Opera 15

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by blacknight, Jul 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ance

ance formerly: fmon

I don't like Opera 15, I prefer the original (Chrome). :) I think it will be the end of Opera ...

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

What I find interesting is, because Opera is now more or less a Chrome clone, will this make it more popular or less?

It may actually appeal to Chrome/Chrome-clone users.

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

It's actually a good alternative to Chrome for less savvy users. It's lightning fast, too.

The only problem is, there are browsers doing more at the moment. For example, someone who wants a Chrome clone can try something like Sleipnir which has lots of integrated features and more upcoming soon.

4. Daveski17

I haven't used Sleipnir since back when it had dual Gecko/IE. I think if Opera could get some of the functionality of Sleipnir & Maxthon it would appeal more. Of course, whether that would slow it down somewhat is a moot point.

5. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Anytime anyone I've ever talked to has desired a "Chrome clone", it's been for privacy reasons. They've had no issue with Chrome itself, just Google. However, Opera in its current state can't even be considered a clone, regardless of the same "blank slate" UI and lack of settings.

6. Daveski17

How would you define it then? It seems closer to Chrome to me than when it had Presto. I'm not sure what you mean. I may be using the term 'clone' a little loosely. Although O15 is using Blink as opposed to Chromium as its rendering engine though I suppose.

7. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

On my pc Opera 15 is fast as Chrome, the only thing that I appreciate, and certainly it will give more privacy than Chrome.
    I tried Sleipnir, but it didn't keep in memory my settings.

8. Daveski17

I have a feeling the last time I used Sleipnir (on Vista) it would not save my bookmarks. I haven't tried it on Win 7 yet.

9. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

LOL, I´ve checked it out on my old Windows XP box, what a joke! :gack:

High CPU usage, it´s using lots of RAM, hardly any configuration options. o_O

They still got a lot of work to do. For now Opera is dead, luckily v11 is working just fine.

10. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Haha you should have read a few bits in this thread before trying it out :D ;)

11. blacknight

sleipnir 4.3.1

Modifications
    - Default URLs registered to Customize by each site updated
    - Blink version updated (Chrome/28.0.1500.72)
    - Fixed Problems
    - Application sometimes not responding when certain sites are being viewed in IE10 mode fixed
    - Further fixes made to certain bookmarks not being displayed when the bookmarks panel folders are expanded issue
    - Other minor issues fixed

12. Daveski17

OK thanks. I may give it a spin again one day. I have a feeling it could have been a 'Vista' thing. On my Win 7 PC Maxthon works perfectly. But on my Vista notebook it works fine for a bit then blanks any customisations back to vanilla. I get around this by running the portable version from my C-Drive in a folder I made for it.

13. blacknight

I didn't know that it had a portable version, thank you.

14. Daveski17

I'm actually using the PortableApps version. Maxthon has its own portable as well.

15. The_1337

The_1337 Registered Member

16. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

using opera 17 now. its improving but still a LONG way to go, they brought back the home page but no home page button you still have to access it through the strat page but it will start up on that page. and there is a bookmarks add on its not great but its there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.