report on your future Opera experience...

24. Tinribs

Just in case you didnt know, the acclaimed Orbit skin for Mozilla is now available for Opera!!! Looks good too, comes with 2 different settings, I use it and love it.

view: http://www.deskmod.com/?show=showcat&cat_name=opera

Note from FanJ:
    The direct download link was removed by me.
    Please post no links that gives you a direct download; thanks ;) .
    The other link gives you the opportunity to get to the page from where to download it.
    Best regards, Jan.

25. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Phazor. I use the free version of Opera.The banner ads don't bother me.Crockett urged me to try Opera,and I am glad that I did.It is more versatile than IE6,and fairly easy to run after a little bit of practice.I prefer programs that run easily "out of the box".I have noticed that Supercleaner doesn't find much to clean from Opera after surfing.IE6 racks up a lot more internet history garbage to clean.I also found that security settings are a lot easier to set up in Opera.I've been using it a lot more than IE6 and I haven't any problems to date.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.