Opera 12.10 released

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by BoerenkoolMetWorst, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Installed and working well :)

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

4. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I installed it but cannot find the operadef6.ini file where I can change my paths/profiles to a partition other than C:\

That file in my older version has this string:

Code:
    Multi User=0   ; If enabled Opera will use Windows profiles to store individual user settings
    Does someone know how to change profiles/paths in this newer version?

Thanks,

-rich

5. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

That file should be in "C:\Program Files\Opera". In v10 it's named operaprefs_default.ini.

6. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I found that file and added the above-mentioned string but the paths did not change.

----
    rich

7. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

8. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Hi Rmus, you can try this also:
    You can add to "operaprefs_default.ini" file (in Opera program folder):

Opera Directory=D:\<YourPath>\Opera\%username%
    Opera Local Directory=D:\<YourPath>\Opera\%username%

Local Directory - is where cache and mail is at.
    Opera Directory - is where all your preferences, contacts and passwords are at.

9. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Thanks, majoMo, that took care of everything except the operaprefs.ini file, which remains on C:\

I looked there, hoping to find a path for the operaprefs.ini file, but no such luck.

Many versions ago, the installation dialog box gave you the option to designate the location of your "profile" directory, and all Opera directories and *.ini files went to that location.

With Opera 9, this option ceased on installation, and the user was required to insert the string in the *.ini file I mentioned in my first post, and that took care of everything.

Now, with Opera 12, the user has lost the ability to have complete control over everything (unless I've missed something).

I'm actually content with Opera 9 except that some sites with newer code don't render well in Opera 9, so the need to upgrade change to a newer version.

----
    rich

10. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Also available in an Opera X64 bit version

11. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

User Profile customized

You are right. It seems that is needed to Opera to manage/know user preferences, must have such file there. Other than this, no annoyances when user wants their user files in another partition.
    Since I use ever Opera sandboxed with SandboxIE and with Toolwiz Time Freeze in 'Frozen Mode', I'm using: a) 'Opera Directory' (Application Data folder) with 'Direct Acess' in SandboxIE settings; b) same folder moved to D:\ partition, with a junction in Application Data folder to allow user data to be kept when in 'Frozen Mode' (Toolwiz Time Freeze).

BTW, noticed that in this latest version 'cut down the time it takes for a webpage to load' is working like a charm here in fact. :thumb:

12. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Re: User Profile customized

This is something new, because in my Opera v.9, that file resides nicely on my D:\ partition.

----
    rich

13. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I wish Opera would pick up the pace in cold start-up, loading heavier pages and doing better with ad-blocking capability. I've mostly found ad-blocking in Opera to have the opposite effect of what should be happening, which is speeding up page loading because you're not loading all the 3rd party crap. Instead I usually see an almost never ending circle spinning around as the page keeps on taking its sweet time loading all the content. They've got to do better with security as well. I think Opera is a good company and has the ability to move beyond a ((in a marketing sense)) tiny percentage of users. But as far as security goes, they are woefully behind the competition.

14. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

I think your 'operaprefs.ini' can be in D:\ partition; however it needs to stay in C:\ also. If not I think another Opera instance process could come out.
    ► When Opera starts up, it will normally look for the user file in the profile directory, but the location can also be specified from the command line:
    create a shortcut with this commandline (of course, using your chosen locations):
    "C:\Program files\Opera\opera.exe" /settings "{path to profile folder}\operaprefs.ini"
    ► 'OperaDef6.ini' changed to 'operaprefs_default.ini', in 10.0x and later release versions. Info.

15. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Interesting!

My v.9 has no Opera directory on C:\. The "mulituser = 0" string I mentioned earlier changed all the profiles stuff to the new location. I notice that there is no longer any "Profiles" directory created when Opera 12 installs.

Thanks for the other information about a commandline in the shortcut. I'll install v.12 again later and try that!

BTW, my reason for changing location is that my C:\ is frozen with Deep Freeze. DF does have suggestions for remapping Profiles, but I've not been inclined to do that.

Most of my programs where I change things permit the configuration/preferences stuff to be located anywhere you designate. Opera was this way, through v. 9 anyway!

I noticed how you handle this -- seems like a lot of bother, more than I would want to do!

I would have switched to another browser, but none offer the flexibilty the Opera does, especially with single-key shortcuts and custom configuration of the several *.ini files.

I didn't do any comparison. With my cable connection, page loading is almost instant. I'll do some checking later.

----
    rich

16. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Hi Mman79,

can you elaborate on that?

thanks,

----
    rich

17. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Certainly. I based my opinion on seeing Opera start to lag behind in implementing features such as plugin separation, which it now does do thankfully. Opera security extensions still seem to be rather weak as well ((perhaps due to the same API pains Chrome originally had?)). It needs protective measures the likes of which are provided by both IE and Chrome. Plugin separation is just fine, I'm glad it exists. But that no longer cuts it, especially when there is no backup in the form of extra security measures or stronger extension capability.

18. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I don't use extensions, so I haven't followed this at all.

To educate myself, I found this paper:

Protecting Browsers from Extension Vulnerabilities
    http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~afelt/secureextensions.pdf
    I searched in vain for examples of exploits in the wild. Are you aware of any?

I did find a reference to an exploit some years ago on a gaming site that targeted some rogue gaming extension.

While one must always be alert to possible vulnerabilities, I wonder if the threat level is all that high.

As far as "plug-in separation" -- I'm not sure what you are referring to. A search just brought up the fact the plug-ins are add-ons to the browser, such as Java and Flash and PDF, and are separated:

Plug-in (computing)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug-in_(computing)
    Is there something else involved in the "separation" you refer to?

thanks,

----
    rich

19. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I'm not aware of any current exploits out in the wild, no. The old "security by obscurity" seems to work well for Opera. Being that many hackers themselves use it might help as well. The separation of plugins I was talking about is basically putting them in their own process. This way, if a plugin goes down it isn't supposed to take the browser down with it. It's more about stability than security though since there is no tab isolation like there is in Chrome ((where if a plugin goes down or is exploited in one tab, it won't effect any other tabs open but that one.)). Firefox has little more than this, but the important thing about Firefox is that its extension abilities aren't crippled by a restrictive API or some other issue. That's of course a blessing and a curse in Firefox, as the more power an extension has to do something, the greater the chance that it can be abused. But, it also means that extensions like NoScript have greater control and can be more effective. I've not seen this ability in Opera and, combining weak extensions, a more stability-related feature like plugin separation and almost nothing else for security measures leaves Opera the underdog in my opinion.

20. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Gotta agree with you Mman79.

21. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I also agree with this conclusion.

----
    rich

22. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I just wish I had a better security-minded current opinion of the browser. Opera Software is well known for their innovation and could never be accused of having no creativity. I suppose some of my respect and love for the browser and the company comes from nostalgia, as I used it quite a bit in its early history and have followed it since, occasionally using it as my sole browser. But, performance issues have been a problem for a long time and, of course, security has lagged behind too much. There is so much potential there though, if Opera Software would try to move it beyond its limited borders ((Which is a mystery all its own.)) and work on security and performance in the current environment of very heavy, content-crammed websites.

I do wish I understood why Opera has such an issue gaining users, or even why I can surf the Internet without a hint being made of the browser via article or ad unless I specifically hunted for it.

23. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Thanks again for that tip. (Where did you learn that syntax?)

I just reinstalled v. 12.1 and using that commandline, Opera does indeed find the specified location for the preferences file.

(Now I've got to reconfigure my keyboard.ini file with my single-key shortcuts and set up Speed Dial!)

About comparing speed: with flushed caches, I see no difference between v. 9 and v. 12.1 in loading my "slowest" regularly-viewed site that loads lots of scripts and stuff. Again, with my Cable connection, everything is so fast that any differences are negligible.

regards,

----
    rich

24. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

25. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Thanks, majoMo!

----
    rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.