Opera 10 alpha

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by rdsu, Dec 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arup

Arup Guest

It is modular, you can setup shortcuts to Opera to start without mail and other services. If you don't enable mail, newsreader, RSS, Opera starts without those and just has the HTML engine.

2. Arup

Arup Guest

Its exactly the opposite, only certain Javascript sites open a bit faster in Chrome, in overall speed Opera has it beat and FF can't come close to either Chrome or Opera.

3. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

It's not completely modular since you can not select just the features you want to be installed.

4. Arup

Arup Guest

Nope and most Opera users wouldn't want it that way, for myself and countless users, one app does it all, handles mail, news and RSS and even occasional torrents, no need for separate backups, updates etc. Opera with all this uses less resources than others. Also the interface makes sure that all stay out of your way unless its needed so its a non issue there as well.

5. ambient_88

You've got some good points there. However, I don't believe it will hurt Opera to allow a user to select just the features he or she wants to install.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I like opera like it is but it wouldnt hurt to have a more custom installation.
    atm i dont use opera mail so being able to uninstall it would be useful. As long I can add and remove stuff one its installed.

7. Arkham

Arkham Registered Member

I've been using opera for more than 6 years now, and I can't do without it. The 9.6x releases however seem to be really buggy. For no reason, some webpages stop working on it, and the browser completely freezes...requiring that it be killed from the task manager. Happens both in Vista as well as XP.:(

I hope v.10 fixes these problems.

As for opera mail, I never really liked it. I too will be happy if there is an option to completely remove it during installation.

8. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

And here I thought I was alone... Mine also freezes for a few seconds with some flash content and it CRASHES a lot. Especially with a few websites (never understood why).

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

9.62 is completely horrible.

i have used opera since 9.25 and the versions before 9.6 worked well.
    hoping 10 will be a great release.

10. ambient_88

It happened to me also, especially with YouTube. I've never experienced crashes on other websites that utilize Flash, so I can't comment about that. Nevertheless, there seems to be a problem with Opera and Adobe Flash. I don't know what it is, however.

11. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

Oh, it doesn't crash because of flash. Flash just freezes Opera. It just seemed to crash at random but when I noticed that if I restored the session it would crash again, I assumed it had to do with some website. Never bothered to find out which one though.

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Ok i want everyone to try this.
    go to the nokia website with opera 9.62 click on find products.
    there is a drop down menu which reads phone model number.
    try to select a product from that menu. if i do that here that tab just freezes if i click on the cross button for that tab opera will act strangely and i will have to end opera in task manager.

anyone using opera 10 please try the same.

13. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi

If Opera was as good as is claimed a lot more people would use it.

Firefox & Thunderbird got to where they are, not because they are brilliant, but because they offered a broad cross section of what users needed.

The developers of Firefox, did what Opera did not do made it easy to use and add to it. I prefer Opera because I like the integrated browser/mail client. But as I said in previous posts, too many sites are slow, and, in general, is not a speed merchant, good but nowhere near the best.

Opera widgets are a joke, for main stream security you accept, or not, what the developers offer. With Firefox the extensions (addons) are wonderful and are really functional. Not games like Opera. It is clear with Opera you can have what the developers want you to have, but thats it. That is why Opera is losing ground. When Chrome gets cracking it will be a challenge to all browsers.

Opera will never be main stream with the current developers mindset. Oh it could be so different.

Finally, for those who kid themselves and others it is the fastest, just use a stopwatch from clicking on a link to final steady state for a web page compared to other browsers. Forget the hype just look at the facts.

Terry

14. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

Funny how you managed to put "Opera" and "hyped" in the same sentence. Then go ahead and say Firefox is superior :rolleyes:

15. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Worked fine here, in www.nokia.pt

16. Arup

Arup Guest

The only reason Bloatfox is here today is due to MS's apathetic attitude to its own browser. Usually those who got infected via IE exploits got sucked in by the FF hype on security and followed the wave like sheep. Funny how an amateurish horribly written piece of code with memory leaks could manage to convince others that its better than IE. Not only that its bloated to start with, slow to load and since it doesn't work out of the box, one has to add the dreaded extensions to make it slower. Of course, extensions have the potential to make it less secure, the Greasemonkey script showed exactly that in the past. As for security over MS, thats another hype, as per Secunia, the only browser that consistently manages to stay clean is Opera, no other and FF gets plenty of holes which they patch eventually and so does MS, so whats the difference except falling for a poorly written piece of code.

Opera has always been the champion of resources and today, its a suite which has the least resource consumption and please remember, its a SUITE not a standalone browser. It loads fast, runs fast and best of all, its the securest as per final word. Even now with a slow machine, one can run Opera with ease, try that with Bloatfox. Also Bloatfox would never come close to the feature, interface or the overall style of Opera, they actually copied most of the Opera stuff, difference being Opera doesn't need questionable extensions to run the browser, it just runs out of the box, plain and simple. As for Widgets being s joke, well the same can be said about FF extensions, except Widget is an optional add on in case of Opera not a necessity which is not the case with FF, no extensions and FF is a crippled browser.

Don't need to take a stopwatch, by the time Bloatfox loads, I am already in process of opening a page in Opera, no contest there.

17. Arup

Arup Guest

From the Asia-Pacific site I selected Products and then selected N97, it worked fine here.

18. ambient_88

Some of your points are good, however, I disagree with some of it. While Firefox is not the fastest when it comes to startup, I find that the performance when browsing is just as good Opera's. Also, extensions are not needed for Firefox--I have used it before without using any extensions whatsoever. And it certainly does work out of the box. I don't know why you said it doesn't run out of the box.

As far as security is concerned, every software will have a vulnerability at some point. Now, Firefox is no different but they've been prompt in solving them. That is what really matters the most. Also, how is Firefox a poorly written piece of code? Have you actually looked at the source code? If you can justify your statement based on actual facts, you'll sound more convincing.

For the record, I do not favor one over the other. I use both interchangeably, so I am definitely not attached to either browser.

19. Arup

Arup Guest

To get Opera's functionality, FF needs extensions, otherwise you get a very start browser just for basic surfing.

The number of memory issues FF has had in the past and present along with slow load times as well as slow downs, yes, as a programmer to me thats classic signs of poor coding, plain and simple. FF doesn't come close to Opera's speed, as I said, by the time FF loads, I have already typed in the URL in Opera and the page is loaded at about 50%. If IE wouldn't have goofed up, there would be no FF. Opera existed before FF but the fact its from Europe and practically unknown in US didn't help in its popularity ratings. Those who heard about it and tried it, most of them kept it and are using it till today.

20. Arkham

Arkham Registered Member

I tried the nokiausa site Doesn't work for me.
    9.62 froze, and had to be shut down and restarted.:(
    This is on XP Pro Sp3.

21. Arkham

Arkham Registered Member

I far prefer Opera over FF. I've tried FF, and I never did like the interface or the sluggishness. Opera is much more streamlined, uses fewer resources, and is more responsive as far as I am concerned. I don't even keep a copy of FF installed on my systems anymore.

Not only you and me...happens on many systems. Frequently occurs on my sister's laptop too, and these crashes are quite random- you don't necessarily need to have flash on the site. Happens with both Vista Sp1 as well as XP Pro Sp3. I indoctrinated her into using Opera for the last 3 years :D ...I hope these crashes don't make her switch back to IE.:p

22. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Opera and Firefox are both good, i really don't understand why the hate Arup. :doubt:

I used to prefer Opera, now it's Firefox. For the same reasons you seem to hate it. It's a plain browser by default, and i do with it what i want. To search the web, it's THE tool to have for me, nothing else equals it. Yes with addons, so what. It ends up much more productive and tailored for your needs.

It's faster on my machine than Opera, no contest - version 3, ff2 was actually getting sluggish. Having said that, i don't feel the need to "trash" Opera. Opera is really good, great built in features, back button works in half a second, i can talk to it, etc etc. I just don't use it at the end of the day...

Comparing any of them to IE is ridiculous..

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  23. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

New alpha release - Opera 10 alpha Build 1219 - The Christmas Edition

Changelog
    • Several backend improvements to autoupdate
    • Made content filter rules with a whitespace at the end work
    • All languages are now included but not all are completed. Please do not file bugs on English text in the UI when using another language for your interface.
    • Made spellchecking work on contenteditable elements
    • Switching between html and plain text mail composition works better now
    • Added option to doubleclick a tab to close it opera:config#UserPrefs|DoubleclicktoCloseTab
    • Fixed crash when undeleting and running a widget
    • Improved stability in the search engine which indexes webpages and mail
    • Plus tons of behind the scenes changes, the low level changelog is more than 1000 lines.
    • Mac: Fixed startup crash on Mac OS X 10.3/Panther
    • Mac: Fixed the mail/chat counter background
    • Mac: Fixed low framerate on fullscreen YouTube videos

24. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

whats the difference between windows and windows classic?

Also does the alpha nomather wich build work without problems with windows live mail?

25. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I think Classic is more for Windows 95, 98 or NT 4.0.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.