Opera 23 adds new options to heart button, promises improved stability

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

2. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Thanks for the heads-up.

To my liking they're very slow in implementation of new features but at least each new build is stable and fast. I recall old Presto Opera where the most of stable builds were really crappy but no wonder because of a complexity of old Presto Opera.

I for one give thumbs up for Opera Chromium. :)

3. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

I much prefer the older Presto version. The new chromium version is just another dumbed down browser that gives the user limited control over the browsing experience. The Presto version was a power browser for users who knew how to use it and understood the web and how it works. I've never had any stability issues with the older presto version and used just about every version that came out since 2004. I'm still using the last Presto version and will continue to use it in preference to the chromium version.

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

@ MisterB

Well said. I also think that the new Opera is a joke. I´m planning to stay with Opera v12 for as long as I can. ;)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  5. pegas

pegas Registered Member

np folks :) The main problem of all Opera Presto users is that they can't or don't want to admit yourself that Opera Chromium isn't focused on power browser users, simply from its nature. The new Opera aims at ordinary browser users, what is the majority, and gives them an alternative to other Chromium browsers.

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Just let Opera die, so I can remember the good times. The time when I had dialup, there was no FF, and Opera was at least 10x faster than IE loading pages.

The new version reminds me of 'Weekend at Bernie's'. They too are just dragging around a dead body.

7. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Well I wouldn´t want to see Opera die, when I must use a Chromium based browser, I still prefer it to crappy Chrome.

And LOL @ Weekend at Bernie's, I loved that movie, I haven´t seen it for a long time. :)

8. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

I realize that most users aren't power users but that doesn't apply to Wilder's members.

The old Opera had a lot of dedicated users who liked it precisely because of its power. By changing it so radically, they've alienated that hardcore base and made an appeal to the masses with yet another Chromium clone. Opera could die because of this, the field of chromium browsers for the masses is crowded and competitive and I don't really see anything in the new Opera that distinguishes it.

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I use the new Opera and Maxthon a lot and generally as my primary browsers. The new opera is a VERY easy to use and stable browser. The whole issue with bookmarks was never an issue for the people whose computers I installed it on - they were not accustomed to bookmarks and found Stash a far easier and accessible option. Those people are very satisfied with Opera. As for me, speedy, stable, fast and has most of the features I need, so I now use it as the backup after Maxthon.

10. pegas

pegas Registered Member

+1 :thumb:

11. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Agreed. Prefer Opera over both Firefox and Chrome.

12. pegas

pegas Registered Member

One of the things that is unjustly neglected but makes this browser exceptional is the mouse gestures which work flawlessly. You don't find any other browser being on par with Opera in this respect. Fortunately it was inherited from the old Presto.

13. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I'd punch the guy who got rid of Bookmarks in Opera. Idiot!

14. pegas

pegas Registered Member

And what if it was a woman?:D

15. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I'd get a gf to do it. jk

16. pegas

pegas Registered Member

As I say, one must be able to handle any situation :argh:

17. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I tried to change the default search engine, but you can only set 1 of the 5 built-in engines(Google, Yahoo, Bing, Amazon, Wikipedia) as default.
    It is possible to manually add other search engines, but there seems to be no way to set them as default :S

18. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Relax, it's back in developer version!

19. BoerenkoolMetWorst

20. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

21. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Does this mean Bookmarks will be in 25 final? If so fine, but why were they such ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ and waited ~10 versions to put Bookmarks back?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2014
  22. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

23. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

If it's stable and polished enough, yes. But I'd take a tip on O26 instead.

24. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

the bookmarks are back but only kind of. imo they need a lot of work. in fact im using opera 25 now and its FAST. imo may be the fastest currently every day use wise. im not a fan of stash myself. i want the real bookmarks back. the new bookmarks manager is ehhh. its decent at best but at least it is there. the bad part is there are ZERO options for it. and the view as a list instead of the HUGE icons they are for whatever using does not work properly. when you set it to a list view the names of the sites are covered by the stupid colors of the icons they had in the tile view.

i did not like the fact that when i installed opera 25 dev it automatically pulled ALL my bookmarks, passwords, history etc etc from firefox. i did not want those all to be in opera and i see no way to disable that during the install.

i need some bookmarks options back though before this could be my main browser. and i want a button for bookmarks and not have to open a new tab, click bookmarks, go to the folder, open that, then find what i want in the tile list. give me a drop down button like in ie and firefox and i would be a happy camper. a few sites do not display properly is the only other thing but that seems to be the nature of opera.

25. BoerenkoolMetWorst

Annoying, I think it still was an option when I installed the new Opera for the first time(around v16/17.) Did you have a master PW on those pulled passwords?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.