Opera 12

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ellison64, Sep 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I must admit i am pleasantly suprised with opera 12.Adblock works,ghostery works,global zoom works even sticky passwords work :eek: .Im quietly getting fed up with firefox ,and opera seems to fit the bill for a new browser.Any one using it lately?

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Not using it yet but I've been giving it a long look.

3. ellison64

4. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

5. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

I had an issue with opera 64 bit extensions disappearing from the upper right hand corner and not working (even thou it says they are enabled). I've noticed that the problem comes whenever you install flash or whenever you disable Java. I posted this problem here: http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=1526162 and here http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=1529392 and got almost zero help. I got fed up and I switched to chrome 32. And although opera 64 was about 30% - 500%* faster than chrome, I like the stability more.
    *There is a weird slow down with opening new tabs in my chrome. Sometimes it takes 30-45 seconds.

6. ellison64

Ill keep an eye on that ,i have ghostery adblock and sticky passwords and they seem ok at the moment although i have found a possible bug with sticky password extension and opera.I installed ghostery and adblock on a friends old xp computer the other day and noticed that with the "side panels" showing that the icons were off the right hand side of the screen ,however the monitor was the old square type rather than wide screen.I dunno whether opera has a problem with screen displays? or resolution.

7. jo3blac1

It wasn't a problem with displaying of extensions as more of a problem of extensions not working after awhile and disappearing from the upper right corner. I wouldn't mind them just disappearing while they still work in the background.

I did at least 20 different test and 2 full windows restores with installation of opera on a clean OS*. If Opera was installed before flash then extensions would stop working. If flash was installed first and opera after than then things would work as long as you had Java enabled. The need for having Java scripts always enabled was a deal-breaker to me. Opera doesn't sandbox anything so this would have been really bad for system security. So chrome seemed like an obvious choice and on a fresh install chrome works really nice and it seems much more mature browser than Opera.

I don't know it seems like I have bad luck with Opera, I have been trying to use this browser at least 5 times on and off since it first came out and every time there is some kind of problem.

What was really disheartening was almost zero support on their forums. Seems like it's a wasteland out there. Almost like Buferzone...

8. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Opera is a browser very nice, safe and rich of features. Many of us is saying it here from a long time. :)

9. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

I tried Opera 64 bit a few weeks ago and found it to be real slow on my W7 64. Soon got rid of it. A lot slower than Chrome is for me with a bunch of extensions..

10. jo3blac1

funny cause I have opposite effect on my 64 bit Windows 7. care to share the specs?

Thinkpad x120e
    1.5 ghz amd fussion single core
    6GB RAM
    64GB SSD

11. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

I just switched from Chrome to Opera running on/under Windows 7 x64, and I have noticed NO difference in speed between the two browsers... :)

12. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! Have been using Opera for the last three months...very impressed...got rid of a bug riddled Firefox. Sincerely...Securon

13. jo3blac1

of course you won't. you probably have a different set up than mine! what is your CPU speed?

14. worgeordie

worgeordie Registered Member

Been using Opera for a few years now, does everything I want,especially the
    Speed Dial, Magic wand for passwords, no problems,why should I change.
    regards Worgeordie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.