Opera 11.01 is terrible - Time to uninstall

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by buckshee, Feb 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buckshee

buckshee Registered Member

I am about to uninstall Opera. It loads some web sites very fast but then if I click on a link within a web site it is soooo.... slow much of the time and often only 1/2 loads the requested page and seems to stall. Though it doesn't make sense, I seem to a little have more luck when going from one site to another but often that doesn't work. It seems the problem is that Opera is waiting for a page to fully load - though it appears loaded I think there is background stuff that is still loading so when I request another link it all slows down. My internet speed is 6Mb DSL and I don't have anywhere near the same problems with Firefox - so I have had enough - Bye bye Opera - bye bye

2. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Try to change settings in Opera:

opera_sett.png

By default it is "Redraw after 1 second" - change it to: "Redraw instantly"

3. buckshee

Mine was already set for redraw instantly so that isn't the problem. I thought I'd throw out my concerns in case some-one knows a miracle cure !!!

4. littlebits

littlebits Registered Member

Make sure that you have Turbo disabled, it can cause some sites to load very slowly.

Also your security software maybe causing slow browsing, try disabling web scanning, etc.
    Thanks.:)

5. buckshee

I disabled Avira Webguard and it seemed to speed things up but I like it active as I don't have any other protection other than AVIRA and a firewall. I disabled Proactiv to see if that helps. I don't suppose it affects download speed but it might affect page scanning speeds of Webguard - maybe someone else could answer that but I think we are making progress

6. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i have seen the same type of thing from opera on a few systems. i was never able to get it right no matter what i did. on those systems i either went back to ff or stayed with chrome. i love opera and most of the time its great but with some systems it seems to just not get along. i spent days trying to get it right and never found a real solution

7. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

You could go through this list of things to tweak to speed things up .. http://operawiki.info/OperaPerformance
    Also check Tools>Preferences>Advanced>Network. Max. Connections to Sever and Max. Total Connections. Try 128 for both.

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Your solution is called Google Chrome :rolleyes: (Try Beta and Dev builds)

9. buckshee

Thanks for the tips - I decided to trash Opera nothing seemed to really help. I'll use Firefox 4 or Chrome

10. redgrum

redgrum Registered Member

Settings > Preferences > Advanced > Security Try Un-checking 'Enable Fraud and Malware Protection', if you are already using Avira webguard, maybe the two are not playing nicely?

11. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Don't know why TS has a terrible time:rolleyes: , me running Opera 11.01 fine and fast here ! :D

12. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

+1

Gerard

13. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Thanks for this tip, it really make a difference here! :thumb:

But couldn't this tweak much taxing web servers, in same way as when downloading files? Just wondering.
    And if they made it available in the gui setting, after all... :cool:

14. Criss

Criss Registered Member

Hi,

I can confirm this is a problem with avira webguard. The problem will also occur when u use chrome with avira webguard. U can fix this either by reuqesting a hotfix in the avira forum or setting the max total connnections to 48 in opera. :D

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  15. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Thanks and now we know the truth : AVIRA WEBGUARD is TERRIBLE !!!:ouch:

16. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Now confirmed this to be a noob solution.:p

17. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Who knew you'd pop in to defend Opera? (playful poke, not being serious) I wanted to stop in here because this exact issue was happening to a friend of mine. Once the webguard in Avira was shut off, his Opera worked flawlessly. Another case of too many similar tools fighting each other, instead of working together it seems.

18. Creer

Creer Registered Member

It looks like issue with Avira webguard not only affected Opera browser but also Chrome:
    -http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=126838
    -http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=126654

19. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Personally I am of the opinion that a browser should not be required to be tweaked, turn this on or that off, for it to be reasonably fast. If there are conflicts, that is another story of course.

It is sort of like a car. I expect a motor to have proper plugs and be timed and tuned. It doesn't have to do 0-60 in record time, but it should run well. If I want to get more out of it, I tweak it by modifying fuel mixtures or specialized parts. The tweaking should enhance an already acceptible performance, not be required to get normal performance.

This is one reason why I tend to like simplistic programs and it is what I call "bloat". So many new fang-dangled features that it loses its basic performance -- and other things as well. This doesn't just apply to Opera, or at all. But the mentioning of tweaking an browser to make it work (assuming there is no program conflict) is, to me, unacceptable. It should work well with default settings.

Personally I haven't tried Opera in awhile because I am currently satisfied with Chromiums simplistic browser.

Sul.

20. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

From Avira forum :

Slow internet with Chrome with Webguard enabled
    Sounds like I have the same problem as a few others. Especially with more complex websites (google maps, facebook etc).

Monday, February 7th 2011, 1:09pm

Chrome and Webguard

Hello, I'm using Avira Professional. I installed last version from website but I have a porblem with webguard. Sites are loading too late. When I close webguard it turns back normal.

From Avira Knowledge Base
    --------------------------
    How does WebGuard impact my Internet download speed?
    WebGuard acts like a HTTP proxy and needs to cache some data in order to scan it. After scanning, it delivers data to the browser at full speed.

WebGuard is very fast, so the scanning itself will take very little time.

As a result, you will have almost the same download speed, but it may seem slower because the data comes to the browser with a delay. For the same reason a lot of speed-test sites/programs will turn out to be inaccurate.

Interestingly, the Avira forum moderator, Sebastian, endorses Opera in his signature and this TS cannot use it.o_O

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  21. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

No need to defend Opera here, just laying out the truth against the terrible lies.:p

Great comments :thumb: and I am surprised we can agree here.;)

22. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

There is nothing simple about Chromium other than it's UI. There is no simple browser today.

23. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

If I really want to get more (and much more), I forget about tweaking and change the engine instead, so I use Opera.:cool:

24. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hehe, as I said, it was a playful jab :) Sure we can agree....for once, it's NOT Opera's fault :p...had to, for old time sake, lol. *exits the thread*

25. Sully

Sully Registered Member

That is true I am afraid. Only thing left of "simple" is how FEW options it has it seems. I prefer just a browser without all the "suite" type things, and turbo modes and blah blah. But under the hood, boy are you ever spot on with that comment.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.