Opera 12.13

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

It's...buggy as hell, Dave :D That's typical Opera these days, it'll run fine for a bit and then trouble starts. Re-install it, rinse, repeat. Some things are their fault, some, like problems with websites that are/were created with a specific browser/browsers in mind, are not. One thing is clear enough though, no matter where the faults lie, enough users suffer the consequences and little changes in how Opera behaves and performs. That's of course my take on Opera, but I'm obviously not alone in that opinion.

I usually hate any thought of being behind on updates, but in the case of Opera I'd happily stay with v11 if it weren't for the major craters in its security.

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yeah well, Opera's always had bugs. So far I'm not having any real problems. Apart from the repeating crash-cycle on my notebook. It happened right after an extension update as well, which makes me think that it was possibly that. It seems fine now.

Looks like I'm keeping Firefox (with an Opera theme) as my default browser for a tad longer ... just in case. ;)

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I had it crash on me once the first day... still slow as heck compared to the others... something I can't explain, but it's annoying enough to make me not want to use it..

4. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Because it's just a maintenance release.

Heck people, it's a 12.1x release, not even 12.x. The changes are going to be minor, I find it hard to believe that they are causing your issues.

5. Daveski17

I've had more problems in the past with previous versions than with 12.13. Apart from the crashing episode the clean install seems fine. Problems are nothing new for Opera though.

6. Daveski17

I'm inclined to agree, I don't believe that there have been huge changes.

7. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

Apparently 2 fixes for a 'significant' portion of crashes..

Disable automatic update.

Follow instructions in this thread;
    http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=1613752

Still won't fix the nonsense with Ebay and other websites, which will drive Opera to 50%+ CPU until it crashes.. Have to wait for the muppets to fix that.. I am back to Chromium for now, I can't handle these 'works great' 'broken' patch cycles, they need some version control.

8. Daveski17

I wonder what proportion of people are getting problems compared to those that aren't? I'll wager that Chrome & Firefox have proportionally similar problems & whinging punters when they update. On my three computers, Opera 12.13 has only crashed on one of them, & a clean install has fixed that. I still believe that an extension update precipitated the crashing. It was fine until the update flagged above the systems tray.

9. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Unfortunately, after upgrading to Opera 12.13 all my bookmarks were gone (had backup, but that's no excuse for Opera). I'm sure that it was an isolated issue, because I didn't hear others having this issue.
    Also, Opera keeps on NOT honouring cookie settings per site, and this bug persists since v10. Same for not fully erasing cookies when deleting them manually.
    Given these problems and their persistence, I decided to uninstall Opera :( It's a pity, because it's a very configurable and powerful browser...

10. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Hmm, maintenance, probably something that shouldn't cause more issues than there were before, right? :D Only Opera can pull off consistently breaking things by fixing things. I'm finding it more and more difficult to keep rooting for them, as much as I honest to God really want to keep doing so. Trust me, Opera 13 will have the same bookmark problems, the same cookie problems, the same rendering problems as previous versions. I want to be proven wrong, I just don't think I will. Opera has just lost its way for some reason that nobody outside of Opera ASA knows about. Just my two pennies, back to discussing the topic at hand.

11. moontan

moontan Registered Member

tried it tonight.

the fonts do not look great if you look at Ars Technica for example.
    that's compared to Firefox.

any tips on how to get better looking fonts, if that's possible?

12. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

I don't know what to say besides the usual I'm not experiencing any of these issues... and because of that, I can't share your feelings about Opera ASA and Opera's development. As for rendering issues, the websites you said that didn't work right in Opera load 100% fine here (as I said in another thread)... very weird.

13. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

No problems with the Linux versions here at all, stable for me.
    Wild Hunter also says nada troubles. Strange indeed.

14. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I have no troubles at all with version 12.13, believe it or not....:doubt:

I do have a bugbear with gmail's new compose box not working correctly for attachments, but that has persisted since 12.12. I do wish Google tested their code with Opera as well, anything new in Google's sites seems to always cause annoyances with Opera! :(

15. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

Some sites simply do not work with Opera, period.

Greenmangaming login doesn't work with Opera, for example. A few other sites I can't remember, a nuisance nonetheless.

16. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Is Opera really at fault for such sites?

BTW, greenmangaming works fine on Opera here.....unless you're talking about specific functions, I wouldn't know about that yet.

17. Daveski17

Opera has always mangled or broken some pages. Luckily, for me it is not a real problem.

18. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

19. pegas

pegas Registered Member

20. Daveski17

I had a feeling that it was due to extension updates as well.

21. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Never had problems with Opera versions. :)

22. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Awesome :) Believe me, I don't want it to have problems, it just does. A lot of it has to do with websites, yes, and no, it isn't always the fault of Opera. Many times rendering issues aren't, but the fact that they do occur makes it difficult to keep Opera as a main browser. Other issues like the ignoring of cookie settings and some other bugs are the fault of Opera and haven't been fixed in version after version, and they too make it difficult to use or recommend Opera. My comments aren't meant to condemn Opera to the fiery flames of Hell or take a leak in anybody's cereal, they're simple observations and frustrations in my own experience and going by plentiful amounts of user complaints in the Opera forums I'm not the sole sufferer.

23. Daveski17

24. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.