Opera 12.00 beta1

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by blacknight, Apr 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2012
  2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

3. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

4. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Nice to know that. :thumb:

Are you trying x32 bits or x64 bits version?

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

6. That is excellent news, glad they are eliminating all the trash. I am looking forward to Opera 12 final.

7. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I'd like to try the 64 bit version eventually. I'll wait until the stable release however.

8. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

x32 bits .

9. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Thanks blacknight! I´m waiting Opera 12 final [x64] - and some feedback, x64 performance about.

10. moontan

moontan Registered Member

indeed.

maybe they could get rid of the torrent module.
    it's not that great anyway.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I like having a torrent client in opera. I only need a basic basic torrent client for downloading linux distros and game clients. I dont wanna have to download a torrent client just for such a basic use.

12. elapsed

LOL. Perfect example of how bloat happens.

You think something like a browser, a front door to the hostilities of the web that needs to be reinforced for security, should include torrenting code inside it, just because you're too lazy to spend a minute downloading a client? Does that really make you feel secure?

There are some seriously tiny clients out there, search, it won't kill you.

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

all browsers have download managers and a torrent is just a downloadable file so I dont really see what difference a torrent client makes in a browser.
    I like the fact that opera has features. other browsers are just to basic by standard and need extensions to do the simplest things. Native is better than addon IMHO. alot of problems with other browsers are because of extensions.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  14. elapsed

lodore, torrent clients are a little more complex than download managers... UPnP support for a start would be one thing an exploit would love to abuse, yeah, place that in a browser, great idea!

Hasn't caused any security issues? You actually think because no one is bothering to look for them that they don't exist? I guess OSX had no security issues until it gained market share, right?

Other browsers know what a browser should do. :) I also like how you call them basic, considering Opera is only now playing catch-up with hardware acceleration and a 64bit build, well done for them!

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I know they are more complicated than download managers. talking about apple and osx is way offtopic.

As far as im aware you cant save a tab session without an extension with chrome. im not sure if there is a a addon for internet explorer that provides that. firefox also has poor tab session management. Firefox sometimes forgets to save tabs when closing. There are other things i take for granted in opera that other browsers require use of addons for but im not sure what atm.

Firefox only has unoffical 64bit builds. I dont think chrome has offical 64bit build eiether. So internet explorer seems to be the only browser with 64bit official build so opera is far from out of date compared to other browsers.
    Im not completely convinced the benefits of 64bit browser are worth it. I would rather opera release hardware acceleration when it is ready than before. other browsers have had issues with it.

16. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Opera has been continually playing catch up for years now, which is a shame as they were once on top of their game. Getting rid of some of this bloat though might be signaling a change. They spent more time on features and not enough on stability and making sure what they did have worked well. I agree with Funky in that a torrent client has no business whatsoever in a browser, nor did Unite. The widget idea was an okay at best idea that was implemented terribly.

As far as 64 bit goes, both in who has it and security, Opera wasn't that far behind in a compatible build, as IE I believe is the only one that has a fully supported 64 bit browser version. As far as security, the benefits are there, no doubt. A little extra speed is just some tasty icing (though to be honest, it's rarely noticeable).

17. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

There isn't much need for a torrent client in a browser. I can sorta see the reasoning, but I'd rather keep it separate. uTorrent is an incredibly small client.

18. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I'm not even going to mention the favicon disappearing bug. o_O ;)

I'm pretty sure the 64 bit Opera is not too far away. I'm looking forward to giving it a spin (I'll leave the beta for the meanwhile). I can't see it replacing Waterfox for me though. It would be nice to have a fully supported 64 bit browser that isn't IE 9.

19. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I might take a look also.

20. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Can someone else that are using x64 version (v. 12 beta), to confirm if extensions are now running as a separate process? If so without annoyances?

I'm thinking in the excelent extension "Opera AdBlock", particularly. :thumb:

Thanks in advance.

21. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

They really reinvented the web with Unite.

22. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Good to see the focus on extensions. Only realised the other day they have a dedicated adblock extension.

https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/opera-adblock/

Quite a few good ones being added:
    https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/?order=popular

One other thing, anyone else noticed the mouse gestures by default? How you can hold down the right mouse button, and by sliding your mouse left/right, you can go forward and back? Right mouse button + sliding mouse down opens new tab.

Right mouse button and scroll wheel scrolls through the tabs with tab previews. Nice touch!

Last edited: May 5, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.