openVPN issue

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by runswick, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. runswick

runswick Registered Member

Hi

Im trying to stop DNS leaks when using Mullvad and OpenVPN and COMODO on Windows 7.

I can connect, everything seems OK but running the test at dnsleaktest.com shows my ISP! This is a common problem with lots of suggestions on Google but I havent

really found what im looking for.

The 3rd party apps seem to interfere with my connection and other settings and I regularly have to enable/disable or remove TAP adapters to get back online.

I would rather learn how to configure windows and COMODO than use the apps so I decided to take the advice on DNS (http://www.dnsleaktest.com/how-to-fix-a-dns-leak.php)

Solution A at dnsleaktest is automatic and they suggest installing some batch files. This works the first time, checking dnsleaktest.com works, but following a reboot

the openVPN window says RESOLVE: Cannot resolve host address: openvpn.mullvad.net: [NO_DATA] The requested name is valid but does not have an IP address, and to get

back online I need to change my wireless network adapter properties for IPv4 back to obtain an IP address automatically and reboot.

Thinking about the sequence of events perhaps is it possible to change the setting back to obtain an IP address automatically at windows shutdown then on restart it

gather ip address appropriately then through the batches it secures the DNS?

Ive tried out the command - netsh interface ip set address "Wireless Network Connection" dhcp in a batch running at system startup with task scheduler doesnt work

Can you help with the automation of the twice reboot and config of ipv4 on the adapter to make the batch files work and windows to always have a secure DNS?

Thanks

2. popcorn

popcorn Registered Member

Hi,
    I had never suffered DNS leaks but regularly use http://www.dnsleaktest.com/ to check, I decided to run http://www.dnsleaktest.com/how-to-fix-a-dns-leak.php .bat files "just in case" :rolleyes:
    I know have the same issues as you, also upon connection I now DO have DNS leakage. I have tried uninstalling, manual deletion of the .bat files and a full system restore to no avail.
    I am now using openDNScrypt to encrypt my DNS inquiries.
    I mentioned this in a previous thread, cannot recall where now but am still none the wiser.
    Any help seriously appreciated,
    Thanx Popcorn

3. runswick

runswick Registered Member

Thanks for that, I mentioned I didnt want to use any 3rd parties,...
    Is it possible to config what I want in W7?
    I have tried group policy and a shutdown script doesnt seem to work either!
    R

4. popcorn

popcorn Registered Member

Hi,
    I imagine so but with my limited (but slowly expanding) knowledge I'm not the right person to ask :eek:
    However I'm pretty certain someone with the required "goods" can offer us both assistance...
    I have frustrated all my attempts to resolve this, my next step is a fresh install,I have been hanging on for a solution, openDNScrypt although its a brilliant app is only a stop gap.
    Popcorn

5. CasperFace

CasperFace Registered Member

You need to add an exception so that your system can resolve the hostname of the VPN authentication server via your regular DNS, or store the IP address <> hostname pairing locally so that it doesn't have to be resolved. In the case of the latter, you would need to go into %HOMEDRIVE%\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc, open the hosts file in a text editor, and add the following line:
    Code:
    46.21.99.21 openvpn.mullvad.net

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.