Opera 10.6x (Alpha, Beta...) Now Final! - The Fastest Browser on Earth gets Faster !!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by nanana1, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Even when Opera gets the "Speed" crown, it is not resting....

This alpha release will give noticeable gains in performance, an improved user interface (UI), and lots of bug fixes.

Opera Core team never rests, and they have noticeably increased Opera's performance once again with performance improvements for both JavaScript, DOM and CSS.:D

In addition to the visual tweaks, such as the Speed Dial facelift, they have also been making further UI enhancements. The O menu button now says "Menu" for easy discovery, and instead of hard to read thumbnails for internal tabs, they have been replaced them with icons. The tab hover previews have also received a facelift.:-*

Following the major rewrite of the Opera Framework for 10.50, which replaced Carbon with Cocoa, they have now gone back and removed as much Carbon code as possible. The few things that are left are loaded dynamically, which should improve performance.:eek:

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/show.dml/

However, be warned that this is an alpha build of Opera. It is released for testing purposes, and there may be serious bugs and unfinished features.

2. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Re: Opera 10.60 Alpha - The Fastest Browser on Earth gets Faster !!!

Oh yes, smooth as butter on my Lucid. ;)

3. Eice

Eice Registered Member

4. linuxforall

http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/results.action?key=3cs7

More han 1.05% here, the top ranked machine is on Opera with 14234 points, now thats a whopping 50% more than the fastest Chrome machine there. Chrome can keep trying though, no one is stopping them ;) or when a certain Google fanboy stops trolling on every Opera post here I guess.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I have had quite alot of crashes with opera 10.5x so I hope 10.6 will be more reliable. Its still my favourite browser and keeps getting better.

6. linuxforall

lodore, whenever possible, make sure to report the crashes, this way they try and work it out next build.

7. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

I hardly get any crashes from Opera because I do a clean install each time for each build with settings migration.:cool:

8. linuxforall

Best way to do it.

9. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

whats the best way to do that? how do i miagrate the setting back into the newest version??

10. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Read this -----> http://www.opera.com/support/kb/view/313/

Google is your friend:p

11. zfactor

now when i uninstall opera it leaves those folder behind in the users folder do i really need to delete those also or can i uninstall and simply leave those there and then reinstall the newest version..

10.60 rocks so far for me for some reason night and day over 10.5x builds. just feels better overall

12. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Well, the good news is that the weird flickering in Facebook chat has gone away. The bad news is that I can't edit anything in Google Docs anymore. Masking as Firefox works, at the expense of screwing up the appearance of the documents list.

One step forward, two steps back, all for the sake of a 1% speed victory over Chrome...

13. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

I like to use the OSIE (Opera Settings Import & Export) free tool.

14. linuxforall

And the trolling continues.........

14324 points versus Chrome's best 7534 points, thats 1% for you, someone has failed math 101 it seems here, keep spreading FUD. Chrome does couple of aw snaps on sites here regularly, it also has tendency to hang on sites like Ubntuforums, nvidia forum and many vbulletin forum, many with Chrome installations are reporting corrupted profile and yet its about steps being taken backward by Opera, LOL!.

15. linuxforall

No need to delete those folders, they contain your settings, profile, ad filter, mail etc and will do no harm.

16. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I don't trust squat on that machine, 14k YEAH RIGHT not only is that WAY above the average but here are the results on my QUAD core @ 3.4Ghz:

pckpr.png

I will test Opera 10.6x at a later date and see if it beats Iron. Although I already think it will.

A little more to add, Eice, you're results are so sporadic and unbelievable I don't even know why you posted them. I'm going to assume (or rather hope) they were on completely different machines, unless you're trying to tell me 10.53 kicks 10.60's butt.

linuxforall's results look believable and realistic, so I'm going to guess he's done them all on 1 machine, thanks for posting them.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  17. Eice

Eice Registered Member

I didn't test 10.53. The most likely hypothesis I can come up with is that someone else tested 10.53 on a much newer machine than my 5-year-old laptop (an attempt to "prove" Opera's superiority, perhaps?).

18. elapsed

You know I only just thought about that, there's no protection from someone else hijacking your results, which is why I changed my post to an image.

What were your 10.53 results?

19. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Not running 10.53 at the moment. But I do remember it being slower than 10.54.

20. elapsed

Ok guys, I ran some updates and got new video drivers for my 5k series on the quad. I reran the tests on all 3 browsers. IE8, Iron 5x and Opera 10.53 all scored a little higher than my previous results.

I also installed IE9p2, Firefox 3.7a5pre, and Opera 10.60 alpha, the results are below.

pckpr.png

Interpret these results as you wish, they are from my machine, and your results WILL vary. Please note, I wish I could test Chromium 6.x alpha, but I'm too lazy to compile it, I don't wan't to install Chrome, and Iron doesn't have a v6 yet.

21. linuxforall

Thanks elapsed, don't worry about Chrome 6, it has been tested and Opera has bettered it as well, of course all these results would mean nothing to a certain Mr. 1% :)

22. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Interesting. I was expecting that the difference between Chrome and Opera would be amplified on a high-end machine, but it looks like it's still a 1%-ish margin.

23. zfactor

the difference on a higher end machine seems to negate the extra speed some, now on my older laptop i have as a simple test system to play with things before i trust them on my newer ones opera 10.60 is way faster than chrome (latest dev build 6+) but on my i7-930 overclocked to 4.2 i see very little to almost no difference while opera 10.6 is just a bit faster its close to what elapsed posted. ill try to re run results later tonight

24. linuxforall

25. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

No surprise with the high scoring on this Opera 10.60 Alpha 1 Build.:cool:

It's really good to set this high speed bar and motivates the other browsers to catch up, even if it is as close as a 1% difference:p

This build, though it's an alpha, is very blazingly fast and rock stable. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.