Opera 15 Next (Chromium based)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by m00nbl00d, May 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

-http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/opera-next-15-0-released?startidx=300

I gave it a try, and what a disappointment. I know it's a testing version, but heck, it even lacks features that are part of Chromium/Chrome. It's not even that feature rich, to be honest.

As an old Opera user (before switching to Chromium), I used to enjoy all the extra settings I had at my disposal, but with this move Opera just sucks. I do hope they bring the features back... at least those that are already part of Chromium.

So far, besides a Speed Dial (something that was present in Opera already), they bring nothing new, but a renamed Opera Turbo.

I hope the next release start to introduce some settings back. o_O o_O

2. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Yes, it's the dark day for Opera.

A one user summed up it as follows:

- no option to put tabs on the side
    - no sidebar
    - absolutely no option to customize UI/buttons
    - no link
    - do you even have bookmarks at all?!
    - wand doesn't save extra fields (user/pass/save session)
    - no M2!?
    - no notes?!
    - No Personal Information
    - no MDI
    - no custom shortcuts/mouse gestures?
    - no RSS?!?!?!?!?

Comments in the article discussion are really fiery ... Majority of users is really disgusted, my biggest problem is a separate installation of M2 and missing the RSS reader. The rest of things can be refined and I hope so in the next builds.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  3. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

Sessions, Wand, Notes, auto-fill forms (personal information), mouse gestures (and keyboard shortcuts), customizable UI/custom buttons/etc, and RSS reader (M2) is basically why I use Opera and have used it for years.

If they take that away why would I waste time with this piece of crap Chrome clone they call Opera 15?
    (And yes, I'm aware they might add back in some features, but not M2/RSS and that is good enough reason for me to skip it)

I am truly saddened. I will remain with 12.15 for as long as I can (even considering 11.64 is probably superior).

4. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

Noup, no more bookmarks.
    They say that they are focusing on core experience of web browsing. Well, good luck with that.

5. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

The same for me. But didn't they say that they were developing WebKit engine for Opera ? It's the main thing that Opera needs !

6. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

This is WebKit based.

It's detected as Chrome 28.

A custom-made WebKit engine for Opera? I doubt it. They'll just add a butchered Opera UI on top of Chrome and call it a day.

But we shall see, I hope I'm wrong.

EDIT: I missed this "pearl".
    http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/opera-next-15-0-released?startidx=650#comment108214022

So, forget about M2 (or any variation of it) ever coming back to Opera. Why? Because Opera devs are lazy. And their claim that "no one" uses M2 is a flat-out lie. I don't use it for e-mail but I use it "religiously" for RSS feeds.

7. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I'm really sad about this :'(

Opera has always been my favourite browser (and I've tried many) Now I guess I will have to really think hard what else to use. On other machines I have I can use IE10, but on this old xp machine..........

How on earth can you substitute bookmarks with speed dial, what were they thinking when they came up with that crazy idea?

Looks like 12.5 will be the last Opera as we know it.

8. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

opera:config is also dead and settings are very limited :( For example, it doesn't show full URLs unless you click in the URL bar and there is no way to change this.

Rest in Peace, Opera :'(

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

If they just make a chromium clone, why one should use Opera instead of Chrome/ Chromium?

Seems they are digging a grave for Opera very fast. It was the best browser for me since long. Sad indeed.

10. m00nbl00d

While one can argue whether or not it's/was a good idea, there would be a point in using Opera provided that if had/has to offer more than Chromium/Chrome has to offer.

For instance, if Opera provides the same settings that Chromium already has, plus a native anti-ad/tracking* feature, it would already an alternative to Chromium for me. * Different from their urlfilter.ini file, though. More in the line of IE Tracking Protection Lists, but more efficient (without their limitations) and the option to have local files as the sources. This would already something that would get my attention, and a browser I would deploy to relatives, etc.

Unless they add Chromium settings to it, and more... I agree, they're digging their own grave. :(

If it's to clone something, then make it better, not worse. :argh:

11. Improvements to Chrome allready

a) speeddial plus google search
    b) streaming news feeds (discover)

Coming :)

a) more settings
    b) badge madge (putting badges on websites for content filtering, security, safe/secure connections)

I will give my previous favourite browser a chance, they applied better architecture principles until chrome came into play, let's hope they will add something and provide an improved version of Chrome (like M00NBL00D mentioned)

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I will reserve judgement until a final is out bit it does not look good.
    I use opera because of the integrated mail and the other intergrated features such as tab stacks,opera link, session saving, ability to open up lots of tabs without using alot of memory and staying stable etc.
    I have tryed other browsers and to get near the same functions I require multiple addons which all look different and can make the whole browser look disjointed.

the current build is just chrome with an opera logo. opera should of added at least some of the opera features before showing the public.

13. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

+1, I agree

14. SloppyHack

SloppyHack Registered Member

there are a few browsers who use the webkit engine and get picked up as chrome, doesn't mean they are chrome though.

Maxthon is a prime example, it uses webkit and trident engines and has more options than any of the other browsers, including old opera, even browser n desktop sidebars and bookmarks and is the number 1 html5 browser the last i checked the scoring on http://html5test.com even beating latest chrome.

motto being, the engine doesn't make the browser, they just need to build the UI n options after the core is finished.

15. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

there goes one of the best of all time. i dont use chrome and dont like it so for me this is a no go. i did try it. uses a boatload of ram. i had only wilders open in one tab with nothing else and it had around 8-9 processes

16. HAN

HAN Registered Member

IMO, the earlier versions of Opera were always an acquired taste (which meant different but not necessarily bad.) It wasn't for me but I could see what others might see.

But it seems to me that they have an insatiable quest to be "different". Example... Unite. Even if a user wanted no part of Unite, they forced elements of Unite to be installed anyway. (Windows firewall tampering being the biggie.) At this point, they were, IMO, becoming highly misguided.

With this history in mind, if they truly believe bookmarks are a thing of the past, they have, IMO, totally lost it.

17. zfactor

one reason i hate chrome is the lack of easy access to bookmarks without a add on. i want traditional bookmarks .... they have lost their minds if they think that

18. kupo

kupo Registered Member

In this thread people reacting to a RELEASE PREVIEW of Opera, a FIRST BUILD for it's webkit engine, of course it wouldn't be complete yet. It is a ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ RELEASE PREVIEW o_O

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2013
  19. zfactor

ill believe it when i see it. so far no one has been able to add the old features to chrome and i doubt opera will be able to make this what it used to be. ill watch it and test new releases but im not at all holding my breath

20. Improvements to Chrome allready

a) speeddial plus google search
    b) streaming news feeds (discover)
    c) easy bookmarks with stash

EDIT

21. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

They already told us that bookmarks and M2 (e-mail/RSS) are gone and won't be coming back.

So, you were saying?

:rolleyes:

22. m00nbl00d

No need to be so defensive and offensive because of a web browser/other app. Some are only expressing their disappointment with a browser that, for whatever reason, the developers decided to first kill useful features that are already part of Chromium, which means that current Chromium/Chrome users see no reason to even test this web browser for the time being (I know I won't!), and I don't know what the developers think, but as far as I am concerned, this means less users testing the web browser and giving feedback to improve it. Their loss, not mine. Then, they should have thought this all transition process a lot better, and the first release preview should already include the features already familiar to previous Opera users as well.

They rushed the first release preview, IMHO. Not to mention, for someone quite used to how Chromium settings are displayed, Opera sucks big time. I don't know why they decided to change the settings display. To be different? Well, they sure are different. lol

23. pegas

pegas Registered Member

24. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

Not gonna happened, because M2 depends on Presto.

25. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

Last edited: May 29, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.