Opera 11 beta for linux. I'm impressed.

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by steve161, Dec 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Ditched 10 because of what I perceived as a serious regression in the font rendering (a real pet peeve of mine), but the fonts for the beta look great in Lucid. Fast and solid so far. On another note, the extensions are not quite there yet as I found the adblock extension, among others, somewhat buggy. Thank you opera fanboy for your lists. Your thoughts?

2. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Yes, it is indeed nice. I don't use any extensions though (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1780253&postcount=26) - find the 'security' ones useless.
    I only use FlashBlock.js which seems to work well also on Opera 11 beta.
    http://my.opera.com/Lex1/blog/flashblock-for-opera-9
    You can add more functionality with custom buttons eg. one for javascript for quick on/off toggle. Check it out plus the other sections. http://operawiki.info/CustomButtons.
    For urlfilter you have the right one. I just use Tamil's urlfilters and find them OK.

Regards

3. apathy

apathy Registered Member

I like Opera 11 beta as well. It starts up quick and is very fast.
    Adding extensions was a great idea. So much competition in the browser wars which is great for the consumer.

4. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

5. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

6. apathy

apathy Registered Member

Opera has all the features and all of the bells and whistles to be my main browser. If the extensions get anywhere near as good as Chrome and Firefox it will be my main browser. The gremlins and vicious knids are ruining Firefox 4 betas, as they haven't improved Firefox just made it a bit speedier.

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Opera as well kept secret as Linux. 11 rocks!

8. steve161

Yikes, my trackpad, which has horizontal scrolling enabled, acts somewhat crazy with Opera. If I touch too low on the pad, the pages move back and forward. Anyone else experience this, and is there a solution? I do not want to disable horizontal scrolling system-wide.

9. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Quite a few have this problem. I experienced it on my old CentOS laptop, and disabled fixed horizontal scrolling as follows:-
    Go to Tools>Preferences>Advanced>Shortcuts and edit the Mouse setup. I deleted Button 5 and Button 6 (could be Buttons 6 and 7 now). Please make a backup of the profile folder.
    Let us know if it works for you.

Regards.

Edit: The buttons are the scroll left and scroll right ones.
    Edit: Hey, I don't see those Button entries anymore in Opera on my CentOS laptop. Maybe just untick 'enable mouse gestures' and see what gives.

Found this: o_O

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  10. steve161

Hi Ocky: Just saw this now, thank you for the suggestions. I tried disabling mouse gestures to no avail. But I will try the other suggestions and post back if they were successful. The holiday season is killing me. I need some sleep.

11. steve161

It seems that the issue was fixed for the final release.

12. apathy

apathy Registered Member

I'm loving Opera 11 but I look forward to the upcoming updates. I like Chromium but just viewing a website spikes my cpu to 60% and up temporarily but Opera it is barely noticeable. They do need more addons for sure.

Opera 11.01 snapshot build: http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.