Opera 10.50 Final is released - The fastest browser on Earth

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by nanana1, Mar 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, same here.... :)

2. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

I have a ATI card and most likely, its the culprit. Using Opera 10.5 alpha in Linux with cheap nvidia card and this phenomenon doesn't occur there.

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yeah, it could be the culprit. It will be interesting to see what happens after the next Opera (for Windows) update/upgrade. I remember when Safari 3 was really fast & quite reliable. A few upgrades later & that all changed. Opera 10.50 is working surprisingly well for me at the moment. I hope it stays that way.

4. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

5. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi :)

Trying Opera For The Very First Time! :D

Love the Opera - Look! :cool:
    Not sure it's the Fastest Browser In The World though :doubt: Sometimes web pages seem half a web page as it loads o_O
    Just found my Spell checker .. While Typing This Post!

So Far.. The only thing that I really don't like :(
    When I go here : http://forums.computeractive.co.uk/
    Opera will get rid of some of the adverts .. But Not All!
    And my mouse sometimes does the spinny O when I try to get Opera to get rid of some of the Adds :eek:

Oh Yeah! - And No... WOT :'(

Any O Tips For Me Please?

Thanks In Advance! :thumb:

Zeena

6. pasha101

pasha101 Registered Member

7. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

8. linuxforall

Some pages aside, its one of the fastest and you don't need WOT with Haute Secure. Use fanboyz ad filter as sarceno suggested.

9. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I give up trying to find it Saraceno, what's the trick to getting 2 search boxes? :rolleyes:

10. Saraceno

elapsed, you can have as many search boxes from the list Opera provides as you want (there is probably a way to add others, like youtube etc).

If you have 'google' set as your home page, you might want to remove the standard google toolbar (as it is google.com, and you might be in another country and prefer your home button).

So right-click, customise, and remove say the google toolbar, if that's what you want.

Opera 1.png

Then right-click in tab bar, select customize and then appearance. Or go to Opera menu, and select appearance.

Opera 2.png

Make sure you click on the toolbar you want to 'alter'. Go to 'buttons' tab, and then 'search' in the sub menu. Then all you do is drag and drop to the toolbar, or wherever you want.

Opera 3.png

For example, say you have large screen, and you want the 'clock' near your back buttons and location bar, as that's where you'll see it more often.

Opera 4.png

Drag and drop the 'clock' where you want.

Opera 5.png

11. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi Guys :)

Thanks For The Tips! ;)

I'm still finding my way around Opera .. Going through all the Tutorials :doubt:

Re: Adverts
    It's only really that one website http://forums.computeractive.co.uk/ that I have a problem with :mad:
    Actually! - It was that one website that made me change from IE to Firefox .. Just over 12 months ago :rolleyes:
    That forum never used to have so many Adverts
    Then when it did start... I was using N360 v1 at the time - It's Add Blocker Was Brill :thumb:
    But then came N360 v2 :thumbd:
    Long Story.. But I've been using Avast for the last 12 months anyway :cool:

What I'm Trying To Say...
    The built in Add Blocker that Opera has seems really good :D
    Just that one website with it's million and one Adverts - Including.. Intellitext - :argh:

I'm Going Now!
    To carry on reading the O tutorials :D

Thanks!

Zeena

12. elapsed

Saraceno, thanks for taking the time to create that with screenshots, much appreciated. I had actually found the buttons section and clicked search, but just couldn't figure out how on earth to get it onto by bar. Never thought about dragging and dropping, thanks!

13. Gizzy

Gizzy Registered Member

Right-click a search box on a website and click Create Search then add a keyword and click OK.

You can even add the search for this forum. :thumb:

14. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi Guys :)

Re: This Website : http://forums.computeractive.co.uk/ - & - Green Words

Figured It Out! :D
    Opera had the power to block that stupid intelli thingy all by itself .. After All! :cool:

That website opens properly now too :thumb:
    Must have been all the Adds and intelli txt stuff .. That was making it load in such a strange way :rolleyes:

Zeena

15. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Opera 10.51 RC1 for Windows Build 3311 is released.

Changelog :

1. Several Carakan crash fixes
    2. Fixed CORE-27660 (Improve Carakan memory usage compared to Futhark)
    3. Fixed ALIEN-892 (Fix unite 404 issues due to zip loader not adding all folders)
    4. Fixed DSK-287613 (Crash when right-clicking entries under "All messages" and selecting Compose)

Find it here..... http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/show.dml/ *puppy*

16. elapsed

I'll wait for 10.51 release so I can take advantage of auto update, but thanks for informing us. :)

17. Saraceno

You are the greatest! ;)

I've been wanting a youtube search box for ages. For those others that need some pics, see below.

Click on any search box you come across. Right-click and select 'create search'.

youtube 1.png

Give it a keyword. I gave it 'yt' as 'y' was taken already. Also shortened the name to just 'YouTube'.

youtube 2.png

Under appearance, just drag and drop the search button in. Awesome. You can do this for Wilders search box, the 'Similarsites' search box, any search box you like. Who needs add-ons when you customise your whole browser yourself hey? :D

youtube 3.png

18. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Yes, Opera has some great features and tricks. Been using it on and off for a while but am just now starting to swoon(?). And I really like their built-in torrent client. Still, while I used windows xp, i found k-meleon faster, and on linux, it is not any faster than firefox. I do not consider any of the browsers mentioned slow, so that aspect is really a non-issue for me.

19. linuxforall

In Linux x64, it blows the existing FF here, in Windows, Opera ties with Google on most and edges it out on some sites.

20. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

My observations were just that, no science involved. And I can only speak of xp since that is the last ms system I used, but k-meleon was the only browser where I noticed a speed difference. Waiting for Opera to come out with a linux version of their latest. Also, I did not notice a speed increase in Ubuntu with firefox 3.6. Did, however, notice a downgrade in the font rendering (9.10 ppa).

21. linuxforall

Did you compare 10.5 to K-Meleon, every tests including formal and informal I have thrown at brings Opera 10.5 and Chrome at top followed by rest.

22. Daveski17

I'm pretty sure K-Meleon 1.5.4 & Opera 10.50 are about the same, speed wise, however I think KM sometimes beats Opera. SRWare Iron is supposedly faster than Chrome & I think it's the fastest browser I've ever used.

23. linuxforall

You are talking about old Opera 10.10 which was a tad bit slower than K-Meleon and SR Ware Iron, the new Opera 10.50 beats Chrome beta in benchmarks and real world. The Chrome beta is quicker than SR Ware Iron.

24. Daveski17

I don't know about the Chrome beta. Iron 5 is out in alpha but I haven't tried that either. On my platform Opera 10.50, K-Meleon 1.5.4 & SRWare Iron 4.0.280 are all about the same really. I think Iron has the edge on the other two though, marginally. It may be just my imagination. Iron fires up & runs faster than the others. I'm impressed with Opera 10.50's performance though.

25. linuxforall

Please do a Peacekeeper benchmakr, make sure to disable any extensions in your other browser and user.js in Opera if using any.

http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/index.action

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.