openSUSE installation guide

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi all,

Time to refresh the openSUSE installation tutorial ...

Three years after the rather popular SUSE 10.1 installation tutorial, we have a brand new, extensive, step-by-step guide to installing openSUSE (11.2), including installations from DVD and live CD, both Gnome and KDE desktops, covering all aspects of the installation process, from choosing the right image via partitioning to setting up the bootloader.

I think this is a must for anyone ever considering using openSUSE. Enjoy.

And openSUSE 11.2 Gnome review coming soon too!

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/opensuse-install.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Nice guide as usual, Mrk :) So i tried it, found the grub installation a bit confusing and discovered it seems to set the selected linux partition active no matter what, which is not what I want but the fix was at least easy. Mint does not do this. I want to always boot off Windows MBR, then use it (boot mgr) to select Linux if I want, which will then take me to grub menu. Maybe I missed something, oh well. Not a bad distro but seems it can not find driver for my finicky gpu's. Mint searches for and finds them immediately when I try to enable desktop effects. Overall I still prefer the look and feel and better seamlessness of Mint over this. Will stick with Mint, the Dog's Bollocks :D

3. Eice

Eice Registered Member

wat0441,

For NVIDIA drivers, this might help: http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA

I don't use openSUSE on my ATI/Broadcom machine since I can't be arsed to recompile the kernel to get the latest and greatest video drivers, but on my Intel machine openSUSE GNOME works like a dream. Nice custom menu, slick default theme, and well-thought packages (Pidgin > Telepathy). Unlike Mint it's a "pure" FOSS operating system (the ideology might be appealing to some), and if you're willing to spend an hour or three following instructions on the graphics drivers, openSUSE is definitely worth a try.

4. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Thank you Eice! I'll have a look at that. BTW, it was the amd64 ver of openSUSE I tried, so maybe that was the issue with the unsupported graphics.

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I'm running the latest Nvidia drivers, just enabled the extra repo and that's it.
    Worked like a charm. Everything blasting full throttle...
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.