openvpn over tor

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by securitycoolguy, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. securitycoolguy

securitycoolguy Registered Member

i just started using tor and thought it would be a great way of upping my security by running openvpn over it to stop possible leakage through java script and such. i changed the proxy socks settings on the openvpn client to 127.0.0.1:9050 and it connect just fine. but, soon after crashes. how can one successfully use openvpn over tor.

2. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

It's not complicated just use the Tor browser bundle to keep it simple and working nice.

First start your OpenVPN connection, then once you are connected to the VPN start the Tor browser bundle, which will launch Vidalia, then your browser will be connected to Tor through the OpenVPN, that's all there is to it...

I get the feeling your starting Tor first then OpenVPN, it doesn't work like, that VPN is going to be your network tunnel that everything passes through...

So if you were using WiFi as an example on a laptop, once your are connected to the VPN your connectivity is nothing going any longer through the Wifi also known as the wlan0 adapter it's going through the tun/tap adapters of the VPN.

You don't change any settings on OpenVPN like you did, just start the OpenVPN connection first and make sure you are connected to the VPN then connect to Tor next and like I said now all Tor is going through the VPN as well... ;)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.