Opera 15

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by blacknight, Jul 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Sorry about the link, I haven't tried the Bookmark Manager extension. I never really used bookmarks with Opera to be honest as the speed dial did what I needed. So at the moment it kind of suits me. I think that they will bring traditional bookmarks back however. It seems to be the main stumbling block to people changing to O15.

2. Daveski17

Well, it seems that the 15.0.1147.130 update has fixed the PDF problem. I have now uninstalled the buggy Foxit extension & can use my native PDF reader. :)

3. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

I installed Opera 15 to its own folder.

I've added the site extension since the new Opera lacks a home button like in the Presto version. It works well.

4. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Yandex - the Russian browser is a mix of Webkit, Chromium and Opera:

Yandex browser is made possible by WebKit, Chromium open source project, Opera Turbo and other software. :thumb:

5. Daveski17

I just use the 'Speed Dial' icon as a homepage button. More or less like I used to on Opera 12.

6. Daveski17

I am determined to keep extensions to a minimum & are mainly for security (ABP, WOT) but I have decided to install DrWeb. This now acts as a tracking blocker as well as a link scanner.

DrWeb never worked on Opera 12! It works on Opera 15. :)

7. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

Ok, I've played around with it some more. It still feels dumbed down compared to earlier versions of Opera and current versions of Firefox, Seamonkey, Safari and a few others. It is fast. It works in Xp. I've installed the following extensions: Bookmark Manager, Adblock Plus, IP Address and Domain Information, DrWeb and Site Home. As suspected, Youtube works great in it. I won't use it as my main browser anytime soon. I use a variety of browsers and I tend to use each browser for certain websites. Opera 12 is used for Wilders, Google News, GOTD, The New York Times, a few other sites and some casual surfing. I'm not going to change that anytime soon. I still use Opera 9 for some sites even though it is incompatible with a lot of sites. It works great with most vBulletin forums. I also use it for most of my casual surfing and will use Opera 12 if a site is compatible with Opera 9. Firefox is reserved for email and business sites where I do money transactions and I never use it for surfing unknown sites. I occasionally use Seamonkey for sites that won't work in Opera. I was using the Windows version of Safari for Youtube but Opera 15 just might take it's place. For a variety of reasons, I don't like Chrome but Opera 15 feels like a reasonable chromium substitute.

I will give it the Facebook test soon. Facebook has been a troublesome site for me--especially in Windows Xp. It works fine in Firefox but in Safari, there is constant and annoying hard disk access and in other browsers it has caused excessive CPU usage.

8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

OMG, I can´t believe how many complete idiots get hired as webdevelopers nowadays. :gack:

Facebook is slow as hell on my 7 years old PC, no matter what browser I use. It´s because of the extensive usage of Javascript, which causes high CPU and RAM usage. They also totally screwed up the new Yahoo Mail, same goes for Gmail.

In my opinion, Javascript together with incompetent/stupid webdevelopers have really screwed up a lot of websites. Just turn of scripting and see how fast websites load. Of course a lot of sites won´t work or display correctly anymore. o_O

9. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Okay, so has anyone figured out how to unlock tabs in this thing? I want to be able to open a new tab and separate it into a new window. Also, I still can't figure out how to resize the browser. It seems to be either full window or minimized to the task bar and that's it. I want to make the windows smaller or larger depending on what I'm looking at.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, that's the problem I had too, I couldn't figure out how to do it, and I do that all the time in Chrome and Firefox. I think it's not possible at the moment. But I'm not sure....

11. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

If it isn't, Opera is a no-go..again. I looked through the settings and I couldn't find anything even related to tab behavior. I wonder if the blog post saying they would release stable versions "every couple of weeks" is true as well. That's cutting testing time awful short, but that's an entirely different discussion. I can deal without bookmarks and a few other missing things, but not being able to resize or separate windows isn't going to cut it for me. Hopefully I've missed something.

12. SweX

SweX Registered Member

So what options do you see if you right-click on a link, no... "open in new tab" "open in new window" And one can't "drag" a tab from the tab-bar drop/release it and it will open up in a new window? :)

13. Daveski17

As far as I can see you can open new tabs, clone tabs, open links in new tab/window etc. You can even manually drag the tabs around to be in a different order.

I didn't even know you could do that with other browsers. ;)

What I like mostly about O15 is that it isn't Chrome.

14. Daveski17

There has already been one update since I have been using it. It did fix the PDF reader for me though.

15. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Nope, you can't drag tabs anywhere but left or right of the other tabs. There is no "dropping and releasing", it doesn't work. There was an unlocking option in the old Opera, but not here. Right-clicking a link doesn't help matters, you're still stuck with a full-screen new window that you can't resize, and who wants to right-click every link they click on anyway?

16. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes I can do all that too, I asked since it felt it was to basic to be missing in any modern browser.

Haha really?, well do I need to mention wich browse I use that can do that :rolleyes: Mr Saffie :D

I'm tempted Dave, really tempted :D

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, unfortunately, this makes it a no-go for me too....

18. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Lol, I'm trying hard to give them a chance and I've honestly looked everywhere I can for these simple options. I totally understand a makeover of the browser needed some things to wait, but come now, this is basic stuff.

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, it is really... I'll come back to it later and see if things change. But for now, I had to move on. :)

20. Daveski17

I'm still surprised that I quite like O15. I have been using it a lot on my notebook. I would have preferred Maxthon but I can only really use the portable versions on the notebook as the C-Drive standard version Mx blanks back to vanilla (after being customised) for some strange reason. The portable is fine (I run it from the C-Drive).

I don't use Opera on my desktop x64 machine, but I may do one day. Maxthon works well on it though. If I'm not in Maxthon on that I'm in SeaMonkey usually.

Give Opera 15 a spin & see what you think.

21. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I see. It may sound weird but I do actually right-click on almost every link I want to open up in a new tab it takes 1 Sec to right-click and choose the right option in the menu :p

Yeah the resizing issue sounds pretty idk wrong...is that really by design, meant to be like that :doubt: :doubt:

Just to try something we talked about in another thread, what happens if you click on the "scroll wheel" on your mouse on a link, does a new tab open up then (that's what happens in other browsers), or does that have some other function in Opera? :)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  22. SweX

SweX Registered Member

One thing I really hate about changing browsers is the bookmarks, they never appear the same way, or in the same order, same places map/bookmarks bar etc.....if/when I were to change to another browser full time.

It's one thing during the testing period then I don't care about the bookmarks, but if I would like to go "all in" on a new browser then it's more work with the bookmarks than it is with the browser settings.

I wish there were some kind of "bookmark standard" in the browser industry that would make changing browsers a seamless process and the bookmarks would appear just the same in all browser, but today that is just not the case.

"Import bookmarks" Yes fine, great idea but it never works as expected. :)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  23. Daveski17

LOL yeah, I know what you mean. On SeaMonkey all of my bookmarks are in folders on the GUI.

24. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Lol, Swex, my issue isn't opening websites in another tab. It's window and tab behavior that is the issue. I can open up new tabs just fine, but I want to separate them and, if necessary, resize them to be bigger or smaller. Sometimes I may have, for instance, 2 or 3 spec sheets for a product open, and I don't want to have to switch between 3 tabs back and forth to compare things. I want three separate windows that I can glance at in one shot. Nor do I want 3 huge pages taking up my entire screen, I need to be able to adjust things depending on what content I'm viewing.

By the way, my scroll wheel click causes Windows to go to the desktop. So no, no browser opens up a new tab in that manner for me.

25. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

At least it isn't Chrome, where you can no longer import bookmarks from Firefox to Chrome without still having Firefox installed. God I hate that, it didn't used to be that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.