Opera 10.10 released

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bman412, Nov 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

Seems this package comes with the Opera Unite features.

Attached Files:

2. Creer

Creer Registered Member

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

It seems there is no option for not installing Opera Unite. I detest all these gadgets & frills. :thumbd:

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I have the 10.10 update downloaded.
    No way I'm installing it with Unite included.

5. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

does this release fix the high memory use?..

6. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Registered Member

Opera 10.01 just auto-installed 10.10 on me without my approval, even though I specifically told it never to download or update without notifying me.

I wasn't expecting Unite. This seems inherently insecure, and a gigantic backdoor. I don't want it, and now I'm faced with a difficult situation because it got there automatically.

Does anyone have any idea about the inherent security impact Unite makes to Opera? Is there any way to strip out the Unite component and leave the browser and mail function behind?

7. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Yes, end of the road for me with Opera. I am sticking to 10.01 and that's it.

3,3 MB of extra crap on the installer, for feature that i will never use.

Well, if you consider that browsers are usually full of holes waiting to be discovered, i certainly wouldn't want a browser with the ability to act as FTP server...

For me it's far superior risk than even p2p. At least in p2p it's a specialized software, one folder is only put on "share" and there is no 3d party plugins that could have a vulnerability of their own and exploit the program.

In Opera, you have widgets, flash, java, shockwave, pdf plugins, torrent plugin. If any of them has a hole, who says that it can't exploit the built in "Opera Unite" and take access over anything?

I really like Opera, but i prefer taking the risk of sticking to an old version, rather than install this 3,3 MB crap.

8. Fuzzfas

Heh, that's why i have set my opera to NEVER check for updates... Being paranoid pays off sometimes. :D

Opera always runs heavy on RAM and adding on the installer 25% more crap, won't help there i imagine. If you mean about memory leaks, try setting to accept all cookies. It's what was causing me huge leak with 10.0. But 10.01 seems better anyway.

9. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Not so fast with your conclusions,just read all the Q/A pages.
    Your shared files are in sandbox like environment,other files can't remotely assessed by others !

10. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Although i don't like it too i see no slowdowns with this new features. Same with their email. If you dont use it you wont even notice its there. Perhaps Opera boots slower with all these things? Anyone know? I only know Opera starting with 9.1 or so.

11. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

I installed the new version, but it seems, you have to intentionally setup opera unite for it to work.

So by default, it's not activated. So by the looks of things, I wouldn't worry about installing the new version - just don't activate and setup opera unite (by default it is not setup).

See screenshot:
    opera unite.jpg

12. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

OT
    What skin is that?

13. Saraceno

14. Saraceno

Just for your interest, I always remove the fast forward and rewind buttons, only leave forward and back (also remove wand etc).

I seem to always add a 'new tab' button whenever I set this up for others, for those times when you don't want a tab added to the end, but next to the current tab you're on.

15. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

16. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Yes i like it minimal too. I have removed the ugly misplaced :) google search box. Never use it. Also dont need the menu bar.

2009-11-24_164227.jpg

The "JS" button is for fast JavaScript On/Off. Doesn't look very good but its useful.

17. Saraceno

That looks great. How did you remove the top menu bar and add the google chrome type buttons/options at the far right?

Is it an additional download?

18. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I hope they start to make Opera even more compatible and faster on next versions...

They also have issues with proxies, and refuse or try to fixe them...

But still is my favourite browser...

19. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2009
  20. Carbonyl

I feel completely the same way. Even if the Unite feature is switched off, how long until Malware attacks figure out how to switch it on without approval or user input? Unfortunately, bringing this up on the official Opera forums got me flamed crispier than a shikibob on an overhot grill, so I'm going to assume this feature will never be locked down.

As an aside, 10.01 has a severe security flaw. You may reconsidering using it.

21. Fuzzfas

The sad part about Opera, is that once upon a time, they were doing their best to honour their commercial motto "the fastest browser in the planet".

Nowdays, i am afraid they 're not, but on the other hand they seem to have taken the "Nero Syndrome", into happily adding more and more features (as if mail and torrent weren't enough) to a supposed "browser".

Just like with Nero, i don't see me following this trend. Maybe they should apply for "most bloated browser on the planet".

While having the feature "dormant" may not impact browser speed (i don't know), it sure doesn't help trimming RAM and CPU either i suppose. Cause the program has grown bigger.

Of course we both agree about the security risk.

Really? Well, i guess i should be reviewing my options sooner than i thought.

Shame... It was my fav browser.

22. well as usual i'm a tad late to the party, just installed , looks like Opera has added terrific features , speed is fine. I just tired of Firefox as it's becoming a bloated behemoth, love the Opera Unite

23. Carbonyl

A shame indeed. I was partial to Opera myself for the no-nonsense approach and lightweight appeal. That they keep injecting it with crap just to stay 'competitive' with other browsers and features like Google Wave is just evidence that they've forgotten why they made the browser in the first place.

I can't say I care for their community, either. Apparently suggesting that Opera Unite is a security risk is enough to get you banned. They locked my forum thread over there, because apparently if you turn Opera Unite off, you're magically secure. I'm sure they'll all be in for a shock when the next breach hits.

I hate to bring bad news, but I'll link to the findings here. It seems Opera users now have the choice between insecurity... or insecurity.

24. Fuzzfas

Me too. All i want in a browser is to display well sized fonts (i seem to have a problem with that since i use 125% fonts in Win7 and browser tend to go too big or too small (Firefox) , mouse gestures, good speed and not too much configuration. Oh and i love the speed dial!Opera was good in that. IE8 is zooming 125% by default and most webpages look horrible. On 100% the fonts are too small.

Yes, it's like Nero. "Now we introduce Backup Utility!". Hurray! "Now we introduce to you video conversion utility". Hurray! The problem with that, is that you satisfy those who like such multi-task programs, but you make leave those who wanted " a burning program". Same goes for Opera.

Yes, how naive...

From your link:

"The most serious flaw could allow a malicious attacker to take complete control of a system, Opera said in an advisory."

So that flaw with Opera Unite, would actually give the attacker a ready-to-use server on the victim's PC...

But that isn't going to happen, cause the user will have Unite disabled, right? ROFLMAO! :D I don't read Opera's forum, but if they think that since the feature is disabled, they are "secure", they live in a very naive world of their own.

I guess the attacker in the above vulnerability will think "Oh, it's not fair to enable Opera Unite and zombify my victim using its own server, he had it disabled!" :D o_O

I will try Firefox in a while, i found there is a speed dial plugin. We 'll see.

The problem with browser vulnerabilities, is that you don't know how back they go. For example, if i use Opera 9.64, is the vulnerability also there? Who knows...

Thanks for the bad news though.

25. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

Installed and was running fine until I tried to upload a video to youtube. Reverted to the previous version and was again able to upload.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.